Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 05:09 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
"Who else thinks carpeting is better than hard flooring?"

No one who has pets.
Well, an exception to this "rule" happens to be writing this reply. If you have pets, your floors, whether hard or soft, need more care/maintenance. What that ends up being is just different.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-21-2023 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2023, 07:04 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I bought a house with fairly new carpeting and was thinking of replacing the common areas with wood flooring, but the problem is I actually think carpeting is better besides being harder to keep clean. However, the carpeting is fairly new, so it hasn't accumulated a lot of dust and dirt that my vacuum can't get to. I will eventually convert to wood flooring after my carpeting ages, but I just don't see a reason to now.

I like carpeting because:
1) Its softer on my feet.
2) It absorbs more sound.
3) Its warmer on my feet.
4) It doesn't show dirt as easy and I'd rather vacuum then clean hard flooring.
And, obviously, you don't have pets........right? If you don't, enough said. If you do, what's your secret to handle all the places they will go?

Old 01-21-2023, 07:30 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I removed all carpets many years ago, when I realized that carpets are a catch-all for dirt, with dust mites, pet hair, pet urine, dead skin cells, dust, insect feces, insect husks, bacteria, mold, volatile organic compounds, and many other types of allergens clinging to the fibers AND no vacuums or shampooing is able to collect that all.
Lots of American homes have entry doors leading directly to living areas, and changing shoes isn't really a habit of most, so just imagine what are you bringing in from outside.
I do have area rugs that can be properly/professionally cleaned.

Nowadays, carpet is often seen as outdated, dingy, and even unsanitary. And I agree.

https://flooringmasters.com/how-dirt...arpets-really/

Old 01-21-2023, 07:34 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,741,154 times
For the most part I am of the school who would like to ban carpet from the entire home.

However, after struggling through the first half of winter after moving to a place with actual winters, having warm carpet on the floor sounds nice. I think I’ll still compromise and get rugs though. Kids and pets give anything carpet-adjacent like rugs a shamefully short lifespan.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:35 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I like carpet everywhere except the baths and kitchen. I even had pets for many years. I thought it was easier to vacuum the pet hair then try to keep up with the fur balls that would fly all over the hard floors.

Old 01-21-2023, 10:55 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Having a combination of hardwood, tile, and carpet, if I didn't want to move I would most likely have continuous tile put in. I say that having real hardwood, not the thin wood flooring that is sold today. When I buy a new house I will likely have that done before moving in. I'm not be a fan of luxury vinyl or laminate, although if I had children I would consider it.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:00 AM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Carpeting is comfy and luxurious, especially if you have a good thick pad, but it is a pain to keep clean, especially if you have pet hair like dog hair, and the dog constantly brings in dirt. Wood, tile, and vinyl are much easier to keep clean.

No doubt, thick carpeting feels great underfoot but my next home will be wood flooring for the dog.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:04 AM

11,483 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I removed all carpets many years ago, when I realized that carpets are a catch-all for dirt, with dust mites, pet hair, pet urine, dead skin cells, dust, insect feces, insect husks, bacteria, mold, volatile organic compounds, and many other types of allergens clinging to the fibers AND no vacuums or shampooing is able to collect that all.
Lots of American homes have entry doors leading directly to living areas, and changing shoes isn't really a habit of most, so just imagine what are you bringing in from outside.
I do have area rugs that can be properly/professionally cleaned.

Nowadays, carpet is often seen as outdated, dingy, and even unsanitary. And I agree.

https://flooringmasters.com/how-dirt...arpets-really/
I learned long ago the benefits of not wearing outdoor shoes in the house. It is not fair or practical to make children live that way, but as an adult I never wear outdoor shoes at home. It really helps.

Old 01-22-2023, 01:39 AM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Sure, l always change my street shoes to house shoes, but we had a thread about it not long ago, and most people in the US don't practice it.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/worl...able-wear.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/hous...shoes-off.html

Old 01-22-2023, 04:46 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
For the most part I am of the school who would like to ban carpet from the entire home.

However, after struggling through the first half of winter after moving to a place with actual winters, having warm carpet on the floor sounds nice. I think I’ll still compromise and get rugs though. Kids and pets give anything carpet-adjacent like rugs a shamefully short lifespan.
Well, I am of the school that, furnishing wise, the house becomes a home when the rugs, the Kirmans, are laid down. I am so much into them (and had so many destroyed under me), that I have gone synthetic over wool, but at one time, I even had them in the walk in closets.....that's where they got destroyed by a water seepage that I didn't know about in a rear closet.

But everything comes with a problem like the runner rug I found, put down in a hallway, and the cats love it, to be on like it was made of catnip, to slide on like otters, to throw up and poop on. Not quite sure why they pick that particular rug, though.

I have a very small Kirman (my flying carpet for short trips) that I got as a meditation rug back before I went on drugs for my BP. That is in the door entry way, where their sunbeams hit, so very little pooping happens there but it is also deep red to that white one. There are three other large ones down but since they are mostly covered by furniture and boxes, I think that saves them as targets.

I love my western boots, I spend so much time in them, but getting them off to be on a rug, NOT A CARPET, feels wonderful.........kitten landmines not withstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, l always change my street shoes to house shoes, but we had a thread about it not long ago, and most people in the US don't practice it.
That was a thought for a day a couple weeks back, I remember putting it in the diary but don't recall why I was thinking that, of having ballet slippers to wear inside the house. It may have been to not suddenly slip as much when a boot heel hits what the pets leave behind.....it may have been as part of a fantasy, such as to live like Purdey https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdey_(The_New_Avengers) . Just a thought at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House