Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your Choice of House/Shelter?
Rustic Cabin In The Mountains/Woods 25 30.12%
Mansion On the Hill 8 9.64%
Waterfront Home the Coast/Lake 40 48.19%
Highrise In A Big City 4 4.82%
Any House Near Work Is Okay 2 2.41%
In A Cave! 4 4.82%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2022, 03:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,395,649 times

Advertisements

OP, that little house/cabin IS rustic. Looks just right. Envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2022, 12:15 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,468,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Thanks... and there is a "carport" (just a designated space) to the right of the first photo. I'm in drought-ridden California, so we don't have to worry about enclosing our cars here. In fact it might even be hazardous, due to the extreme fire dangers. Not to say people don't EVER have garages, but most folks use them more for storage than parking....
We have a two-car garage here in the Bay Area, and up until very recently, we kept our vehicle in it. The garage door needs repair now (DH backed into it), so for the first time in decades the car sits on the driveway. It's awful, though, as the tall tree out front is a perch for birds who regularly make deposits on the car. The car gets really hot sitting out on the driveway, too. I'm looking forward to getting the car back where it belongs, in the garage.

I don't think it is hazardous to keep a car in a garage, but maybe it is in your wooded area.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:27 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,092 times
Low-floor condominium with a large terrace in Montreal.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:35 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,083,206 times
A grand old house, with big rooms and tall ceilings ....assuming it had all modern amenities.

Old 07-16-2022, 05:49 AM

7,148 posts, read 12,688,445 times
My dream house?? A one-story easy up-keep cottage/cabin with a cook-friendly kitchen, friendly neighbors, and on a lake/river (well-above so not prone to flooding) in an area with lots of trees and a good library!

Old 07-17-2022, 01:06 PM

30,382 posts, read 51,991,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Nice! Have you had an arborist come out and check on the health of the trees on your property?
No... should I? Guess I just assumed such things were done before I bought it.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Nor am I. I would not have a house that did not have an enclosed, lockable garage where I could park my car.
Can I ask why? Is there a lot of auto theft where you live? I've never really had a garage, even in the worst neighborhoods where I've lived.

Old 07-17-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP, that little house/cabin IS rustic. Looks just right. Envy.
Do you mean me (I'm not OP - but the only one who posted a photo here); if so, thanks! I really love it.

Guess I just meant "not rustic" in the sense of it being fully modernized/renovated. Here are some more pics, if anyone is interested. They're from the original realtor listing, with the former owner's stuff: https://imgur.com/a/4kEtfCC. I've done some work since then, including painting the interior + making the front door a lovely purple.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-17-2022 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-17-2022, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
We have a two-car garage here in the Bay Area, and up until very recently, we kept our vehicle in it. The garage door needs repair now (DH backed into it), so for the first time in decades the car sits on the driveway. It's awful, though, as the tall tree out front is a perch for birds who regularly make deposits on the car. The car gets really hot sitting out on the driveway, too. I'm looking forward to getting the car back where it belongs, in the garage.

I don't think it is hazardous to keep a car in a garage, but maybe it is in your wooded area.
As I just mentioned above, I've never really had a garage - except in my childhood home, and one of my homes in SF. But I didn't use either personally, so I'm used to parking my own car outside. It's fine. And yeah, I think with the high fire danger where I am now, it's best to have a quick way to book out.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:41 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,607,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
As I just mentioned above, I've never really had a garage - except in my childhood home, and one of my homes in SF. But I didn't use either personally, so I'm used to parking my own car outside. It's fine. And yeah, I think with the high fire danger where I am now, it's best to have a quick way to book out.

Where winters are snowy a garage, or at least a carport, is a wonderful thing. I bought my house two years ago and it has both a garage and a carport. The garage really isn't functional at the moment. The door is ancient, and too heavy for me to open and close, and it doesn't open all the way. But the enclosed carport which is attached to the garage is the best thing since sliced bread.

Not having to prestart my car to defrost the windshield, or brush the snow off every single morning for six months, or worry about it becoming encased in ice...I haven't gotten over the joy of it after two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House