Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 11:09 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,335,021 times

Advertisements

My 1932 house came with original hardwoods and I love the color and the ease of cleaning it. We HAD carpet in the master bedroom addition, but we also foster medical needs dogs (usually older that can't be placed in forever homes) and even steam cleaning can't always eliminate the few stains they get. We ended up replacing the carpet with padded waterproof laminate and it's just as warm, not hard on the feet to walk on and MUCH easier to clean.

A lot of people love their carpets and think they are clean, until they go to sell, remove the furniture and this is what's left:
Attached Thumbnails
Who else thinks carpeting is better than hard flooring?-carpet_wear.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 04:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Here's something to throw into the wash, what kind of floor do you want when you have to use emergency measures. This morning, I sponged bathed from a basin in the kitchen. I am in a forest, so no worries of peeping toms.....but if I catch someone peeking in my intimate moments, I might flick them with a drop from my wash cloth and leave them to their fate.

As oppose to carrying a kettle of water from the stove into my shower area, I did it all in the kitchen (to Pat Benatar's True Love album, jazzy 20s flapper music!). The floor is wood and easy to clean up if needed.

Now, maybe one doesn't have to think in these terms, of outage emergencies to doing meatball surgery on the island but if so, then it is something else to think about.
Do you not have a water heater, or is there a power/gas outage in your area?

Old 01-23-2023, 04:46 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I think opinions should be divided into house owners and condo owners (or apartment dwellers) for this reason:

House owners can do whatever they want in their home - go with the latest trend (which will be perhaps superseded in a decade),and be happy.

But condo owners should NEVER have hard floors without room-sized rugs on top. This is for the mental health of the people downstairs. Their floors should either be completely carpeted except for kitchens and baths,or fitted up with rugs. Even if you think you tiptoe around in your condo, reverberations happen, trust me.
In most places, condo owners now have to use a rubber noise-blocking membrane between the (concrete) floor and tile or wood. Mine cost more than $2,000 under my living room, kitchen, bathroom, and hallway. It is one eighth of an inch thick and does nothing as far as I can tell.

Fortunately, I didn't have to put it under carpet which saved me an extra thousand in the bedroom.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 01-23-2023 at 05:39 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 05:29 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,277,821 times
Carpeting works better for me especially due to old leg injuries/fractures subsequent osteoarthritis. I have a small tile entryway, textured vinyl in the kitchen and bathrooms, and carpet everywhere else. It's a nice combination. I don't think I'd fare well if the entire house had a hard surface so that's my choice for my abode.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:53 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My 1932 house came with original hardwoods and I love the color and the ease of cleaning it. We HAD carpet in the master bedroom addition, but we also foster medical needs dogs (usually older that can't be placed in forever homes) and even steam cleaning can't always eliminate the few stains they get. We ended up replacing the carpet with padded waterproof laminate and it's just as warm, not hard on the feet to walk on and MUCH easier to clean.

A lot of people love their carpets and think they are clean, until they go to sell, remove the furniture and this is what's left:
I don't see that as being "unclean." Just worn.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:15 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,393,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I bought a house with fairly new carpeting and was thinking of replacing the common areas with wood flooring, but the problem is I actually think carpeting is better besides being harder to keep clean. However, the carpeting is fairly new, so it hasn't accumulated a lot of dust and dirt that my vacuum can't get to. I will eventually convert to wood flooring after my carpeting ages, but I just don't see a reason to now.

I like carpeting because:
1) Its softer on my feet.
2) It absorbs more sound.
3) Its warmer on my feet.
4) It doesn't show dirt as easy and I'd rather vacuum then clean hard flooring.
Obviously, carpet has advantages including the ones you listed. My dogs' behavior indicates that (1) is important to them. I like carpet, even in formal spaces. I also like hardwood floors, though I prefer carpet in the bedrooms and hallways.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:24 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
What I really like a lot more about hardwood and tile compared to my beige carpet is that when someone is coming to visit I do not have to rush around to schedule and time a professional carpet cleaning (saving me time and money). Since 2015 I've just about saved at least 1/2 of what I spent to upgrade from carpeting by not having to have carpet continually professionally cleaned

Old 01-23-2023, 09:51 PM

996 posts, read 550,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I bought a house with fairly new carpeting and was thinking of replacing the common areas with wood flooring, but the problem is I actually think carpeting is better besides being harder to keep clean. However, the carpeting is fairly new, so it hasn't accumulated a lot of dust and dirt that my vacuum can't get to. I will eventually convert to wood flooring after my carpeting ages, but I just don't see a reason to now.

I like carpeting because:
1) Its softer on my feet.
2) It absorbs more sound.
3) Its warmer on my feet.
4) It doesn't show dirt as easy and I'd rather vacuum then clean hard flooring.
These are the main reason I prefer carpeting. Multiple OSHA studies have shown that human bones are not made to stand on hard flooring. Hardwood and laminate have some give but not much. People that walk around on tile their whole lives unknowingly cause damage to their bones and joints.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:57 PM

7,673 posts, read 3,305,600 times
I'm sure my Sorel slippers on hardwood is a lot more ergonomic than bare feet on carpet.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:19 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,929,389 times
I've never spent $75.00 on a pair of slippers and I certainly don't intend to.

This topic is like smokers and non- smokers. They both have rights, they both have preferences and they both have freedom of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House