Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2023, 02:08 PM

37,644 posts, read 46,061,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
What I really like a lot more about hardwood and tile compared to my beige carpet is that when someone is coming to visit I do not have to rush around to schedule and time a professional carpet cleaning (saving me time and money). Since 2015 I've just about saved at least 1/2 of what I spent to upgrade from carpeting by not having to have carpet continually professionally cleaned
In 23 years I never had my carpets professionally cleaned. I vacuumed them regularly and used occasional carpet spot remover when needed. You must have messy smelly pets or something. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You have the carpet professionally cleaned just because you expect to have visitors soon?????? C'mon now. This is getting ridiculous.
Seriously.

Old 01-24-2023, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,610 posts, read 81,297,702 times
Our high traffic areas downstairs, the family room, kitchen, den and half bath are hardwood. The living room and dining room, and upstairs bedrooms, hall and bonus room are all carpeted. The upstairs bathrooms are tile or vinyl. That's the way we like it. More comfortable upstairs, more durable and easier to clean downstairs.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:13 PM

7,251 posts, read 7,089,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
I don't know anything about Sorel slippers, but I seriously doubt that they provide more cushioning than a decent carpet laid on top of a GOOD pad. With carpeting, the PAD makes all the difference. So, unless your slippers have soles that are 2" thick, I'm going to challenge your assertion.
However, slippers are easy to get, cheaper, washable, come in a variety of colors and don't hold onto allergens or pet urine.

Wood floors every time. Slippers optional.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:15 PM

61,825 posts, read 87,292,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
In 23 years I never had my carpets professionally cleaned. I vacuumed them regularly and used occasional carpet spot remover when needed. You must have messy smelly pets or something. Yikes.
Whatever lives inside is pretty much invisible. But it's there, trust me.

Last edited by elnina; 01-24-2023 at 04:26 PM..

Old 01-24-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Whatever lives inside is pretty much invisible. But it's there, trust me.
I don't care - there are dust mites everywhere in the house - there's no way to eliminate them. Vacuuming and occasional spot maintenance kept my carpet in great shape - for 23 years. No dirt under them when they were pulled up either. No allergies in my house either. That's good enough for me. Like I said - all the "OMG all the stuff living in your carpets".... If you have pets, then carpet would be stupid. Otherwise, keep'em clean, and they're fine.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:44 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,284,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

They were very light beige and started looking gray about every three to six months. Professionally cleaning them turned them back to their very light beige color (new condition). Probably had something to do with my continual use of Woolite Rug Cleaner. Who knows. I do love my hardwoods. They're beautiful and I had to upgrade my vacuums to the Miele hardwood floor vacuums when I got a new rescue cat in 2016. He is a professional shedder.

Carpets were easier in some ways. I could buy those $70 Hoover upright vacuums that would last 7-10 years and vacuum the house very quickly. However, once the carpet hit around age 7-8 I thought about replacing it incessantly until I finally did at the 13 year mark (and I almost replaced it with carpet and then one day I got diagnosed with Asthma and drove straight from my Allergist's office to Lumber Liquidators and ordered my white oak flooring).

The carpeting was the cheapest contractor grade carpeting on the planet.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:05 PM

537 posts, read 448,285 times
We prefer real hardwood flooring in the public areas of my home--with rugs. And we prefer wall to wall carpet in the bedrooms and baths of all porcelain tile.

My daughter has a beautiful home--over 3000 square feet--and she put laminate flooring in the entire home. The bedrooms feel so cold, and the sound of the laminate flooring is not good. Her flooring is simply not up to the quality of the rest of the house.

Few people in this market want carpeting all over their houses. You'd have difficulties selling such a house.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:15 PM

7,651 posts, read 3,284,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post
We prefer real hardwood flooring in the public areas of my home--with rugs. And we prefer wall to wall carpet in the bedrooms and baths of all porcelain tile.

My daughter has a beautiful home--over 3000 square feet--and she put laminate flooring in the entire home. The bedrooms feel so cold, and the sound of the laminate flooring is not good. Her flooring is simply not up to the quality of the rest of the house.

Few people in this market want carpeting all over their houses. You'd have difficulties selling such a house.

I don't get these kids and their laminate flooring.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:17 PM

690 posts, read 642,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Carpets are a major problem if you are allergies. If you have pets they are even worse to have.
+1000

I have allergies and prefer hard surfaces (and TBH minimal decor that catches dust).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House