Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:41 AM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westminster88 View Post
Yeah a first-world problem I know...

I would love to rid our house of 95% of items that serve only 1 purpose and/or are needed less than once per year.

(Sometimes I will donate or trash these when my SO isn't around, LOL)

Cocktail ice bucket from some promotional giveaway.

Fondue set from wedding.

Odd-shaped, hard to clean vases.

Anyone feel the same?
I'm not sure I have anything like this anymore. I tend to pack up or give away those things that I don't use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2022, 08:29 AM

453 posts, read 301,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i don't even know what an "immersion blender" is, or how it is any different from just a "blender"

i'm old enough to remember when the "electric knife" was all the craze. i remember thinking even as a little kid what a silly thing that is.
oh, and the "Veg-O-Matic" was a big thing then too. It now resides in the National Museum of American History.

Not hard to google it. An immersion blender is a hand-held stick with a motor and propeller that you can put in your large pot and blend the food instead of balancing and spilling a boiling hot pot of liquid on yourself while dumping into a stand-alone blender.

I guess you don't cook.

The electric knife is actually an excellent tool, especially if you eat meat. Much easier to slice a roast (or ANY meat) neatly very thinly - and baked goods. Including frozen. Boning, butchering, carving....without smashing soft insides of bread or a large sandwich. There are numerous articles on the web praising it. Also foam, batting, cushions/mattresses even WOOD.

I guess you don't cook OR have any type of arthritis or hand weakness/limitations.

Wrong about the Ronco Veg-O-Matic too. It is famous in the museum for inventing direct marketing. You've probably heard of that. Maybe you've heard of a rotisserie for chicken. Yep, Ronco. Ron Popeil was an inventor a marketing genius.

The device under it's original Ronco name and MANY knock offs exist today that are very popular. And you won't slice a finger off like with a mandolin. (despite Ronco's Chapter 7 a couple years ago). Some cost over $100.00 for high end.

Then again....if you don't cook...probably better to not discuss cooking stuff.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 06-02-2022 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-02-2022, 08:52 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Many, MANY people cook and get along just fine without a lot of gadgets. I had an immersion blender, but my family is not overly fond of pureed soups, and I can make perfect mayonnaise in thirty seconds in my regular blender, so I got rid of the immersion blender which was just taking up space.

I've never had an electric knife (I only knew one family that had one), and never even heard of a Veg-O-Matic until right now. And yet I cook every day and cut up lots of vegetables and, yes, even slice roasts and other meats.

Pretty presumptuous to assume that someone doesn't cook just because they don't favor the same gadgets as you.

Old 06-02-2022, 12:43 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
"I hate 1-use items"

Does that include DixieCups? Just checking!

Old 06-02-2022, 02:26 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,185,387 times
Quote:
i don't even know what an "immersion blender" is, or how it is any different from just a "blender"

i'm old enough to remember when the "electric knife" was all the craze. i remember thinking even as a little kid what a silly thing that is.
oh, and the "Veg-O-Matic" was a big thing then too. It now resides in the National Museum of American History.

I love my immersion blender (also called a stick blender). I use it for soups and puddings. It lets me control the amount of puree that I have in the soup.

An immersion blender is much smaller than a counter-stand blender and I don't have to transfer the soup from the pot to the blender then back to the pot. I use it directly in the soup pot.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:14 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
I use mine about once a month. It's way handier for me than a blender. Use it for soups and salsa - I like the control it gives me. And so much easier to clean.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:10 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
If I don't use an item more than once a year, generally speaking I don't keep it or get it in the first place. If an item is one-use but I use it often, that's not a problem at all.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:11 PM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Not hard to google it. An immersion blender is a hand-held stick with a motor and propeller that you can put in your large pot and blend the food instead of balancing and spilling a boiling hot pot of liquid on yourself while dumping into a stand-alone blender.

I guess you don't cook.

The electric knife is actually an excellent tool, especially if you eat meat. Much easier to slice a roast (or ANY meat) neatly very thinly - and baked goods. Including frozen. Boning, butchering, carving....without smashing soft insides of bread or a large sandwich. There are numerous articles on the web praising it. Also foam, batting, cushions/mattresses even WOOD.

I guess you don't cook OR have any type of arthritis or hand weakness/limitations.

Wrong about the Ronco Veg-O-Matic too. It is famous in the museum for inventing direct marketing. You've probably heard of that. Maybe you've heard of a rotisserie for chicken. Yep, Ronco. Ron Popeil was an inventor a marketing genius.

The device under it's original Ronco name and MANY knock offs exist today that are very popular. And you won't slice a finger off like with a mandolin. (despite Ronco's Chapter 7 a couple years ago). Some cost over $100.00 for high end.

Then again....if you don't cook...probably better to not discuss cooking stuff.
Nonsense.

So nobody cooked before these gadgets were invented?

Old 06-02-2022, 06:53 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Well those are odd examples because they do perform a unique function other items in the house could NOT do. If you want to put flowers in a vase, you need a vase.

The single use items that my mother always complained about were hot-dog cookers and egg-cookers and George Foreman grills that only do one thing that could be done just as well with a regular multi-purpose pan.
This. The one-use appliances that a general use appliance I already have will do.

I'm trying to lessen my use of paper towels. I have tons of dishrags, which are more economical. Dishrags don't make any difference in the size of my laundry loads.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:56 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I love my immersion blender (also called a stick blender). I use it for soups and puddings. It lets me control the amount of puree that I have in the soup.

An immersion blender is much smaller than a counter-stand blender and I don't have to transfer the soup from the pot to the blender then back to the pot. I use it directly in the soup pot.
I don't have an immersion blender, but I can see where it performs a function that no other appliance will do, since you can stick it into a pot of soup or whatever on stove (like beans that you want to puree sort of). You CAN pull some beans, etc., out & put in blender, but that's way more time consuming and messy. So the immersion blender is pretty useful, I think, for someone who cooks regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House