Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2021, 09:08 AM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
OK, what are the scenarios? He buys the part and I say I changed my mind. He can easily return the part. It's very common. The scenario that he completes the job and does not get paid is a case for taking me to court. Why would I go through all this trouble and not pay? Besides, who is more at risk? He knows where I live but I know nothing about them. Anyway, he is already ahead. He kept the $80 visit charge and I have nothing to show for. I am tempted to get the ice maker and install it myself although my wife says save you money and just dump a bag of ice in there. It should last months. How many bags of ice $500 buys you?
If you get the repair done does the service call charge become part of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2021, 10:16 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
If you get the repair done does the service call charge become part of it?
Often. I can't say they all do but often they will.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You have never checked out the reputation of a company using the BBB? LOL! The ratings are more reliable than other sources that get more fake reviews.
I have tried several times LOL they never have anything for the companies I am looking for. I do not need a rating for Walmart. I never other with them anymore.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:37 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They should have explained - and OP should have asked - about those terms before the $80 service call.

Between the service call, the parts, and the labor the cost is about $600. I don't know how old or expensive this fridge is but I might not want to put so much into repairs.
What does the service call have to do with it? OP got someone to their house and had the diagnostic on the problem done and was given a quote for what the part would cost, and the labor would cost, in exchange for $80.00. A bargain if you ask me, I've never had much luck getting a repair person across my doorstep for less than $100.

What's more transparent than that? OP can now hire them, or buy the part and DIY, or buy the part and pay Fred the handyman to wrench on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
I don't recall where I heard it. It was many (15 or more?) years ago. It was more of a something to think about than a statement of fact...thus the "FWIW." Also, I wasn't implying that bagged ice may contain e coli, but simply that it may contain some dirt, dust, debris that you wouldn't necessarily want to consume, but it wouldn't harm you either. I think you put too much trust in our government. Our government says that a certain number of rat turds is acceptable in our food.

I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who's heard that based on the rep that I got from my comment.
I've heard it in reference to traveling abroad, but not in terms of bagged ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
OP would know how much ice he uses but I don’t think I have used ice more than once or twice in a year. Only when I forget to put the soda in the fridge. I mostly end up throwing away the ice when it gets old.
Fair enough. I use ice nearly daily.

Old 11-05-2021, 10:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
What does the service call have to do with it? OP got someone to their house and had the diagnostic on the problem done and was given a quote for what the part would cost, and the labor would cost, in exchange for $80.00. A bargain if you ask me, I've never had much luck getting a repair person across my doorstep for less than $100.

Assuming it's an honest diagnostic and not a lazy/greedy tech who finds it easier and more lucrative to just replace the whole icemaker rather than determine what is wrong with it. OP said it was a "cursory" inspection. OP already knew the icemaker wasn't working. What did OP learn that OP didn't already know? Beware anyone that tells you an entire asssembly must be replaced if they can't tell you specifically what is wrong with the assembly.

But more specifically, if OP had known the terms upfront that they would be expected to pay for the part first then they could have called another service that did not require that.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
I’m in California, if it makes a difference. Out here the repair people — and I have used several services, always charge a service fee to come out and look at the issue. This service fee is then put towards the repair if you choose to do it.

I don’t blame them for this because if you don’t know what’s wrong with your refrigerator and some guy comes out and tells you it’s this, you can go on YouTube and figure out how to fix it yourself and this guy just handed the diagnosis to you for free. So in my mind it makes sense that they charge you a service fee just to walk through the door. And yes, I had a guy come out and tell me that my refrigerator was absolute toast and I paid him 60 bucks for it, so I get it.

They usually come equipped with most of the stuff that generally goes wrong on appliances in their truck/van. And there are multiple appliance repair places for them to go to two get the things they need. I cannot imagine purchasing the gizmo that I needed and handing it to the guy to have him replace it. Because when he gives you a warranty he not only is warranting his labor, he is also warranting that part. So if you buy a bad part and it doesn’t work that’s not on him, and if he has to come out and take it out and put in another one, he’s going to charge you, you’re not gonna get that for free. Whereas if he puts in the part and it blows out in 5 days, the next time he comes back out to replace it, it will be. At least it has been that way here.

