Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2023, 10:16 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This may be what stands in the way for some of us, remembering a home getting ready for a move, disassembling our life there, and it seeming so EMPTY! It was how I recalled my apartment move at the turn of the century.....and recalling that, it was what lead to the situation of Operation:WHIRLWIND some 15 years later. That is, I wasn't ready to disassemble my home.

One thing about that move, from apartments to rental home, was that I did get rid of things pushed off on me that I had no use for, like crystal, like the exercise bike. Of course, in those 2 days of WHIRLWIND, a lot more got dumped, desired or not.

Space is interesting for that which takes up wall space, such as dressers, desks, and curio cabinets, could be used for wall art and mirrors. For me, curio cabinets are part of life but I still don't know where I am going to put #4, currently unassembled in a closet. Fortunately, I got out of my desk obsession with three. Finally, since there is no room for another dresser (the dance room is reserved only for dance) I am finding other ways of doing the oodles of clothes: the old boyfriend closet, the costume closet, storage trunks that fit under the window sill, etc.. Further, those clothes I find which have no wearing use, such as unopen tights from my Parklane/Stevie Nicks ballet days (ie, 40 years ago), are regulated out of clothing to miscel emergency supplies such as filters.

HUH? Well, at 40 years old, open or not, would they really standup to being used as tights?

As it is, though, I think some of that wall space will be taken up by another lingerie dresser. My bedroom can take that, #2 but I am not sure if the issue becomes a #3, moving a bedside table out of the dresser cluster to being a bedside table and the dresser to be in that place instead, without too much loss of wall art space. You see, digging around the camphor chest to find room for more of the stuffed animals, I found a stack of 50-100 bandanas (and being the bandana girl, 2 a day, is one of those things I am known as). I figure at a laundry day, LONG ago, they got folded and stacked but time ran out, they got pushed aside before being put away and then, disappeared into a crevice, forgotten about. Right now, they are in the 2 bandana drawers of lingerie cabinet #1 and only, but they stuff it so much, the selection of the day is limited only to what is on top and not finding the one which suits my mood.

WHICH GOES TO SHOW in regard to our thread, as we declutter, we may find long lost treasures (and not Jimmy Hoffa) which we can't bear to part with................and which may take up more room than what we have freed.
If those tights don't have latex or elastic in them, they are probably still good. These days they call them base layers or leggings, to be worn under a pair of pants or jeans during the cold days of winter. Formerly known as long johns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
That is sort of what Marie Kondo suggested. If it doesn't bring you joy, discard. She also addressed the sentimental items and pretty much just what you are doing.
Good for you! A natural!!
I saw a news clip the other day about Marie Kondo. It seems she has 2 or 3 small children now and has decided it's ok for the house to be messy at that stage of life. I guess reality set in.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Today I took a nice break from decluttering and just dropped some donations off, ran some needed errands and enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine. My car is all washed on the outside and cleaned on the inside which is nice.

Tomorrow I'm going to focus on selectively paring down our extensive book collection, selling what I can and figuring out where I can donate the books that aren't sold or given away. I've got some other odds and ends that I'll see if I can get listed tomorrow.

Today I finished two almost done candles - they smelled so good! And I finished up a teeny amount left in a bottle of perfume. So those have been enjoyed and are now gone. That's about it.
Have you searched for any used book stores in your area? They don't pay much for used books, but at least you know they will go to people who like to read.

If you have enough to make it worth their while, they will probably be willing to come pick them up.

Old 02-09-2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Have you ever sold on consignment before? I've bought items at consignment shops but I've never actually sold anything at one. What percentage of the sale do you typically keep?
I sold a few things at a consignment shop once. The percent you get depends on how fast they sell the item. For example, you might get 50% if it sells in the first 2 weeks, 30% if it sells during weeks 3 or 4, etc.

For clothing, they required the designer label still intact in the garment plus a dry cleaning tag.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:25 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I sold a few things at a consignment shop once. The percent you get depends on how fast they sell the item. For example, you might get 50% if it sells in the first 2 weeks, 30% if it sells during weeks 3 or 4, etc.

For clothing, they required the designer label still intact in the garment plus a dry cleaning tag.
I’m taking some things today to get the feel of the place. They only require that things be un wrinkled and on hangers.

Old 02-10-2023, 04:26 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Oh man, getting your husband to even consider downsizing from a 6000 sq ft barn down to a 2 car detached garage was a miracle in and of itself. Men do love their toys, don't they? We have a 3 car garage and my husband had mentioned putting a nice, big shed out back, too. I convinced him that we could make due with our large garage. And we have. I shudder to think what he would have stashed inside of a 6000 sq ft barn if he had half the chance.

