Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2023, 09:18 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, really, to complain about a filter that's $55 rather than $15 and only gets replaced every 6 months does seem relatively trivial in the big scheme of things.
Everything that is wrong with the world in one comment. Imagine just for a moment having a life so perfect that you take the time to actually write this. News flash: not everyone lives the same life that you do. Try to open your mind enough to grasp that concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2023, 10:06 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
From Waterdrop-

“The only difference between the XWFE and the XWF is a chip on the back of the XWFE filter, which the newer GE refrigerators "use radio frequency identification (RFID) to "talk" to the fridge. The chip is used to detect leaks and let the refrigerator know whether it’s a genuine factory product or not.”

So, the filter won’t talk to the fridge- what’s more important, filtered water, or a filter that can’t “talk”?
If I wanted a fridge that could communicate, I’d want it to say “hey dumbaz the mayo is on second shelf from the top behind the sauerkraut.”

Old 03-13-2023, 11:27 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
I totally understand what you're going through! I went through this several yrs ago myself. One thing after another with a new house.

$55 for a filter is outrageous. I assume you saw the post on the prior page where someone tells you the only difference between the cheap and pricey filter is a chip on the pricey one that is not needed for a filter to actually do its job of filtering. So you can get the $15 filter. Yay!

I'd also look around for a generic filter next time.

As for GE, I have a GE side by side. I love it. But I don't use the ice/water feature so don't use the filter. (I need the space in the freezer's ice bin, so I gave up the ice/water. I guess I could use the water, but a Brita pitcher works fine.

Keep your chin up about the house. It gets better, as you deal with the money pit issue by issue.

Old 03-13-2023, 11:35 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I'd question whether the water dispenser/icemaker in your fridge even NEEDS a filter. What do you think it's filtering out?

If you really need to filter this water, install a commercial inline filter in the water line, outside the fridge and in a place where you can conveniently access it. Most of these have replaceable elements. If the fridge requires this superduper filter to work, poke a hole in the one you've got, after you install the commercial inline one. I'd look at Graingers for the inline filter.
This is what we did. And I put in a huge filter on, so replacement was once a few years or when I got around to it. Filter was pretty cheap.
New place has a inrefrigerator filter that blinks at me to change-I just ignore it. We only use the ice dispenser feature. We have a Brita water filter pitcher, which we do change often because we use a lot of drinking water.

Old 03-14-2023, 04:25 AM

4,846 posts, read 2,665,246 times
I too used to hate to spend 50 bucks for a stupid filter for my GE fridge..but when the fridge stopped working at 3 years old, that was the end of that..the tech that came to look at it said the copper lines corroded from the hard well water we use (and we have a filtration system) and all the refrigerant gas leaked out..non-repairable..non replaceable..3 year old GE fridge is now junk only for scrap man..now I'm waiting to see if the 5 year extended warranty I purchased from the appliance company will cover the cost..no more GE for me...or Samsung..they're all junk I guess except the too expensive higher end models..

Old 03-14-2023, 07:06 AM

400 posts, read 526,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I totally understand what you're going through! I went through this several yrs ago myself. One thing after another with a new house.

$55 for a filter is outrageous. I assume you saw the post on the prior page where someone tells you the only difference between the cheap and pricey filter is a chip on the pricey one that is not needed for a filter to actually do its job of filtering. So you can get the $15 filter. Yay!

I'd also look around for a generic filter next time.

As for GE, I have a GE side by side. I love it. But I don't use the ice/water feature so don't use the filter. (I need the space in the freezer's ice bin, so I gave up the ice/water. I guess I could use the water, but a Brita pitcher works fine.

Keep your chin up about the house. It gets better, as you deal with the money pit issue by issue.

The water filter that is in there now hasn't been replaced since pre-pandemic early 2020. I never use the ice or the water from the refrigerator. This is not my house. I hate this place. I hate everything about it. The person who owned it passed away and because of Covid combined with failing health - could not do any maintenance on it for the last 3 years. They had enough money to own a house and spend $2000 or whatever this GE refrigerator cost. I never have and definitely don't now. Before having to deal with this disaster, I was lucky if I could afford to eat once a day. I don't know anything about any aspect of this entire house/ownership/maintenance/upkeep/expenses/red-tape/finances and the only reason I am involved it it now is so I can get rid of this place. But things are breaking faster than I can repair them and every tiny aspect of each project opens up more problems and setbacks.

Anyway, the "replace water filter" light has been going off for the last 2 years. I was concerned that neglecting it for this long - or longer - may cause damage to the catastrophically expensive refrigerator as a whole - which would be a lot worse than the already bad cost of the replacement filter. There are millions or generic XWF filters but apparently NO generic XWFE filters. Very annoying.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:34 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If I wanted a fridge that could communicate, I’d want it to say “hey dumbaz the mayo is on second shelf from the top behind the sauerkraut.”

But you would have to buy the refrigerator approved brand of mayo, ketchup, mustard, etc so they would talk to the fridge in the right dialect.

Or maybe we need a national standard kitchen appliance language environment (SKALE) which could then also build your grocery list and order things from the approved store and have them delivered before you run out.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:42 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
The water filter that is in there now hasn't been replaced since pre-pandemic early 2020. I never use the ice or the water from the refrigerator. This is not my house. I hate this place. I hate everything about it. The person who owned it passed away and because of Covid combined with failing health - could not do any maintenance on it for the last 3 years. They had enough money to own a house and spend $2000 or whatever this GE refrigerator cost. I never have and definitely don't now. Before having to deal with this disaster, I was lucky if I could afford to eat once a day. I don't know anything about any aspect of this entire house/ownership/maintenance/upkeep/expenses/red-tape/finances and the only reason I am involved it it now is so I can get rid of this place. But things are breaking faster than I can repair them and every tiny aspect of each project opens up more problems and setbacks.

Anyway, the "replace water filter" light has been going off for the last 2 years. I was concerned that neglecting it for this long - or longer - may cause damage to the catastrophically expensive refrigerator as a whole - which would be a lot worse than the already bad cost of the replacement filter. There are millions or generic XWF filters but apparently NO generic XWFE filters. Very annoying.
Take a little piece of electrical tape and cover the offending light.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
From Waterdrop-

“The only difference between the XWFE and the XWF is a chip on the back of the XWFE filter, which the newer GE refrigerators "use radio frequency identification (RFID) to "talk" to the fridge. The chip is used to detect leaks and let the refrigerator know whether it’s a genuine factory product or not.”

So, the filter won’t talk to the fridge- what’s more important, filtered water, or a filter that can’t “talk”?
Appliance makers are doing what printer makers did many years ago with ink cartridges and Keurig did with K-cups. These chips to verify genuine product is not for your benefit no matter how much they try to tell you so. It's to impede third-party manufacturers of consumable products, which is where the real profits are.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:53 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post

My "replace filter" light blinks sometimes. I can just press & hold it for a few seconds, and it resets. I read that in my user manual/instructions, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House