Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 07:55 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,925,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh, no, I live near the Columbia Employee store and they let Vets in. So, I buy them deeply discounted.
Awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 09:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,038,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Do you not have a water heater, or is there a power/gas outage in your area?
Yes on the water heater but if there is no water from the well, the boost pump cannot build pressure in the system.

Old 01-25-2023, 09:44 AM

9,525 posts, read 9,848,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I can't stand hardwood or tile floors. I've had both and prefer carpeting. I grew up with wall-to-wall carpeting, the low nap kind (not shag). Like the OP said, it's warmer, softer and easier to clean, even with kids and pets. YMMV.
In my experience, carpet is not easier to clean than hardwoods.

For hard floors, we run a swivel type dust mop over the floors. Takes a few minutes for all floors. Weekly, we use vinegar to mop. Takes 15-20 minutes.

Before that we had carpeting. To make carpet look "fresh" it would need a daily vacuum. To "clean" you have to either use a home steam cleaner or professional.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:04 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,925,433 times
Yes, I agree about the cleaning of hardwood. I currently have mostly hardwood, with area rugs. Vinegar is definitely the way to go IMO. Carpeting is more difficult to clean. Frequent vacuuming is the way to go, again IMO.

I can't even imagine living in a cold climate with hardwood or tile. Tile works in the desert because it keeps things cooler. If the condo mentioned above by me had been mine, I would have torn out the ugly tile and replaced it with tile that was much more pleasing to the eye.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I don't know anything about Sorel slippers, but I seriously doubt that they provide more cushioning than a decent carpet laid on top of a GOOD pad. With carpeting, the PAD makes all the difference. So, unless your slippers have soles that are 2" thick, I'm going to challenge your assertion.
I’m not aware of any carpeting providing arch support. Even if something is cushioned, it doesn’t always provide the firm support we need in different areas of the foot.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:55 AM

41,994 posts, read 75,287,946 times
I like a mix. I want carpet in bedrooms and on the stairs and hall. Hard surfaces in the living spaces, with area rugs where appropriate. Carpet in the finished basement. Tile in the bathrooms.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:59 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,133,176 times
carpet all day. Not only because it makes the floor warmer, but more because it absorbs sound. Not a fan of an echo-filled home.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:50 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,334,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
carpet all day. Not only because it makes the floor warmer, but more because it absorbs sound. Not a fan of an echo-filled home.

I have hardwood floors throughout my 1932 house and there are no echos. Things like furniture and the like keep that from happening. Maybe you might want to invest in a couch?

Old 01-25-2023, 02:02 PM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In my experience, carpet is not easier to clean than hardwoods.

For hard floors, we run a swivel type dust mop over the floors. Takes a few minutes for all floors. Weekly, we use vinegar to mop. Takes 15-20 minutes.

Before that we had carpeting. To make carpet look "fresh" it would need a daily vacuum. To "clean" you have to either use a home steam cleaner or professional.
I'm with you there.

The deal is, carpet can go longer without cleaning, whereas hardwood floors need daily dust moping, and weekly damp moping.

I use long runners at both our entrances to get the dirt off shoes, and give room to put on slippers.

Somehow, floors are still constantly covered in fuzz, and bits of this and that.

I use a swivel mop for a quick run through, a cordless vacuum every other day, and damp mop weekly for the hardwood floors.

I vacuum the runners with the regular vacuum every day or so to get rid of all the debris tracked in, and the area rugs in the living room and family room once a week.

I love having carpet on the stairs and in bedrooms. Just don't have them here. Areas rugs with this pads work. They define the area and set the tone for the room.

So overall, it seems that hardwood floors require constant upkeep, whereas carpeted bedrooms, etc. can go longer between vacuuming, but then also require shampooing every once in a while, and that's a project.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:59 PM

11,592 posts, read 6,072,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I saw many bathrooms with carpets from that time.
So disgusting, l won't comment on that.

https://www.thehouseshop.com/propert...gliest-houses/

BTW:
Could you image this installed in your house?

https://www.google.com/search?client...ih=751&dpr=3.5
Tha is just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House