Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:22 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Simple - a lot of people are L-A-Z-Y. Or can't be bothered as the summer gets hot. I have a neighbor that uses a rider mower. Whatever the rider mower can't get to or reach, he doesn't bother with. That means all along the curb his grass is currently about a foot tall. He'll eventually get to it, once his wife makes him do it lol.

I no longer mow my lawn, but the lawn guy uses his weedwacker to edge and it looks fine. Back when I did mow, I edged (with a real edger) every other week.
Meh, that is what roundup is for.

I edged my lawn in suburban Florida, and on my rural property I even still have the edger sitting out in the tall grass here to taunt it. The "edges" I deal with are fence lines, forests, and intruding blackberry brambles, privet and saw vines. Those laugh at edgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 10:26 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I don't care enough to do it with an edging attachment. A weedeater on its side does just fine. WE don't have a curb either, so it's just the driveway.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:24 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
I'm going to have to try the edging with a weed wacker. I watched a few youtube videos. I do think the neat edge looks great. Not too hopeful my edging will yield that though.

Old 06-01-2021, 04:42 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I guess younger people don't learn how to mow and edge a yard from their parents any more.

I haven't used an actual edger in decades. Just use the weedeater held vertically. Once you get the trench established it works great. First time, you'll be throwing a lot of dust and dirt, though, and you'll use up a fair amount of line that first time.

I tell my wife I'm going to start offering classes to millennial homeowners: "What your parents should have taught you about keeping up a house and yard."

- How to mow the yard
- How to set the lawnmower so all four wheels are the same height and you don't get a weird sawtooth effect
- How to use a hoe
- How to rake leaves without a blower
- How to unstop a toilet
- How to replace a light fixture
- how to replace a sprinkler head
- How to plant a shrubbery or small tree
- How to clean out the gutters

and so on.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:21 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I'm going to have to try the edging with a weed wacker. I watched a few youtube videos. I do think the neat edge looks great. Not too hopeful my edging will yield that though.
It does.

Old 06-01-2021, 05:42 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Meh, that is what roundup is for.
Roundup, it’s more for chemical exposure snd damage to the environment but certainly an easy path for lazy individuals.

Old 06-01-2021, 07:34 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,258,290 times
I keep my lawn and curbing edged and it looks great. The neighbors on either side of me and across the street from me rarely edge. And to me their lawns just don’t look as nice. Then again, my grass looks awful in this drought so I have nothing to complain about. As soon as the rainy season gets here I’ll be reseeding or installing some sod.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:35 AM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I guess younger people don't learn how to mow and edge a yard from their parents any more.

I haven't used an actual edger in decades. Just use the weedeater held vertically. Once you get the trench established it works great. First time, you'll be throwing a lot of dust and dirt, though, and you'll use up a fair amount of line that first time.

I tell my wife I'm going to start offering classes to millennial homeowners: "What your parents should have taught you about keeping up a house and yard."

- How to mow the yard
- How to set the lawnmower so all four wheels are the same height and you don't get a weird sawtooth effect
- How to use a hoe
- How to rake leaves without a blower
- How to unstop a toilet
- How to replace a light fixture
- how to replace a sprinkler head
- How to plant a shrubbery or small tree
- How to clean out the gutters

and so on.
Although all of what you said is true as far as actual lawn care is concerned, there are many homeowners who don’t care or take it to a level that others do. It’s not a concern f to them or something they actually notice.

Personally, I do and when I look at landscaping I have an eye for symmetry, proper spacing, sizing and even trimming trees to ensure shape and primary leader growth, etc. Many of my friends and others have no clue or interest and wild their trees are loaded with suckers and wild untrimmed growth, they are content with the way their yard looks.

All the teaching and education will not help those who have no interest in taking the time to learn and do!

Old 06-02-2021, 03:58 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Roundup, it’s more for chemical exposure snd damage to the environment but certainly an easy path for lazy individuals.
We also use Roundup. I’m 52 and have a bad shoulder from an injury in the military. I can’t do some things I use to or as long as I use to. I use Roundup for growth that comes up through the concrete driveway and patio, for around the water and gas meter, and as a starter to edging when the edging had been neglected for so long when we moved into the home. Occasional a really troublesome large weed will need to be sprayed because nothing else available seemed to work. I use to use Roundup regularly at the trailer where we once lived because using a trimmer would damage the skirting and this was a cheap one handed electric trimmer, smallest available at the time. In my youth I cleared nearly an acre with a swing blade in a day. Those days are long gone.

Old 06-02-2021, 05:10 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yeah I usually skip over your posts, Roasts.
Don't see so joe as ya keep making a reply sly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House