Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 06:25 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m confused about the washer and dryer and freezer being moved upstairs, when you live in a one story home? Do you mean up from the basement?

My husband had a series of hip surgeries last year, and used a walker for more than 12 weeks, so we are pretty aware of the trouble spots.
Are your doorways and hallways wide enough to pass through without going sideways?
Can you get the walker into your shower?
We are tall people and we love the tall toilets. If you are short, maybe you don’t need them.
Loose throw rugs must go.
One thing that was surprising was how hard it was in the beginning (he got better at it) to navigate just the two steps to get into the house. If you are ever at the point when you are going to need a walker or wheelchair for the rest of your life, you might get a lift installed to get in and out of the house. My SIL needed this and it was about $700. at the time.
Our home is a ranch with a garage and a partial basement underneath. The W/D was in the garage.

I would have preferred a one level home with a two car garage up top. Sadly, when we were looking none of these were for sale in our price range at the location, and with the lot we wanted. We bought this home knowing that we would need to do some work.

We put in a driveway at the top of the lot so we can come and go, unload groceries, etc. from the main house level. Thought about putting in a carport, but realistically, will probably quit driving before it becomes impossible to park in the garage, and walk up the stairs.

We renovated two bathrooms, and both will work with a walker. One would work with a wheelchair, but realistically, when we get to the wheelchair stage, we need to move somewhere with some help.

I'll have to look into the lift. Current plans are for a ramp with handrails on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 09:35 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
OP~ I'd suggest looking into lightweight mobility devices sooner, rather than later.

Think about this~ a stroke patient sees an 8" curb or stair, the same as they see El Capitan.

The time interval from "walker to wheelchair" can be amazingly short, so be prepared. For some of my patients, it's days.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:52 AM

613 posts, read 944,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP,

Something to consider in your hopeful future.
Prepare for astronomical medical bills even with medicare. Be cautious with your money.

Is this true even with a medicare supplement plan? Could you elaborate a bit?

My situation: age 72, in pretty good shape so far (knock wood!), having some more trouble with stairs. I live in a nice 2 story house, with basement, so 2 sets of stairs. The basement stairs I've given up on: very steep, & only one handrail, & I don't know who to hire to install a 2nd. My big issue is the shower: on 2nd floor, & a tub/shower combo. About a year ago I just didn't want to climb in & out of a tub to take a shower any more. Thinking of getting it replaced with a walk-in shower, but of course that's a major reno, & it's still on 2nd floor.

Also the R.E. market around here (S. NH) in any nice area is a raging seller's market, w/o a lot of single story houses, & the ones there are either horrible, or sell instantly. I also just moved here in 2015, & that was such a massive effort that I don't know if I could do it again.

Last edited by WoodyWW; 02-19-2023 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-19-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Is this true even with a medicare supplement plan? Could you elaborate a bit? I know this is getting away from the OT a bit, but certainly related.
I think it depends on if Medicare approves the medical treatment.

I have Medicare and supplemental insurance. Supplemental kicks in only for Medicare approved procedures.

Last year, I had cataract surgery in both eyes. Medicare only covered the single focus lens, not the multifocal lens. Also, Medicare did not cover laser surgery. According to what I read, laser surgery is better, recovery is faster. I wanted the multifocal lens. So we paid $6K for the laser surgery and multifocal lens.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:02 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
A really cheap thing I do is to install screen door handles in the door frame between the screen and storm door on the doors you use to enter and exit your home if you have a step up to get in. Too many people try to grab the inside door moulding and pull themselves in, but with arthritis your finger strength really weakens.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:10 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Assess your ability to continue diriving if need be. Where I live, there's no Uber or such. I consider driving a major question about staying where I am.
YES! You can fix up your house with a million senior upgrades, but if you don't consider the fact that you need to drive everywhere once you get OUTSIDE your house, it's all for nothing.

We moved to a small town famous for walkability. Ha! The nearest grocery store was on the bypass outside of town. Yes, we could walk to the doctor, the drug store, the dentist, the church, the library, and to other small shops, but people need to eat. No Uber in this town, either, and the one taxi that was researched and called had given up business and wasn't answering the phone anymore.

And 90% of older folks do get so they shouldn't be driving anymore. Think about it.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:25 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
OP,

Something to consider in your hopeful future.
Prepare for astronomical medical bills even with medicare. Be cautious with your money.

You said you have 2 step stairs. I recommend to install railing and slip guards on them just the same.
Subscribe to a "I've fallen and can't get up" service.

I agree with the others in this thread. Remove carpet. Wheelchairs and walkers don't wheel around very well on it. Makes it harder to push through. But un-carpeted floors can be slippery so there is a slip and fall hazard trade-off. Often recommended for seniors, are anti-slip rubber floors (in sheets or tiles) for residential use. Even when wet they aren't slippery.

Sounds like you have everything pretty well in hand otherwise. Enjoy your old age at home.
I don’t know what you are referring to about astronomical medical bills with Medicare. Both dh and I have had multiple surgeries and hospital stays and the out of pocket has been a few co pays of $20. and the annual Medicare deductible of under $200. We pay about $200. a month for both of us for a Plan N supplemental.

The only big expense we’ve ever had on Medicare is for at home intravenous antibiotics, which for some reason wasn’t covered. If we chose to go to the hospital every day, it would have been covered.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:38 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,567,852 times
I agree about the taller 'comfort' height toilets! I can't believe I waited this long to install them. They are soooo much more comfortable than the low regular toilets.

If you have issues with your bowels you can always use a step stool or squatty potty!

Old 02-19-2023, 08:30 PM

1,204 posts, read 934,432 times
A couple thoughts - we installed a shower that was barrier free, meaning not even that low edge to step over. On a wet floor, and with bad knees, even a little ledge is treacherous. Have a movable round shower stool inside, and both a shower head and a handheld.

My mother in her nineties needed help moving around. She kept a regular rollator with a seat outside, fastened to a post with a bungee cord. But for inside she had this nifty three wheeled rollator. The handles could easily push in when you needed to get through a doorway or tight indoor space. Someone who needs more stability maybe couldn’t manage with this, but if you just need a little balance help, it’s a great little indoor tool. No need to worry about widening doorways.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
A couple thoughts - we installed a shower that was barrier free, meaning not even that low edge to step over. On a wet floor, and with bad knees, even a little ledge is treacherous. Have a movable round shower stool inside, and both a shower head and a handheld.

My mother in her nineties needed help moving around. She kept a regular rollator with a seat outside, fastened to a post with a bungee cord. But for inside she had this nifty three wheeled rollator. The handles could easily push in when you needed to get through a doorway or tight indoor space. Someone who needs more stability maybe couldn’t manage with this, but if you just need a little balance help, it’s a great little indoor tool. No need to worry about widening doorways.
I've seen those three wheeled collators and wondered about them. They would be ideal for carrying things from one room to the next, which is what I am often doing.

Can you put your full weight on them like a walker? Or are they more for balance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House