Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 11:28 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,469,899 times

Advertisements

When your husband passes out because he's had too much to drink you can get in a few licks with that pan and he'll wake up with new aches and pains not knowing where he got them from.

True story told me by a sweet little old lady who said she always felt a bit guilty about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 11:33 AM

2,111 posts, read 1,940,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sadly, the house in my alternate universe not only has (the horror!) ELECTRIC burners rather than gas which I will likely never get completely used (it seems weird not to have FIRE to cook with), it has one of those glass cooktops, and cast iron is not recommended.
Our current house has glass cooktops too which I rarely use. I do almost all my cooking with two portable induction cooktop (setting them on top of the glass cooktops to utilize the exhaust fan and light).

Those portable induction cooktops are quite inexpensive. I bought one 10 years ago for something like $25 and another 4 years ago (for about $40). They both came with a 3.5Q stainless steel pot. The current price is $54.

https://www.newegg.com/Black-Golden-...t/p/96-268-111

A dual cooker is $138

https://www.newegg.com/Black-Rosewil...r/p/96-268-175

I cook with my cast iron skillets (and all clad stainless steel pots) on the induction cooktops daily. The cast iron skillet heats up very quickly with the induction cooktop. I had also roasted coffee beans on the cast iron skillet on the portable induction cooktop outside (because of the heavy smoke).

The nice thing about the cast iron cookware is that I can sear meats on the cooktop, add other ingredients then put the whole thing in the oven for bake recipes. I also use the cast iron skillet to provide steam for baking French breads.

The cast iron skillet which I use the most came as the lid for my Dutch oven.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/produc...UaAlhPEALw_wcB

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-07-2022 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: My own typo

Old 03-03-2022, 01:37 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,940,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was about the cast iron frying pan, with that rough surface and I was wondering how that replaced the griddle since it didn't seem spatula friendly......but then I read closer. That frying pan is history but always thinking of getting another.
My husband brought his old cast iron pans/skillets to our marriage (almost 45 years ago). He had them for at least 10 years (his mother gave him the set when he went to college). The large frying pan had a rough surface until I figured out that it was due to burnt residue. I scraped/chipped off the old residue then reconditioned the pan. It did not take long for the cleaned and seasoned pan to become perfectly smooth and have a great non-stick surface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr-7Qz1_iHQ

Old 03-03-2022, 08:24 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,076,690 times
I have an old 10" Griswold skillet, a slightly smaller 8" Wagner skillet, and modern Lodge Dutch oven and wok.

The skillets are great for eggs, pancakes, baking corn bread and biscuits, and searing meats. They are good for roasting potatoes or vegetables in the oven. I also use them to flambe reduction sauces. They make a great refried bean, but I don't do that very often. Searing spices for Indian food to release the taste works well.

I use the Dutch oven for soups and stews, as well as baking no knead crusty bread. Couple of times a year I will use it for deep frying.

The wok is great for stir fried anything. Might be rice based, potato based, or just a mess of vegetables. It is also a pretty good surface for cooking flatbreads like naan.

The one thing I don't do that has been mentioned upthread is tomato sauces. I find the tomato sauce to be too acidic, it is hard on the seasoning.

Old 03-03-2022, 10:49 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,447,542 times
In the oven: frittata, pineapple upside-down cake, cornbread

On the burner: sauteed mushrooms, carmelized onions, fried potatoes, fried & scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast, potato pancakes, homemade pasta sauce, stir fry before I had a wok, tortillas, grilled cheese sandwiches, best fried chicken ever, burgers, pork chops, fried catfish, fried rice, breaded fried zucchini, pan-seared steak. I am sure there's more, can't think of it right now. And it was always the cookware of choice on family camping trips.

I have cooked on a glass electric cooktop & electric oven, which I hate, for 11 years now. I had cooked on natural gas before then for years & still miss it, but never stopped using my cast iron or my copper-bottom Revereware when I had to start cooking on electric- no problem with my cookware. But I still hate electric.

Old 03-04-2022, 08:49 AM

37,701 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, then you use a bigger one.

Although I would use a small nonstick pan for just a couple of eggs, I love my cast-iron skillet. I use it for a lot of things, in the oven or on the burner. You can cook just about anything in cast iron. I've made batches of stew and soup on the stovetop in my large skillet. It just seems like everything tastes better.

Sadly, the house in my alternate universe not only has (the horror!) ELECTRIC burners rather than gas which I will likely never get completely used (it seems weird not to have FIREi to cook with), it has one of those glass cooktops, and cast iron is not recommended.
I use my cast iron pans on my glass cooktop ALL THE TIME. I have had the range for oh, 3 or 4 years now, and I use my cast iron often, on both my and my BF's (we have the same range) glass cooktop. I don't even understand why anyone would think that they could not. Maybe if your pans are not FLAT - I could see where that could be a problem. Our pans are perfectly flat, and they cook great!

Old 03-04-2022, 08:51 AM

37,701 posts, read 46,121,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
About the only thing I cook on a griddle are my cornmeal pancakes and for those, since they land thick from the bowl and on the flip I press them flatter with the spatula, more space is nice.

So if not recipes......then suggestions.

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was about the cast iron frying pan, with that rough surface and I was wondering how that replaced the griddle since it didn't seem spatula friendly......but then I read closer. That frying pan is history but always thinking of getting another.

So again, suggestions please.
You need to re-season the pan. A good, properly seasoned cast iron pan will have a nice smooth surface. Mine have almost a mirror smooth finish. The clean up with a paper towel LOL.

Old 03-04-2022, 11:05 AM

70 posts, read 32,894 times
A cooking with cast iron tip I learned from America's Test Kitchen years ago, was repeated in Season 17's Cast Iron Steak recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqIwp0ihfgQ

Old 03-04-2022, 11:15 AM

11,089 posts, read 6,683,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Great for Dutch Baby pancakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyxEFj7bgHI
Oh man! I have GOT to try that recipe! Right now!

Our favorite use of our inherited cast-iron pans is replacing the toaster. We just grill any bread or buns on the griddle. Makes perfect, crispy toast.

I make my own tortillas and grill them on the same cast-iron griddle.

Nothing is better for re-heating leftover pizza. We think it's better the second time around, after 5 min. on the cast-iron griddle.

I also bake bread in the Dutch oven. We took a smaller Dutch oven horse-camping and it certainly holds up to the campfire like nothing else will. I made everything in it, over the campfire.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:44 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,403,130 times
Advantage: put the pan into the oven to bake or broil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House