Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 02:55 PM

70 posts, read 32,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
What it's good for is smacking an intruder with (not knowing if anyone said so already).

Several have, but the way I see it...if someone is strong enough to lift a cast iron skillet over their head and clunk someone over the top of the other person's head with any amount of force...they probably wouldn't need the cast iron pan in the first place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 08:27 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I use my cast iron pans on my glass cooktop ALL THE TIME. I have had the range for oh, 3 or 4 years now, and I use my cast iron often, on both my and my BF's (we have the same range) glass cooktop. I don't even understand why anyone would think that they could not. Maybe if your pans are not FLAT - I could see where that could be a problem. Our pans are perfectly flat, and they cook great!
Really? That is good to know. I was told by the, ahem, homeowner (BF) that cast iron could not be used. Hmmm.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:45 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
I use mine on glass cook top, but I'm careful not to drag them across the surface.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2022, 09:24 AM

6,365 posts, read 4,196,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I use mine on glass cook top, but I'm careful not to drag them across the surface.
Exactly, the goal is not to move it around on a glass top cooking surface!

The one below is my favorite, everything slides out of it and I use this one exclusively for eggs.

Last edited by Rickcin; 06-24-2022 at 07:30 AM..

Old 03-07-2022, 10:26 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Really? That is good to know. I was told by the, ahem, homeowner (BF) that cast iron could not be used. Hmmm.
They were wrong. Obviously, a glass cooktop is different than a stainless steel cooktop in that you don’t want to drop anything heavy on it. But that would be the case with any thing else. Corning ware dishes, anything that has any weight to it. Maybe they are used to being able to beat up a stainless range lol.

And with any smoothtop range, remember that the bottom of the pan or pot does need to be FLAT.

Old 03-07-2022, 10:28 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Exactly, the goal is not to move it around on a glass top cooking surface!

The one below is my favorite, everything slides out of it and I use this one exclusively for eggs.
I do slide mine. But my pans have flat/good smooth bottoms. If you are using a “rough” pan, or one of those campfire Dutch ovens with legs, yeah it would be best to not slide it.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:43 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They were wrong. Obviously, a glass cooktop is different than a stainless steel cooktop in that you don’t want to drop anything heavy on it. But that would be the case with any thing else. Corning ware dishes, anything that has any weight to it. Maybe they are used to being able to beat up a stainless range lol.

And with any smoothtop range, remember that the bottom of the pan or pot does need to be FLAT.
Yes, I don't know who told him, because he bemoaned the fact that he couldn't use his cast iron anymore. But he has some very nice cookware. Very heavy, thick-bottomed pots and pans that conduct heat well. I forget the brand, and I'm not in that house right now so I can't check.

Old 03-07-2022, 12:05 PM

1,873 posts, read 846,051 times
when i got kick out of the house, mom gave me a old cast skillet, crock pot, corning ware cook ware and plates, the blue bonnet pattern and except for one huge casseroll dish, i gave away, I still have all of them, that been 42 years ago

Old 03-07-2022, 03:39 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,734,881 times
You can use it as a pizza pan, or bake cornbread in it.

Old 03-08-2022, 11:06 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, then you use a bigger one.

Although I would use a small nonstick pan for just a couple of eggs, I love my cast-iron skillet. I use it for a lot of things, in the oven or on the burner. You can cook just about anything in cast iron. I've made batches of stew and soup on the stovetop in my large skillet. It just seems like everything tastes better.

Sadly, the house in my alternate universe not only has (the horror!) ELECTRIC burners rather than gas which I will likely never get completely used (it seems weird not to have FIRE to cook with), it has one of those glass cooktops, and cast iron is not recommended.
I have used cast iron on glass top cook tops. I use them on my induction cook top. Use carefully, of course. Or buy a portable induction burner, and use your iron on that. If I had a gas range, I’d certainly have a portable induction burner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House