Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 08:57 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times

Advertisements

I've had some threads about dehumidifiers but today I finally took a look at my sump pump pit. I've been running the dehumidifier for a week or two now. Some water goes in and it's fine. I had rain last weekend and there wasn't enough to really fill the thing and now I kinda see why.

First there looked to be some sort of broken flower pot pits in the pit so I took them out. No biggie. then I saw something black. there's a pipe with water going into the pit. There's also a hole in the pit taking water somewhere. I have no idea where this water is coming from or going. It's slow, very slow but obvious once I kicked some dirt in. We're talking lazy river type of flow not jet stream, I've seen toilets probably leak more than this.

I have public water and sewer. I know where the main water lines are and see no connections at all that would go into the basement. As far as I know there's no output of water anywhere outside the house. To note there is no radon in the house. The water level does not appear to be rising but I think the hole has capacity for the discharge from the dehumidifier which might explain why the sump pump hasn't gone on.

The date of construction I would say was late 1960's. I would argue the discharge might be a leech field somewhere but I'm not sure where the water is coming from. It's really low amounts of water, I'll probably clean the thing next week.

any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 11:38 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
It sounds like you have a french drain system that directs water from under the foundation and into the pit. When the pit fills, the pump whisks it away.

Old 06-02-2021, 11:46 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Air conditioner condensate drain?

Old 06-02-2021, 12:14 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
I don't think they had a A/C there. It's a basement. If it's a french drain where does it go?!?

Old 06-02-2021, 12:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,238,505 times
What is keeping the sump pump off the bottom of the pit?

Old 06-02-2021, 01:15 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
I have two sumps in my basement. Both contain a sort of french drain style drain pile that runs around the interior perimeter of my basement.

My setup is very similar to this, except i don't have the exterior, foundation drain.

http://www.harrycaswell.com/sitebuil...mp-721x528.jpg

Old 06-02-2021, 01:16 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
If it's a french drain where does it go?!?

That would depend on where said house is, when it was built, and if it was properly permitted/built to code- if enforced, etc.

Some foundation drain systems that use sumps are pumped into the sewer system, storm water system, or to the surface some distance away from the structure. Lots of possibilities!

Old 06-02-2021, 01:26 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
My old house in Brighton NY was on the top of a hill. The street was roughly 15 feet below the house. The sump was drained into a hidden exit at the lower corner of the property. No pump. And we really needed the sump...the upstream basin wall collapsed when the home was being built. It was fixed with a couple of flying buttresses and the sump. Worked fine.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:03 PM

294 posts, read 234,962 times
In my previous home I had a sump pit outside the basement, and it took the water from the french drains around the outside of the house and pumped it to a popup further out in the yard. This is the only thing that kept the basement from flooding in extremely heavy rain (every few years kind of rain). I was looking with some plumbers to run a pipe from the pit out to the curb, as I had a couple of sump pump failures and needed something better. This sounds like a similar thing.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:48 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,422,760 times
My original sump pit has two pipes running into it: one from the washer/utility sink setup and the other from the drain for the stairwell just outside the door. That sump empties into the municipal waste water system and has since 1959. The second sump pump in the finished half of the basement has two drainage tubes that empty to it from the system designed to keep that area dry. It pumps water up and out of the basement and then turns and runs down to a grate at the bottom of the sloping front lawn. We tried to drain it to the back yard at first but there wasn't enough room or sufficient drainage. I miss my setup at the old house where I could pump right out into the VDOT ditch - sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House