Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:45 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,240 times

Advertisements

For indoor cleaning of mirrors and such, I typically use a barely damp microfiber cloth. For windows in bright areas that tend to show streaks, I use Invisible Glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 08:23 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
I use "supercloth" they are not microfiber and they are amazing!

I get it good and wet then squeeze out the excess water then simply wipe windows, mirrors, even the TV and veneer furniture.

I have a separate on just for the outside of my windows. The rest is for everywhere else. Never one single streak. No spray cleaners needed either.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:02 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
E-cloth for glass. No soap, no nothing but water and the cloth. You might have to do it twice if it's a really dirty window. But I do my mirrors and windows (inside) and it's great. Some of their products are not so hot, but the ones that work, they really work. I haven't paid for soap for floors or windows in like 2 decades.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:16 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I do remember years ago doing the newspaper with I think ammonia and water but since I found Sprayway ( not sure where I heard of it) that's what I use. I find it readily available now, HD, Target, Walmart, local supermarket. Good stuff!!

Old 09-04-2022, 07:02 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
White vinegar. Easy.

Old 09-04-2022, 07:38 AM

4,862 posts, read 2,673,519 times
a typical spray bottle full of 1/2 isopropyl alcohol and 1/2 distilled bottled water with a capful of vinegar and paper towels..steak free..

Old 09-04-2022, 08:00 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yeah, the key is to recognize it is a DEEP clean, and not a regular clean. Once the glass is in shape, other techniques, such as simple water and a squeegee can keep it like that for quite a while. I guess it is similar to vacuuming a rug but only using a steam clean extraction on it when vacuuming isn't cutting it.

- and most glass would get nowhere near as dirty as my patio doors. The joys of country living.
For 15 years, I cleaned all the interior windows, including glass refrigerator doors and hood glass, in microbiology buildings (RML) every six months. The buildings were very old and therein unsealed, with open windows with not well fitted screens (some open with no screens at all).

The buildings were constantly infested with flies, beetles, hornets, etc. The labs couldn't use chemicals to clear the bugs out because the chemicals would disrupt their biology experiments, especially with their ticks. (mostly Lyme disease ticks). The flies were stuck on the glass in their small dried pools of mucky bacterial goo that invaded the flies and took over all the organs of the fly in a sequence whereby then were ejected from the body all at once, killing the fly instantly, leaving them in their last statued stance (all slightly different stances). This fly problem never showed up on the outside of the buildings, which I cleaned twice a year with a Tucker Pole (after removing all the screens and then having to put them all back up).

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...4&action=click

I gotta tell ya, I used strong ammonia solutions along with used green scouring pads before squeegeeing them off - and then going over them again with water to dilute the residues and then re-squeegeeing them (on the inside windows). There was a lot of insect fecal on the inside windows other than just the the flies' bacteria ejections.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Rocky+Moun...C863&ia=images

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 09-04-2022 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
White vinegar. Easy.
No lubricants and you get a squeegee stuck on the glass with vinegar or other acids.

Those acids can really grab the glass.

Old 09-04-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Had to wash our hands after reading the papers back the. , hands were black in no time
I delivered the Flint Journal, in the 60s, and my hands got really black, too.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 09-04-2022 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-04-2022, 10:18 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
For 15 years, I cleaned all the interior windows, including glass refrigerator doors and hood glass, in microbiology buildings (RML) every six months. The buildings were very old and therein unsealed, with open windows with not well fitted screens (some open with no screens at all).

The buildings were constantly infested with flies, beetles, hornets, etc. The labs couldn't use chemicals to clear the bugs out because the chemicals would disrupt their biology experiments, especially with their ticks. (mostly Lyme disease ticks). The flies were stuck on the glass in their small dried pools of mucky bacterial goo that invaded the flies and took over all the organs of the fly in a sequence whereby then were ejected from the body all at once, killing the fly instantly, leaving them in their last statued stance (all slightly different stances). This fly problem never showed up on the outside of the buildings, which I cleaned twice a year with a Tucker Pole (after removing all the screens and then having to put them all back up).

I gotta tell ya, I used strong ammonia solutions along with used green scouring pads before squeegeeing them off - and then going over them again with water to dilute the residues and then re-squeegeeing them (on the inside windows). There was a lot of insect fecal on the inside windows other than just the the flies' bacteria ejections.
I have a pretty good understanding of what you went through for those 15 years. As a kid, I was tasked with cleaning the interior lighting in a radio station set of studios, as part of renovations. There were two announcers who had been there forever and were chain smokers, the boss always had a cigar, and the lights hadn't been touched for years. There were fly carcasses and nicotine stains that colored the white of the fixtures to a deep brownish yellow.

It took buckets of sudsing ammonia and S pic & Span to get them back to some semblance of clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House