Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 04:52 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

If not for the requirement that it be on a permanent slab/foundation, one could park a travel trailer there and use the tanks. I could live that way quite happily,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2023, 06:06 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
60K is too much for a lot - but that is just me.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:01 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
I think Otter already knows the answer based on the title of the post.

Old 04-09-2023, 08:06 PM

7,485 posts, read 3,219,325 times
They always try to sell lots/land around here where there is no actual land and just cliff /hillside. And, it rains a ton so you know where that is eventually going... But, people build expensive homes on the cliffs because of the view. Once in a while one tumbles down (but, not often enough to stop the building).

There have been very few and far between buildable lots available for many years. Something like that with utilities and a level lot would go for $250k. Or, you might be able to get a 100 year old house on a lot for $400k.

Prices have really gone up remarkably. There is barely anything on the market built in 1995 or later at any price. If it's there it's only listed for a matter of hours or a couple of days. It's not a great time to buy houses or cars right now.

Old 04-09-2023, 09:09 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
60K is too much for a lot - but that is just me.

All depends where you are. Around here a 60k lot would raise suspicions because of the cheapness of the lot

Old 04-10-2023, 11:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Develop a plan.

Talk with as many people as possible who are knowledgeable about the various facets of your project.

Zoning, Planning, Road Department. Water. Sewer. Manufactured home builders. Bankers. Contractors (for site prep. foundation/slab etc.).

Examine your own personal situation. Do you have the time, money, patience, and resources to put up with a year's worth of aggravation like you have never experienced before?

Is it doable? Sure. Anything is doable with enough money and fortitude.

But do YOU have what it takes to put a project of this magnitude together, manage it to completion, and then get it sold...for a profit.

One thing that strikes me immediately is the "appeal of the lot is the view". Is someone who is going to live in a double wide going to care about the view; or put another way, is someone who cherishes the view going to live in a trailer?

Put together a solid business plan and bounce it off as many credible people as possible. You won't like some of the feedback, but it will open your eyes to the challenges, and opportunities for a noo-bee investor.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:03 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Develop a plan.

...opportunities for a "newb" investor.

There! I fixed it for ya!!

Old 04-11-2023, 11:32 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Sounds like a lot that isn't good for much other than pitching a tent on it occasionally. I would give it a hard pass.

Old 04-11-2023, 02:41 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Develop a plan.

Talk with as many people as possible who are knowledgeable about the various facets of your project.

Zoning, Planning, Road Department. Water. Sewer. Manufactured home builders. Bankers. Contractors (for site prep. foundation/slab etc.).

Examine your own personal situation. Do you have the time, money, patience, and resources to put up with a year's worth of aggravation like you have never experienced before?

Is it doable? Sure. Anything is doable with enough money and fortitude.

But do YOU have what it takes to put a project of this magnitude together, manage it to completion, and then get it sold...for a profit.

One thing that strikes me immediately is the "appeal of the lot is the view". Is someone who is going to live in a double wide going to care about the view; or put another way, is someone who cherishes the view going to live in a trailer?

Put together a solid business plan and bounce it off as many credible people as possible. You won't like some of the feedback, but it will open your eyes to the challenges, and opportunities for a noo-bee investor.

Well, two points here:

1. I thought the OP intended this for her own use. Although you raise a good point, if she builds it, and hooks it up, well, septic, etc. and then *could* not reasonably expect to sell it for a profit - arguably the project cost too much. The OP will very likely have to be the "project manager" even if she hires a contractor.

2. There are trailers, and then there are trailers. In a mild climate, even an old school "tin" trailer can be a decent place to live, or use it as an interim home while you build something "better" nearby on the same lot, then sell the trailer on if you wish. Can be better than paying rent. That and some newer "manufactured homes" are really quite nice - although your first sign that you are looking at one of these is the price ain't exactly cheap.

Old 04-11-2023, 04:53 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Yes, it would be for my own use; not to rent out or resell although you never know, and it's good to have options. I'm fine with a "trailer," and especially a new one; they're quite nice! The water and sewer question remains unanswered; I'll put a call in to Planning and Zoning to inquire about that. Why would they have approved it for SFH use without all the utilities available?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House