Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 05:13 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times

Advertisements

Those Dutch Babies are incredibly good and a very impressive company brunch idea.

He talks about the traditional style but I've also learned you can put a can of pie filling in your buttered pan and heat it. Then gently pour the batter over the top and that also makes a nice pannekoeken.

Try apple pie filling with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on the top at the end. Yum-yum.

Blueberry or raspberry are also good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 07:35 PM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Years ago, I got sucked into buying pans that were touted as non-stick. What I found was that, after a time, the coating began to peel off and we were warned it could cause illness so I tossed them. Went back to my cast iron skillets and never looked back.

As I stated early on, I've had mine for decades and they've held up remarkably well. I never wash them with soap. In fact, soap has never touched them A light soaking in very hot water will release anything stuck, which is rare and then using a non-scratch pad to finish cleaning and drying off with a paper towel. A little light oiling keeps them in tip top shape. I've saved hundreds of dollars by not buying new pans over the years and can highly recommend them to everyone who likes to cook (and bake).

I tried cast iron many years ago, give me non-stick. I don't know what pans you're buying, the ones I've bought hold up for many, many years. I'm in my late 50's, I've only bought nonstick pans about 3 times since age 20. The last one I bought is far superior to old nonstick pans. They even heat better. I will invest in the small and medium when the ones my MIL had are shot. Mine were still in decent shape for my daughter to have to start off with.

You can't use metal utensils when using them.

Old 03-04-2022, 09:55 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I tried cast iron many years ago, give me non-stick. I don't know what pans you're buying, the ones I've bought hold up for many, many years. I'm in my late 50's, I've only bought nonstick pans about 3 times since age 20. The last one I bought is far superior to old nonstick pans. They even heat better. I will invest in the small and medium when the ones my MIL had are shot. Mine were still in decent shape for my daughter to have to start off with.

You can't use metal utensils when using them.
You're lucky then. I think the non-stick pans I had were t-fal . It's been so long, I don't quite remember. And yes, I remember having to us plastic utensils on them as the coating would scratch. The pans they make today may be better made than the ones I had before. This was back in the mid 90's.

After that, I went back to my cast iron and haven't used anything since. I imagine the ones today are better but mine are still fine and cook beautifully. Besides, I'm too old to buy new (anything). I'm sure many of the items I have will outlive me.

Old 03-04-2022, 10:38 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
You're lucky then. I think the non-stick pans I had were t-fal . It's been so long, I don't quite remember. And yes, I remember having to us plastic utensils on them as the coating would scratch. The pans they make today may be better made than the ones I had before. This was back in the mid 90's.

After that, I went back to my cast iron and haven't used anything since. I imagine the ones today are better but mine are still fine and cook beautifully. Besides, I'm too old to buy new (anything). I'm sure many of the items I have will outlive me.
I use only cast iron, my GF, however, uses only non-stick. She is constantly buying new ones it seems. I hate them.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:09 AM
chs

31 posts, read 122,783 times
You need an induction stove (or even induction hot plate, just to try it) to get the best out of your cast iron.
It’s a match made in heaven - induction gets your cast iron hot very quickly - it’s the best of the old and new working together.
The small pan perfect for one egg to make a breakfast sandwich, cornbread just made for one.
If you are not just one or two , you won’t use the 6” much.
It is true that I worry about lifting my cast iron when I hit 65 or 70, but until then, they are what I use for everything except boiling pasta, soup etc. Nothing better for fried rice, hash browns, leftover stuffing, “roasted” veg, anything you want to actually brown. You can’t really brown and get good crispy crackly anything in non-stick pans. I didn’t really use the cast iron as much till I got the induction stove. Less upkeep than carbon steel or all clad. Much better cooking than Calaphon or tfal.

Last edited by chs; 03-05-2022 at 03:23 AM..

Old 03-05-2022, 06:55 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, then you use a bigger one.

Although I would use a small nonstick pan for just a couple of eggs, I love my cast-iron skillet. I use it for a lot of things, in the oven or on the burner. You can cook just about anything in cast iron. I've made batches of stew and soup on the stovetop in my large skillet. It just seems like everything tastes better.

Sadly, the house in my alternate universe not only has (the horror!) ELECTRIC burners rather than gas which I will likely never get completely used (it seems weird not to have FIREi to cook with), it has one of those glass cooktops, and cast iron is not recommended.
I use my cast iron on it anyway. Would love to have gas, but stuck with electric. That thing's getting replaced with induction at least.

I do have one non stick for eggs and a stainless for acidic foods that react with the cast iron. But heck I also have several Dutch Ovens for cooking over coals. They take time, but I love using them for special occasions.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:07 AM

1,400 posts, read 767,221 times
My first thought is that it would make a good weapon if anyone ever broke into your house...

Old 03-05-2022, 07:10 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times
The older cast iron skillets were thinner and lighter weight, also smooth as a baby's bottom. Modern ones are much heavier and for some reason unfathomed by cooks everywhere, they leave the interior surface rough like in a raw casting. I bought one couple years ago. Took me half hour with a flap type sanding disk in angle grinder to smooth it out. I honestly would paid $10 more for them to do this at the factory. Not that I would have trusted the factory "pre-seasoned" sure they use Chinese toxic waste to do it. Those bean counter types compromise on everything.

Its ok. But do you know what skillet I reach for every day? Nope sorry, not the cast iron, and no not some infomercial no stick POS. I reach for old heavy duty anodized cast aluminum skillet. Its bare aluminum (with patina from use), not non-stick. And its thick (think high end 1950s design). Heats up very fast and evenly, lot faster and more even heat than the cast iron. Am I worried about it giving me alzheimers or something. Not at my age. If I get alzheimers, it wont be because of this aluminum skillet.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
I didn’t read the other posts but cornbread cooks exceptionally well in a skillet
Biscuits too—
Just ensure you keep them oiled properly

Old 03-05-2022, 08:06 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs View Post
You need an induction stove (or even induction hot plate, just to try it) to get the best out of your cast iron.
It’s a match made in heaven - induction gets your cast iron hot very quickly - it’s the best of the old and new working together.
The small pan perfect for one egg to make a breakfast sandwich, cornbread just made for one.
If you are not just one or two , you won’t use the 6” much.
It is true that I worry about lifting my cast iron when I hit 65 or 70, but until then, they are what I use for everything except boiling pasta, soup etc. Nothing better for fried rice, hash browns, leftover stuffing, “roasted” veg, anything you want to actually brown. You can’t really brown and get good crispy crackly anything in non-stick pans. I didn’t really use the cast iron as much till I got the induction stove. Less upkeep than carbon steel or all clad. Much better cooking than Calaphon or tfal.
FYI - I am 66. I use my cast iron all the time, including dutch ovens (which are stored on a shelf that is even with the top of my head). Zero problems or difficulties taking them down, out or putting them back. The largest dutch oven is only 15 pounds. Not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House