Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 10:08 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I have a Ring doorbell. It is amazing that the delivery people can get in, put down the package, and back away without ever setting off the Ring doorbell. I have recalibrated the doorbell several times, but unless someone stays put for more than 2 seconds, the doorbell doesn't register the presence.

I have special instructions on all packages "Ring doorbell when delivering". No one ever does. Not Amazon, not FedEx, not UPS. I don't routinely use my front door. Sometimes packages stay there for days.
Sounds like to you need to check the sensitivity setting on your Ring. Mine picks up everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 06:29 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Don't bother it's a waste of your money. USPS/FedEX/UPS don't bother with that, unless the package
is $$$$$$$$$.

Your money would be better spent on a PO BOX. Depending on locations they cost around $10 a month.
Not sure I follow you.

Are you saying they just drop packages at your home even though you are supposed to sign for them (and you didn't sign)?

I have had them leave me the notes on a number of occasions in the past when I had signature confirmation. I actually had to drive to the PO to pick of said packages if they miss me.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:36 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,484,106 times
I don't routinely use my front door. Sometimes packages stay there for days.
-------------------------------------------------
and you complain packages being stolen?????????
Due to Cov19,all these carriers do not have to get you to sign for the package.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:07 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
What happens when an engineer gets a package stolen from his porch.
This was epic, although I think there is a shorter video available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TSR_v07m0

Depending on how much stuff you actually have delivered to you and how often packages are stolen, I'd probably design a 'chute' type thing where the delivery guy could just slide it inside the garage or something. Or get a PO box.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:15 AM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I don't routinely use my front door. Sometimes packages stay there for days.
-------------------------------------------------
and you complain packages being stolen?????????
Due to Cov19,all these carriers do not have to get you to sign for the package.
No - I've never complained that packages are being stolen. None of mine have been stolen. I have requested that the delivery person ring the doorbell when the package is left. Those instructions are included on the delivery label but ignored.

Old 07-06-2021, 07:17 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Get a Wyze cam - only $25. I have been using the original one for a few years. It is not outdoor rated (they now have an outdoor cam), but I have it under the roof on the front porch and it works great.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:06 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Don't bother it's a waste of your money. USPS/FedEX/UPS don't bother with that, unless the package
is $$$$$$$$$.

Your money would be better spent on a PO BOX. Depending on locations they cost around $10 a month.
If you have a PO Box, you can't use many of the online services that only ship via Fedex or UPS, even if USPS is taking care of the final delivery.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:16 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If you have a PO Box, you can't use many of the online services that only ship via Fedex or UPS, even if USPS is taking care of the final delivery.
You can, I do this all the time buying on Ebay. You change your address to

Name
Street address of Post Office
Your PO Box
City, State, Zip of Post Office.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:19 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In many locations, it doesn't matter if you have video of the thieves. The police don't want to know about it and won't do anything or make any arrests.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some retribution from the thieves if you set out something nasty for them to steal. They aren't nice people to begin with.

However, they are also lazy, or they would have a job instead of stealing. Fill it with something of no monetary value, that might conceivably have been shipped to you.

Old shoes, with a note - "Hi sweetheart, here are grandmas shoes that she left to you, I will be sending her dresses, nightgowns, and underwear, in the next few boxes. Love, Mom"

Or a sign that says "Smile, you are on camera."

Old 07-06-2021, 09:22 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
At some point there is going to have to be some regulation of how this is done. It is creepy and dangerous to have people stalking delivery trucks and brazenly going up to doors to steal. Although the way things are going who knows. Apparently stealing things from outside of houses has been no big deal for some time in some areas, even nicer ones.

we still have some honor system roadside stands where you buy the product and leave the money in a jar.

Then I hear in some places, even decent suburbs you can't even have nice flowers because someone will come in broad daylight and dig them up. Because they can get away with it.

If these are the things we are willing to tolerate I guess we are ok with stealing packages, but we should ask what is next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House