Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 05:25 PM

30,416 posts, read 21,228,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I have 5.5 acres and the carcass is on my property. Any home is not that close but I would not be surprised if at least one neighbor gets a whiff.. We are used to animals getting harvested by nature here so I dont think any issue..
Burn it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2023, 09:11 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,082,762 times
I'm surprised the vultures or other carrion birds have not yet started eating it. ALl part of nature.

Old 04-13-2023, 10:01 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,090,641 times
I would get a wildlife camera and record what comes to eat it. Could be interesting!

Old 04-13-2023, 10:01 AM

36,413 posts, read 16,023,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I'm surprised the vultures or other carrion birds have not yet started eating it. ALl part of nature.
Yes I was going to ask if there were buzzards circling the Elk, that you saw to alert you!

Old 04-13-2023, 03:57 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Yes I was going to ask if there were buzzards circling the Elk, that you saw to alert you!
Vultures are migratory. They might not be present in the area at this time of year. Some crows are as well. Ravens are usually year round residents.

Old 04-17-2023, 04:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Can you just blow it up? 3-4 sticks of dynamite would take care of the problem. You might need a permit though.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Can you just blow it up? 3-4 sticks of dynamite would take care of the problem. You might need a permit though.
Beware unintended consequences to dynamite. Obviously elk are smaller than whales, but there are some urban (rural?) legends about attempts to dynamite dead whales washing up on popular beaches. A classic one from OR:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploding_whale

My university mammalogy prof used to tell us stories about that one. Apparently, a chunk of the skull flattened an onlooker's VW Bug. Or maybe it was a chunk of the whale some crazy entrepreneur decided to haul back to his inland tourist trap/coffee house on a hired flatbed truck. The stinking carcass became a health hazard local authorities required him to dispose of. He resorted to dynamite in the middle of the night. It might have been his car...

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-18-2023 at 04:26 PM..

Old 04-18-2023, 04:11 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,249,778 times
An update one week later from the original post.

Still just flies that are harvesting the elk. We named the carcass Agnes since she may be around for a while.

So far, no real smell issue even though we are about 100 yards from Agnes. You can smell dead animal when you get close - like 50 ft or so. Spring is a bit windy here, that is helping with the smell. I keep meaning to call some wildlife office but have been busy with other things.

While I do like the idea of burning or blowing up the carcass (fun!! LOL), probably not practical. Blowing it up, I can imagine maggot "rain" at this point. Burying it might be an option but I would need permission to cross several lots with a bobcat or something like that which would likely be a pain. Lots of rocks make any manual digging difficult.

So.. Agnes is just hanging around being a fly factory. I wonder if the maggots help with the smell?

Old 04-18-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post

So.. Agnes is just hanging around being a fly factory. I wonder if the maggots help with the smell?
Eventually. They're busy transforming the stinky primary stuff into something else

Old 04-19-2023, 12:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,654,173 times
Here in Alaska, if a moose is walking around it belongs to the state. All kinds of regulations on who, when, and where they can be killed. If a moose is killed by a vehicle on the road, it still belongs to the state and they decide who is eligible to salvage the carcass for food.

However, if it falls over dead from natural causes in your yard - it belongs to you and you have to deal with it. Years back we had a bad winter in Anchorage and a fair amount of moose died of starvation. Many in people's yards. When they called Fish and Game they were told it was their problem now. Most of these carcasses were inedible by the time they were discovered and no longer had any food value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House