Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 08:59 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Did you read the link that was left for you? It gives 3 reasons why it may smell like fish, one is electrical, so make sure you read it. I copied the info below for you.

I know your place is new, I think that the person that mentioned something dying is probably right. Something probably got sealed up in your son's wall while they were building.

You've checked the heat ducts, which would have been what I check, but I'd be using a vacuum cleaner to see if something was either left in it such as trash from the builders or something dead.

Does he have a medicine cabinet in the wall? That's another potential workers trash can. I don't know why some employees do things like this but they do. Some are just slobs, I guess some may be mad at the employer, so they throw all sorts of trash in the walls or heat ducts.

Why does my drain smell of fish?

If your kitchen or bathroom is reeking of fish, despite the lack of fish in that area, this could be an indication of a sewer gas leak, poor water quality or an electrical fault.

Sewer Gas: The location of the sewer gas could be varied e.g. a neglected drain, or the venting system. A professional surveyor can root out the problem, and identify the area of your plumbing system where the sewer gases are emanating from.

An Electrical Fault: The scent may actually not be coming from a water source, as suspected. A described ‘fishy’ smell could actually be the plastic of electric wires overheating. If suspected, this should be dealt with immediately. Electrical fires could mean destruction and injury, so bring in a professional to check out your home electrics.

Poor Water Quality: If the scent transpires to be neither of the above options, the issue could lie with the quality of your water. Take this up with your local water company who should be dealing with concerns of this nature – they may test your water quality for you.
I did read your article before, actually. Thanks for posting it...

It cannot be sewer gas. I ran cold water in both the sink and tub (in that bathroom) AFTER I turned off the hot shower. THEN I opened the door and the smell comes up 10 seconds later.... So, it is still doing it.

I do not believe it is a problem with the water. No other place in the apartment suffers from this. Mt bathroom and shower does not do this. And, the bathroom doesn't smell at all until I OPEN the bathroom door. Then the smell starts. Run the hot shower and never open the bathroom - it does nothing.

There is no medicine cabinet.

I closed the a/c vent to the bathroom 2 days ago. Today, I plan to tape plastic over it to make it airproof, and experiment with it again. Just to eliminate that possibility.

The bedroom itself has no smell in it either.

If it is electrical? I suppose that is possible. I read about that prior to posting here. But how come there is no smell unless a hot shower is run. I do not think it is electrical

Old 05-30-2021, 09:05 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Your nom de plume involves the ocean and you are asking this question?
Okay, that is funny.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,513,824 times
Ok, I figured it out.

There is an a/c vent in the bathroom. I closed it, but air still comes thru a little.

I took a garbage bag and taped it completely over the vent. Then, did the experiment. NO smell.

So, it's pulling air from the vent. Something in the vent or a/c closet is causing the smell.

The a/c closet is also on the other side of that wall.

Management keeps the a/c closet locked, because they claim they do not want people storing stuff in there. So, I have to wait for maintenance to come tomorrow (you have to call maintenance to change your air filter - since we are not allowed to do so because of the locked door).

It is somewhat strange that when the a/c blows when the shower is NOT running, there is no smell. But, when the shower is run and the room fills up with steam - once the door is opened, something in the a/c vent (or down the line thru the vent) makes that smell... So, it's like the smell comes once the steam goes back down into the vent.

That's weird - but it's from the vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.