And you’re also going to get the years of experience that that mechanic has. I have a very old microwave hood range. I never use the microwave except for the timer because the oven timer— I can’t hear it. And I’m actually moving away from the microwave timer because I can just use my phone. I did something stupid and while the guy was out here fixing the washer, I told him about what I did to the microwave and he told me — oh that’s a motherboard issue. Sometimes I can fix those.

And he did. It’s been working for years. I now know that when I change the lightbulbs on the stupid thing I have to unplug it which is an ordeal, but that’s OK. That 50 bucks saved me a few hundred or more on a new range hood. By the way my husband used to microwave a lot. I think it’s the most useless appliance in the world.

But that is the only fee I’ve ever paid upfront. I have never paid for parts upfront. That just sounds very wrong to me. It sounds like this guy is either very new to the business, or his business is failing. And if his business is failing, you might want to look into why that business is failing. Read his reviews. Do some research, ask around.

I’ve hired the methy plumber. He came HIGHLY recommended…

Old 11-05-2021, 01:22 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m in California, if it makes a difference. Out here the repair people — and I have used several services, always charge a service fee to come out and look at the issue. This service fee is then put towards the repair if you choose to do it.

I don’t blame them for this because if you don’t know what’s wrong with your refrigerator and some guy comes out and tells you it’s this, you can go on YouTube and figure out how to fix it yourself and this guy just handed the diagnosis to you for free. So in my mind it makes sense that they charge you a service fee just to walk through the door. And yes, I had a guy come out and tell me that my refrigerator was absolute toast and I paid him 60 bucks for it, so I get it.

They usually come equipped with most of the stuff that generally goes wrong on appliances in their truck/van. And there are multiple appliance repair places for them to go to two get the things they need. I cannot imagine purchasing the gizmo that I needed and handing it to the guy to have him replace it. Because when he gives you a warranty he not only is warranting his labor, he is also warranting that part. So if you buy a bad part and it doesn’t work that’s not on him, and if he has to come out and take it out and put in another one, he’s going to charge you, you’re not gonna get that for free. Whereas if he puts in the part and it blows out in 5 days, the next time he comes back out to replace it, it will be. At least it has been that way here.
In North Carolina (way less consumer friendly than CA on most things I'd guess) often the tradesman is liable for the parts he installs for 10 years. I'm not joking. Plumber installs a toilet, toilet breaks and floods your house seven years later they can make a claim and get it covered. Happened to a close friend of mine; it's one reason that he won't install anything he doesn't buy himself. He had it happen; customer called, asked him to install a new toilet she had, he agreed, five years later, she calls and says "we need to have a meeting, please bring your insurance information." SHe filed a claim and the insurer paid.

Pipes deteriorate 8 years later because the fittings are made poorly? Plumber is liable, not the pipe company.

With mechanics its different. I'm not sure where an appliance repairman would fall.

Old 11-05-2021, 08:03 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Ice
Cube
Trays

Old 11-05-2021, 09:25 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
OP would know how much ice he uses but I don’t think I have used ice more than once or twice in a year. Only when I forget to put the soda in the fridge. I mostly end up throwing away the ice when it gets old.
My ice stays in the trays so long that the cubes evaporate.

Old 11-05-2021, 09:47 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have an ice maker in my main refrigerator but I have never even connected it (just never got around to it, but I've also heard too many horror stories). Takes me literally 30 seconds to fill up a couple of ice cube trays every few days. I guess I am a dinosaur!

OP, this ^^^ is what I was going to suggest. If he wants your money up front just so he can buy the parts, tell him you will buy it and have it ready for him. I expect that he won't tell you exactly what you need to buy, though, as he is likely marking up the price (nothing wrong with that, since it takes time for him to get it).
When my horrible ice maker finally died, I bought a pack of three trays. I don't use a lot of ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House