Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 05:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,668,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've never spent $75.00 on a pair of slippers and I certainly don't intend to.

This topic is like smokers and non- smokers. They both have rights, they both have preferences and they both have freedom of choice.
I don’t wear slippers- I wear indoor shoes that I feel have better support for my feet. I did have foot pain when walking barefoot, but once I switched to having indoor shoes, that largely resolved. To the OP, I do not have pets but every allergist I’ve had has recommended against carpet and I have noticed a dramatic improvement in my allergies once I moved to places without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 06:04 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,574,457 times
In the main living areas, I definitely prefer a hard, easier to clean surface. In the bedrooms I can go either way. Our first house had hardwood in the bedrooms and we had area rugs in there anyway. Our current house has carpets in the bedrooms, but hardwoods in the hall and in the living areas downstairs.

I don't think I would ever want a kitchen with hardwood floors again. A nice large tiled floor with minimal grout surface is what I would want.

Our first house also "featured" a carpeted first floor half bath....I cannot even describe to you the smell that erupted when I peeled back that carpet. By the time we bought that house in 2003, the carpet was probably about 30 years old and had been through a family of 6, 3 of which were boys. As a male, I can understand the occasional "overspray", but carpet in the bathroom....never.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:41 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I have wool carpet in the bedrooms, heated tile bath, and old school tongue & groove oak that went down unfinished and is urethaned. The oak flooring has some area rugs. Coastal New England so typical beach cottage look.

The Colorado place is more contemporary so it has 6” maple engineered flooring and synthetic carpet in the bedrooms. I haven’t addressed the flooring in the bathrooms yet so it’s sheet vinyl.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:12 AM

5,973 posts, read 3,715,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I'm sure my Sorel slippers on hardwood is a lot more ergonomic than bare feet on carpet.
I don't know anything about Sorel slippers, but I seriously doubt that they provide more cushioning than a decent carpet laid on top of a GOOD pad. With carpeting, the PAD makes all the difference. So, unless your slippers have soles that are 2" thick, I'm going to challenge your assertion.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
What I really like a lot more about hardwood and tile compared to my beige carpet is that when someone is coming to visit I do not have to rush around to schedule and time a professional carpet cleaning (saving me time and money). Since 2015 I've just about saved at least 1/2 of what I spent to upgrade from carpeting by not having to have carpet continually professionally cleaned
You have the carpet professionally cleaned just because you expect to have visitors soon?????? C'mon now. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 01-24-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
In the main living areas, I definitely prefer a hard, easier to clean surface. In the bedrooms I can go either way. Our first house had hardwood in the bedrooms and we had area rugs in there anyway. Our current house has carpets in the bedrooms, but hardwoods in the hall and in the living areas downstairs.

I don't think I would ever want a kitchen with hardwood floors again. A nice large tiled floor with minimal grout surface is what I would want.

Our first house also "featured" a carpeted first floor half bath....I cannot even describe to you the smell that erupted when I peeled back that carpet. By the time we bought that house in 2003, the carpet was probably about 30 years old and had been through a family of 6, 3 of which were boys. As a male, I can understand the occasional "overspray", but carpet in the bathroom....never.
Hmmm, I think I would have worded that sentence a bit differently. Maybe it's just my "dirty" mind that needs a good vacuuming.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've never spent $75.00 on a pair of slippers and I certainly don't intend to.

This topic is like smokers and non- smokers. They both have rights, they both have preferences and they both have freedom of choice.
Oh, no, I live near the Columbia Employee store and they let Vets in. So, I buy them deeply discounted.

Old 01-24-2023, 11:22 AM

7,492 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
You have the carpet professionally cleaned just because you expect to have visitors soon?????? C'mon now. This is getting ridiculous.

That beige carpet was regrettable for sure. And, yes, I did clean it before guests. Remember, I kept it 13 years (and it was practically white).

Old 01-24-2023, 12:46 PM

3,184 posts, read 1,659,838 times
Carpets are a major problem if you are allergies. If you have pets they are even worse to have.

Old 01-24-2023, 01:45 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,172,411 times
Love carpet.....don't think about what is living in it! Dust mites are pretty ugly critters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House