Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 08:09 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,497,612 times

Advertisements

Are you sure it's swaying and not vibration? I lived in a cheaply built house, years ago. My bedroom was in the back, on the second floor. But, if someone slammed the front door, I could feel it in my bedroom; stuff rattled on the walls and shelves. I wouldn't worry about vibration, but would worry about swaying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 10:07 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Ok so this is kinda weird. Im in a townhouse in Michigan. So it has a basement. I have noticed there is a weakspot where it shakes over the basement. I have never been too concerned. I have noticed shaking like this in many buildings in Michigan. I am originally from California where many buildings seem more reinforced due to the earthquakes. Well recently Ive noticed I can feel like a micro swaying upstairs in my bedroom. During the recent thunderstorms with the heavy winds, Ive noticed the swaying is more pronounced. My roommate seems nonplussed over it. I am wondering what to do. It feels like the upper floors of a skyscraper.

Should I worry? Is this all in my head? What course of action should I take? I dont want to alarm the landlord over nothing. Should I talk with neighbors about it? I dont want to overreact but the surfside condo collapse in Florida has me a bit spooked. I know there was a sinkhole back a few years ago in a Detroit suburb in a house.
Are there cracks in the walls? Are doors getting stuck?

Old 08-13-2021, 10:48 AM

406 posts, read 435,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Are there cracks in the walls? Are doors getting stuck?
Theres only one crack that Ive noticed, upstairs near the bathroom. It's been painted over and hasnt gotten any worse. Doors do get stuck but only the back door. I have trouble locking and unlocking it in winter. Always works itself out when the weather warms in spring. I made an earlier thread about it. This summer Ive had trouble shutting it. There is also a large crack outside on the sidewalk near this door. But otherwise no cracks. Ive seen much worse in other buildings.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Are you sure it's swaying and not vibration? I lived in a cheaply built house, years ago. My bedroom was in the back, on the second floor. But, if someone slammed the front door, I could feel it in my bedroom; stuff rattled on the walls and shelves. I wouldn't worry about vibration, but would worry about swaying.
There is both. If someone is dancing or stomping in the weak area of the living room the whole floor will vibrate. That doesnt bother me too much. But I usually ask them to stop. My friend is not overweight or anything. When a friend fell on that area, the floor actually swayed which concerned me much.

Once during road construction, the vibration took down a bookcase in the living room but that was vibration.

Upstairs during the gusty winds of the most recent thunderstorms, the upstairs swayed in the wind. Not a lot. Like nothing is falling off shelves or anything (bookcase notwithstanding.) but it's enough that I notice.

I make this place sound old and rickety but its no earlier than 1970's or 80's construction at the earliest.

Old 08-13-2021, 11:37 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Guess nobody picked up on the “townhouse” part!?

Townhouse would mean several units together that share a common wall between them. If one is “swaying”, would it not be a practical conclusion that they all would be “swaying”??? A quick conversation with neighbors would either prove or disprove this assumption.

I say assumption because if the whole building was “swaying” I’m sure there would have been discussions/remediation in the past. And following the past conversation about the furnace…

I’m racking this up to- “it’s a figmentation of your imagination”

Old 08-13-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Guess nobody picked up on the “townhouse” part!?

Townhouse would mean several units together that share a common wall between them. If one is “swaying”, would it not be a practical conclusion that they all would be “swaying”??? A quick conversation with neighbors would either prove or disprove this assumption.

I say assumption because if the whole building was “swaying” I’m sure there would have been discussions/remediation in the past. And following the past conversation about the furnace…

I’m racking this up to- “it’s a figmentation of your imagination”
Except a bookcase falling as a result of vibration is not in my head. There are five units connected together. In the surside collapse as I recall a few of the buildings were connected and remained standing while the one collapsed. Yes I will have a chat with the neighbors about this subject.

Last edited by SoCal Midwest Noobie; 08-13-2021 at 12:21 PM..

Old 08-13-2021, 12:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
In the surside collapse as I recall a few of the buildings were connected and remained standing while the one collapsed.

They are in no way related/connected (there is no need to go into detail). You need to get that notion out of your head now.

Old 08-13-2021, 03:28 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,422,672 times
Where in Troy, Michigan is this townhouse located, roughly speaking? Is it near the I-75 freeway?

There's a Rams Horn restaurant in Allen Park, Michigan, right on Southfield Road just north of Allen Road. Whenever a heavily ladened semi went buy, the entire restaurant shook. Rattled all the glassware and shook the tables. Freaked me out the first few times, but the local regulars tended to ignore it.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:36 PM

449 posts, read 283,844 times
Quote:
I know there was a sinkhole back a few years ago in a Detroit suburb in a house.

Just east of you in Fraser, on 15 Mile, between Utica Rd and Hayes.

Old 08-13-2021, 04:44 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Except a bookcase falling as a result of vibration is not in my head. There are five units connected together. In the surside collapse as I recall a few of the buildings were connected and remained standing while the one collapsed. Yes I will have a chat with the neighbors about this subject.
Bookcase fell?

Earthquake? We had one in Maryland a couple weeks ago that caused minor damage like that. Few even felt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House