Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 02:33 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,642,959 times

Advertisements

We have black granite countertops in the kitchen.

One day, I wiped down the countertop with windex, and while the countertop was still mildly (barely) damp, I set a hot pot down on the surface - which left a round stain around the perimeter of the pot, on the granite.

Thus far, I have tried everything: commercial granite cleaners, which seemed to make it worse.

I then tried making a paste of baking soda and peroxide; I covered it with saran wrap for a week, and the stain disappeared.

But then it reappeared.

I then tried repeating the process several times; several times the stain disappeared, and reappeared.

I tried using Maguires cleaner wax on the surface, to no avail.

I havent included a photo of the granite on this thread: it's very cloudy outside, and without natural sunlight, the photo won't highlight the problem.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 04:30 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I'm surprised to hear that your black granite stained like that. I might take some pictures of the stains and take them to a granite fabricator and see if they have any ideas. I don't know if it can be buffed out or what they would need to do to fix that.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:00 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Was the Windex one of the ammonia based products (all are not)?

Old 11-15-2022, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm surprised to hear that your black granite stained like that. I might take some pictures of the stains and take them to a granite fabricator and see if they have any ideas. I don't know if it can be buffed out or what they would need to do to fix that.
Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is, I haven't found a reliable granite fabricator in my area. I will keep searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Was the Windex one of the ammonia based products (all are not)?
Appreciate the reply. It might well have; I no longer have the bottle. I do know that it did not contain vinegar.

Old 11-16-2022, 05:08 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I'm puzzled as well. From what I recall, if it did have ammonia, that only hurts the sealant. (Doesn;t hurt the granite or do anything permanently). I'd check around a bit more, but maybe try using the sealant again to see ?

I had dark granite in my last house and was not very gentle with it. I think maybe after 5 years I reapplied the sealant but it honestly didn't seem to need it. In this house I have a lighter quartzite and haven't reapplied the sealant yet.
In a powder room I have black granite that does show lots of water marks even though it's been sealed. They do come out when wiped though. ( that they reappear is from new drips ...

Old 11-16-2022, 05:29 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
How long ago it happened? The granite might be still wet inside and drying.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:24 AM

As others have lamented to after my inquiry, I’m thinking the ammonia, and the high heat from the pan, may have had some effect on the sealer of the granite.

Cleaning the area with some isopropyl alcohol and reapplying a sealant may resolve the issue.

Old 11-16-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I'm puzzled as well. From what I recall, if it did have ammonia, that only hurts the sealant. (Doesn;t hurt the granite or do anything permanently). I'd check around a bit more, but maybe try using the sealant again to see ?

I had dark granite in my last house and was not very gentle with it. I think maybe after 5 years I reapplied the sealant but it honestly didn't seem to need it. In this house I have a lighter quartzite and haven't reapplied the sealant yet.
In a powder room I have black granite that does show lots of water marks even though it's been sealed. They do come out when wiped though. ( that they reappear is from new drips ...
Thanks so much for the reply, and suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How long ago it happened? The granite might be still wet inside and drying.
Appreciate the reply. I would say this happened in the late Spring - late April/early May?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As others have lamented to after my inquiry, I’m thinking the ammonia, and the high heat from the pan, may have had some effect on the sealer of the granite.

Cleaning the area with some isopropyl alcohol and reapplying a sealant may resolve the issue.
Thanks for your interest in my problem. I have cleaned the area with alcohol, but I have yet to reseal it. We'll see if it helps.

Old 11-16-2022, 11:18 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Ammonia-based cleaners aren't supposed to be used on marble, especially black marble, because they can etch the stone. Maybe black granite has enough of the same minerals to have the same response when heated. Just a guess. I think you need professional input here. And I'd switch to something like Daily Cleaner, which is ammonia-free.

Old 11-16-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Ammonia-based cleaners aren't supposed to be used on marble, especially black marble, because they can etch the stone. Maybe black granite has enough of the same minerals to have the same response when heated. Just a guess. I think you need professional input here. And I'd switch to something like Daily Cleaner, which is ammonia-free.

Ammonia is considered a “base”. It is neither acidic or alkaline- it does not “etch”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House