Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 07:02 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Don't be in too much of a hurry to remove it. It will sink quite a bit over time. Maybe not to flat-ness, but give it some time before you decide to bag it up.
I agree. When the stump of my 3 ft. diameter silver maple was ground down, the guy doing it actually went too far with the grinding, so I had a lot of wood chips. As they sank over time, they left a depression around the roots that I wanted left exposed, so I had to fill it in with topsoil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2022, 07:24 AM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Might not be a great idea to mix it in with your garden soil...

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...t-as-mulch.htm
Sawdust is woody material that needs nitrogen to decompose. This means that as it biodegrades, the process may draw nitrogen out of the soil and away from your plants’ roots, making them weaker. This is much more of a problem if you incorporate the sawdust directly into the soil than if you use it as a mulch, but even with mulch, it’s still worthwhile to take precautions.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Sawdust For Garden Use – Tips For Using Sawdust As A Garden Mulch https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...t-as-mulch.htm

https://www.gardensalive.com/product...o-with-sawdust
If you mix sawdust into your soil, nothing will grow there for a year or more. Pure wood materials like sawdust and wood shavings are super-high in carbon, and their carbon will absorb all of the plant-feeding nitrogen in your soil in its quest to decompose. After it DOES decompose, the soil WILL be richer, but for that first year or two it'll be a plant graveyard

You might try listing it on craigslist or such, offering it free to anybody who will come get it.

Old 01-22-2022, 08:01 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
If you're adding the stump wood grindings to anything you're growing into the soil then you need to add a nitrogen fertilizer in with it or else the shavings will rob the nitrogen out of the soil and the vegetations basic growing nutrient.
Yes this is true, sawdust and stump grindings are not good for mulch without some amelioration as stated in #12. Leaving it in the hole is a bad idea, it will gradually decay and leave a depression - and grass will never grow right on that spot. Best bet is to get it out of the hole and replace it with soil.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:02 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
OP~ What species of tree did you have ground up?

Some trees have things that you don't really want in your soil. (Pine, oleander, for example.)

If you want to get rid of the shavings quickly, then bring them to a place where you can torch them. (You said it was 30F!)

Old 01-22-2022, 09:38 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
What a helpful post!
Thank you!!

Old 01-22-2022, 09:44 AM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
OP~ What species of tree did you have ground up?

Some trees have things that you don't really want in your soil. (Pine, oleander, for example.)

If you want to get rid of the shavings quickly, then bring them to a place where you can torch them. (You said it was 30F!)
The reason that the tree was cut down was that it was too close to the house. So I can't torch them in place. It would be just as easy to bag them as lawn waste as it would be to move it all to a place where I could torch it. I estimate the debris to be about 6' wide (or more) and 3' deep.

Here is the tree before removal:

Old 01-23-2022, 08:25 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,842,111 times
I'd dispose of it if you have a "trash" service that comes around for green waste.

Old 01-23-2022, 08:53 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,658,433 times
Wondering if a massive ficus tree next to a sewer pipe ( caused an overflow) should also be removed...or can copper sulfate be applied to manage the invasive roots to prevent future issues?

Old 01-25-2022, 10:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Cellulose needs a great deal of nitrogen to decompose. It makes poor fertilizer. A small amount can help loosen up soil and provide some nutrients, but a lot will rob the soil of nutrients A mound of cellulouse can also attract termites. You can spread it our on your lawn if there is not so much to make a thick coating. You can burn it slowly. Bag it and send it to the dump.

Quite a bit depends on the type of tree. walnut is oily and will kill plants. The grindings may make good mulch where you do not want anything to grow. Cottonwood breaks down fairly quickly. Paulownia kawakamiii supposedly makes very good fertilizer. Osage Ornange (Monkey Brain trees) are bad for plants. Sappy pine is also bad for plant growth. Maple and oak in between

Old 01-25-2022, 04:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You don’t want to remove the mulch- you just create a hole to fall off into/trip hazard!
So, if you do remove it- be prepared to fill it with dirt.

You can also accelerate the decaying process by adding a couple of bags of cow or chicken manure and about half a bag of 30-0-0 fertilizer. Water-in real well- this will almost double the decay rate.
Yes, my experience too. It is great mulch, but it's going to decompose as will the whole stump and roots - and as that happens, that area will sink and make a low spot. You will probably need to add some soil regardless after awhile, but you'll need to add more if you take away all the shavings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House