Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 07:53 AM

712 posts, read 554,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.williamscomfortprod.com/...s-detail-page/

This vented gas space heater is available with thermostat.
There isn't much wall space that isn't a window. Then the space to walk through to the other room. See the picture. The space heater we have hangs on the wall and tucks back a bit which works well. The heater you shared with me is really big. Thank you though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2022, 10:35 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
There isn't much wall space that isn't a window. Then the space to walk through to the other room. See the picture. The space heater we have hangs on the wall and tucks back a bit which works well. The heater you shared with me is really big. Thank you though.
My wife’s family home was very old and drafty. They had one like what I shared with you. By itself it was powerful enough to heat several rooms easily. Downside was the two closest rooms got too hot before the furthest room felt remotely warm. When I say drafty and old, the siding shingles was asbestos, it was originally 2 feet off the ground but had sunk to less than a foot, the flooring and some other parts of the home was cyprus wood, and the wires were wrapped in cloth insulation.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:51 AM

712 posts, read 554,392 times
Quote:
My wife’s family home was very old and drafty. They had one like what I shared with you. By itself it was powerful enough to heat several rooms easily. Downside was the two closest rooms got too hot before the furthest room felt remotely warm. When I say drafty and old, the siding shingles was asbestos, it was originally 2 feet off the ground but had sunk to less than a foot, the flooring and some other parts of the home was cyprus wood, and the wires were wrapped in cloth insulation.
OH dear! That sounds sad.

Our room isn't drafty at all. But needs something that keeps the temperatures decent when we go to bed.

Old 12-29-2022, 04:48 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitak1982 View Post
I have a family room that has no heat by itself. We have a wall-mounted gas space heater and an electric fireplace.

Here is my problem. I need to purchase a heater that has a thermostat that kicks off and on to keep the room around 65 as with this cold snap it has dropped to below 50 a few times. I have a room full of plants that I don't want to freeze.

There is no thermostat on any of my devices. Can you buy a device that you plug the fireplace in that will help us? I am kinda lost on what to do.
This sounds like my living room (no heat source). I have an oil-filled space heater (I wouldn't leave it on while I'm away from my house though, but it's safe--as those can be and they're one of the safer space heaters out there) that keeps the room warm. The one I have does have a thermostat you can use to set the temp to what you'd like. However, I just set it on one of the low/med/high (only high when it's in single digits) and it works well enough.

I second the advice you got (didn't have time to read the entire thread) about the mini-splits. I'm hoping to get those installed by next winter. The house I moved from had them (also a drafty home with like 89 windows; an exaggeration) and they were awesome; very efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I have high ceilings in my bedroom, one of the dumbest ideas ever.

So I mainly target heating to warm myself, as opposed to trying to heat the room, stupid
high ceilings and all.
Yeah, I never got this either. I'd never willingly have high ceilings in any room. Can anyone explain the appeal? Is it the look or feel? It has to be something coming from those who have tons of money to throw around (and/or live in climates where temp control isn't an issue). I agree though that it's the dumbest thing ever. But then this is coming from someone who isn't independently wealthy, so those of a different species I'm sure have their different opinions.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
This sounds like my living room (no heat source). I have an oil-filled space heater (I wouldn't leave it on while I'm away from my house though, but it's safe--as those can be and they're one of the safer space heaters out there) that keeps the room warm. The one I have does have a thermostat you can use to set the temp to what you'd like. However, I just set it on one of the low/med/high (only high when it's in single digits) and it works well enough.

I second the advice you got (didn't have time to read the entire thread) about the mini-splits. I'm hoping to get those installed by next winter. The house I moved from had them (also a drafty home with like 89 windows; an exaggeration) and they were awesome; very efficient.

Yeah, I never got this either. I'd never willingly have high ceilings in any room. Can anyone explain the appeal? Is it the look or feel? It has to be something coming from those who have tons of money to throw around (and/or live in climates where temp control isn't an issue). I agree though that it's the dumbest thing ever. But then this is coming from someone who isn't independently wealthy, so those of a different species I'm sure have their different opinions.
In the high end there are some models of oil filled radiator heaters that will automatically increase or decrease power output in an economy mode so as to use the least amount of power to maintain the temperature set point.

Old 12-29-2022, 10:04 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,667,498 times
Post Lasko marketing name is "Auto-Eco Thermostat", others just call it "ECO" or "Smart Eco"

Personally I prefer the flat-panel "micathermic" heaters because they're so much smaller and lighter, and can be mounted on a wall to take up zero floor space.
Quote:
In the high end there are some models of oil filled radiator heaters that will automatically increase or decrease power output in an economy mode so as to use the least amount of power to maintain the temperature set point.
Lasko calls this feature "Auto-Eco Thermostat", others just call it "ECO" or "Smart Eco"

ECO isn't unique to the "oil-filled" models, and ECO is, if anything, even more effective when used by on faster-responding type of resistive electric heater (meaning pretty much anything else except "oil-filled").

My objection to "oil" isn't just the mystery oil added in the Chinese factory, but also that the claimed advantage ("slow to cool down") is not only matched by being equally slow to warm up when first turned on, but is also wasteful -- when you turn it off and leave the room, all that banked heat is spent warming a vacant room.

Old 12-29-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Personally I prefer the flat-panel "micathermic" heaters because they're so much smaller and lighter, and can be mounted on a wall to take up zero floor space.

Lasko calls this feature "Auto-Eco Thermostat", others just call it "ECO" or "Smart Eco"

ECO isn't unique to the "oil-filled" models, and ECO is, if anything, even more effective when used by on faster-responding type of resistive electric heater (meaning pretty much anything else except "oil-filled").

My objection to "oil" isn't just the mystery oil added in the Chinese factory, but also that the claimed advantage ("slow to cool down") is not only matched by being equally slow to warm up when first turned on, but is also wasteful -- when you turn it off and leave the room, all that banked heat is spent warming a vacant room.
The advantage is for places like a bedroom or office. It more easily maintains room temperature you desire without a noisy fan or light from a heating element. Yes, it does take longer to heat the room but once it reaches the temperature then it easily maintains the temperature with virtually no noise at all. They’re not good for a drafty room nor a large room. I like the idea of the mica panel heaters. One complaint I’ve seen involve some models giving off a smell when turned on. Though not cost effective, if you’re a lady at a work desk who is always cold they do have small panel heaters for under the desk that use less electricity than most heaters and are more fire safe than those other heaters. Downside is cost and they don’t generate as much heat. Plus side is they do generate a gentle warmth which is trapped under the desk where the person is most often cold. That went off on a tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House