Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 06:05 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Somebody help me out here - aren’t “engineered” floors and “hardwood” floors two different animals? And therefore no such thing as “engineered hardwood.”
This can easily be googled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 08:34 PM

829 posts, read 629,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
luxury vinyl tile? Is it nice looking?
A family member has very dark hardwood floors and has despised them ever since she moved into the house, so I can relate to how difficult they are to keep clean.

I would recommend spending some time visiting a few flooring places that offer luxury vinyl tile (LVT), as I imagine there are many different manufacturers and looks. We were in a (window treatment) showroom last week and were surprised when they told us the flooring was LVT. It honestly looked like hardwood. We had some put over Trex (with a plywood sub-floor between them when we converted our screened in porch to a 3 season room and were told by the installer that you can use any cleaner on it and it's pretty much indestructible.

Good luck!

Old 06-07-2021, 09:36 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Engineered flooring, is just a name for Ply Wood. Top layer is just a thin layer of hardwood.

Old 06-08-2021, 06:45 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
This whole "dark floors" thing reminds me of a time, around 2000, when everyone wanted to have dark/British racing green tiles all over the place. Floors, counters, tub surrounds, etc.

Nowadays it looks like the shag carpet from the 60's, or the orange/yellow/green appliances from the 70's. It all dates the home to a very certain period. And it is still just as ugly.

There is a reason floors have been a lighter wood color for decades. I can appreciate your dislike for the coffee floors, OP, and can only think that the best solution is tearing the stuff out and replacing it with something more to your liking. Costly, but it is a one time deal as opposed to living with something which you despise for years/decades on end.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:00 AM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This whole "dark floors" thing reminds me of a time, around 2000, when everyone wanted to have dark/British racing green tiles all over the place. Floors, counters, tub surrounds, etc. [...]

A travesty. British racing green should only be on a Triumph, a Jaguar, or an Aston Martin.

Attached Thumbnails
Engineered hardwood floors need help-ebay985421.jpg   Engineered hardwood floors need help-13337178.jpg   Engineered hardwood floors need help-6a878023728e32ebd99c6f3e74eb9382.jpg  

Old 06-08-2021, 07:45 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,067,711 times
Buy a roomba let it vacuum everyday, put down some accent rugs.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:13 AM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
luxury vinyl tile? Is it nice looking?
Its OK but a significant comedown from wood IMHO. We tried it and it looked so bad we stopped them in mid installation and returned the unused portion and replaced it with ceramic tile. Refinishing is a dicey proposition because they may sand off to much in places and have to use a magic marker to draw in the grain.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:20 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This whole "dark floors" thing reminds me of a time, around 2000, when everyone wanted to have dark/British racing green tiles all over the place. Floors, counters, tub surrounds, etc.

Nowadays it looks like the shag carpet from the 60's, or the orange/yellow/green appliances from the 70's. It all dates the home to a very certain period. And it is still just as ugly.

There is a reason floors have been a lighter wood color for decades. I can appreciate your dislike for the coffee floors, OP, and can only think that the best solution is tearing the stuff out and replacing it with something more to your liking. Costly, but it is a one time deal as opposed to living with something which you despise for years/decades on end.
This is likely what we'll do...we have someone coming to give us an estimate tomorrow.

Old 06-08-2021, 02:40 PM

22,178 posts, read 19,217,049 times
why not just put area rugs on it?

Old 06-08-2021, 02:55 PM

20 posts, read 13,463 times
I have engineered dark wood floors and they don't show dirt - I have to sweep daily or every other day because I have a dog and can feel the dog hair on my feet, which isn't fun, but you can't really see it.

I wash my floors with hot water and cleaning solution and I also have a steam cleaner, which is super easy to use and does an amazing job of cleaning.

Can you upload a pic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House