Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 07:38 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times

Advertisements

I completely agree with you OP - I love a nicely edged lawn. We live in Florida with a nice area of lawn in the front of our house. Our landscaper comes every week and the "trim" is done about every third week and boy is it noticeable! Nice deep trims on all the edges. I sometimes text him afterwards to compliment him on the job - it looks so good. He has a woman who works with him and does the edging while he does the larger area riding on his mower. Another guy handles the bushes and trees.

All of the houses in the neighborhood have grass lawns but I haven't noticed any other lawns with the deep edging and trim that's done for us. We tip them all (there's three) very well at Christmas - maybe that's why
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 08:32 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Since moving to this home with a concrete driveway and patio I’ve slowly tamed our yard and the edging of the patio and driveway. As I drive around I notice so very few people bother to edge the curbs, sidewalks, and driveways. I’m no gardening wizard but I was taught at a young age the skill to edge such places. If maintained it doesn’t need to be done weekly. To me it’s a finishing move that gives the lawn a better look. Most homes and businesses in my area don’t edge. So,e don’t even use a lawn trimmer to even put those edges. Have you noticed if more or less people perform edging? The tools for edging include a shovel like tool, a rolling star edger, an electric or gas powered edger, or using a trimmer turned on its side to perform edging. If not edged in a long time it’s best to start with a gas or electric powered edger or trimmer. Once filled edged then the manual tools are better in that they create a more smooth and even line and can be done anytime day or night without disturbing the neighbors plus it’s a bit of exercise.
Maybe just your neighborhood? Most folks edge where I live. I don't do it often enough myself, but I certainly know how to. I do my curbs regularly but I had not done the driveway and front walkway in over a year. Last week took a shovel and cut a clean edge - I think I took nearly 7 inches off the driveway!

Old 05-29-2021, 09:36 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
I agree it looks better.

I do my own yard work. It actually took a while to learn how to properly edge (I don't own an edger, I just use my string trimmer). But I can go on my morning walks and while most houses are edged, some are not, and those that don't tend to ignore their yard in other ways (weeds, overgrown bushes, etc.).

The next thing I need to learn to do is trim our front tree. It's looking pretty wild. But we've had so little rain I don't want to stress it by cutting pieces off of it right now.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:28 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Yes, edging is a skill and art. No, not everyone knows how and thus you shouldn't let them lose on your lawn as badly done edging can kill grass, trees, and plants.

https://www.turfmagazine.com/mainten...the-right-way/

So many so called "landscaping" guys hire whoever they can find standing around Home Depot or Lowes for the day. They can cut grass well enough, rake, etc.... But there are certain things you just shouldn't let any eegit do to your lawn.

Old 05-29-2021, 06:34 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I agree it looks better.

I do my own yard work. It actually took a while to learn how to properly edge (I don't own an edger, I just use my string trimmer). But I can go on my morning walks and while most houses are edged, some are not, and those that don't tend to ignore their yard in other ways (weeds, overgrown bushes, etc.).

The next thing I need to learn to do is trim our front tree. It's looking pretty wild. But we've had so little rain I don't want to stress it by cutting pieces off of it right now.
I don’t stress most weeds. Just the nature of where I live. Once a year I spread a weed and feed. For more troublesome big weeds I spray a killer directly on the weed and deal with the bald patch for several months. Most recent was a thistle that kept growing outward despite regular cutting and weed and feed spreading. It was more than 2 feet wide. Thistle is a beautiful flower but those thorns,...

Old 05-30-2021, 04:59 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's all about having the right equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOGRD2AJN_U
That’s a old Montgomery Wards edger.

Old 05-30-2021, 05:49 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Monkey wards is long gone. Years ago gas mowers would last for years and now they are gummed up in a years time. I got a EGO over 3 years ago bro and it has not missed a beat pete.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:58 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not in my hood then nothing grows anyways since we never get rain living right on the gulf in FL.
Wait a few days. Once June hits, you'll have more than enough rain. At least until the end of September.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:46 AM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
I trim the driveway, the walkways, all of the landscaping beds, around the patio, trees, play set, garden box, shed, fence, everything. I use a Kawasaki professional gas trimmer; I hold it up on its side to cut in. Once you cut into turf about 3 inches deep with a spade, backfill with mulch, it is easy to keep trimmed. With the trimmer I move at a fast walk. I wear long pants and eye protection. Takes less than 30 minutes for the entire yard. Looks sharp.
Attached Thumbnails
Is edging a forgotten skill?-7818ce0e-283e-4b6e-a219-58bea87f87bf.jpeg  

Old 05-30-2021, 12:41 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Wait a few days. Once June hits, you'll have more than enough rain. At least until the end of September.
We didn't last year. It was a very dry summer in Tampa Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House