At any rate, maybe you can convince your husband to do a lifestyle visit to one of the retirement communities. Check it out for a week and see what he thinks. He might find that he enjoys the carefree living and all of the fun things to do.
That’s exactly my evil plan, lol.

Old 02-10-2023, 05:39 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Have you searched for any used book stores in your area? They don't pay much for used books, but at least you know they will go to people who like to read.

If you have enough to make it worth their while, they will probably be willing to come pick them up.
That has become a hurdle around here to getting rid of ....... our half price books left town. True they don't give much.....and for what is given can be used in getting more books......but to them I would rather it went.

I suppose they could be an item in the car/truck when I do a grand tour of shopping (heading to a near city that has stock piling items). A problem for me, though, is that grand tours, even the prospect of doing, tend to be rather exhausting.....and not a great adventure to look forward to, most days.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:19 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:

I think there is one, as a matter of fact, I'll have to give them a call. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2023, 08:21 AM

7,118 posts, read 4,536,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
This may be what stands in the way for some of us, remembering a home getting ready for a move, disassembling our life there, and it seeming so EMPTY! It was how I recalled my apartment move at the turn of the century.....and recalling that, it was what lead to the situation of Operation:WHIRLWIND some 15 years later. That is, I wasn't ready to disassemble my home.

One thing about that move, from apartments to rental home, was that I did get rid of things pushed off on me that I had no use for, like crystal, like the exercise bike. Of course, in those 2 days of WHIRLWIND, a lot more got dumped, desired or not.

Space is interesting for that which takes up wall space, such as dressers, desks, and curio cabinets, could be used for wall art and mirrors. For me, curio cabinets are part of life but I still don't know where I am going to put #4, currently unassembled in a closet. Fortunately, I got out of my desk obsession with three. Finally, since there is no room for another dresser (the dance room is reserved only for dance) I am finding other ways of doing the oodles of clothes: the old boyfriend closet, the costume closet, storage trunks that fit under the window sill, etc.. Further, those clothes I find which have no wearing use, such as unopen tights from my Parklane/Stevie Nicks ballet days (ie, 40 years ago), are regulated out of clothing to miscel emergency supplies such as filters.

HUH? Well, at 40 years old, open or not, would they really standup to being used as tights?

As it is, though, I think some of that wall space will be taken up by another lingerie dresser. My bedroom can take that, #2 but I am not sure if the issue becomes a #3, moving a bedside table out of the dresser cluster to being a bedside table and the dresser to be in that place instead, without too much loss of wall art space. You see, digging around the camphor chest to find room for more of the stuffed animals, I found a stack of 50-100 bandanas (and being the bandana girl, 2 a day, is one of those things I am known as). I figure at a laundry day, LONG ago, they got folded and stacked but time ran out, they got pushed aside before being put away and then, disappeared into a crevice, forgotten about. Right now, they are in the 2 bandana drawers of lingerie cabinet #1 and only, but they stuff it so much, the selection of the day is limited only to what is on top and not finding the one which suits my mood.

WHICH GOES TO SHOW in regard to our thread, as we declutter, we may find long lost treasures (and not Jimmy Hoffa) which we can't bear to part with................and which may take up more room than what we have freed.
For me personally some empty space feels good. It’s relaxing to live in a space that’s not jammed with stuff. I am not a minimalist because that makes me uncomfortable also. My clothes take up half of one closet with a double bar. Everything else was donated. I have no curio cabinets. When I lived in a big house I had one. I have one small computer desk because I do consulting work. I have been in some condos here where people didn’t get rid of enough stuff and it’s claustrophobic. My goal is to feel great in my space and I have learned that things don’t make me happy.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:49 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
For me personally some empty space feels good. It’s relaxing to live in a space that’s not jammed with stuff. I am not a minimalist because that makes me uncomfortable also. My clothes take up half of one closet with a double bar. Everything else was donated. I have no curio cabinets. When I lived in a big house I had one. I have one small computer desk because I do consulting work. I have been in some condos here where people didn’t get rid of enough stuff and it’s claustrophobic. My goal is to feel great in my space and I have learned that things don’t make me happy.
To each their own.....but A and B.

A: IMHO, the decluttering of life may be detrimental to use as we get older and face things like dementia. Those things of the past which help us remember the past may be what we need.

B: Curios: Sympathetic Magic..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sympathetic_magic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House