Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 06:40 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times

Advertisements

Could you pay a friend to take it to the laundry for you, or some enterprising young person in your neighborhood? (Vinegar in the rinse to help with smells)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2023, 07:13 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Could you pay a friend to take it to the laundry for you, or some enterprising young person in your neighborhood? (Vinegar in the rinse to help with smells)
great idea but its the drum of the already used machine.... I am very sensitive to all chemicals.. but thank you so much...

Old 04-17-2023, 08:34 AM

3,376 posts, read 1,971,971 times
Dizzy do you use a duvet cover on the duvet? That would cut down on the number of times the actual duvet needs to be washed and since the duvet covers are just two sheets sewn together they can be washed easily with your regular laundry.

Also, there are places that sell second hand appliances for a lot less than brand new ones. If you ever decide to buy a new one, go for a machine that doesn't have the big pole thingy in the middle. You can fit a larger load into one of those.

Can you put something in the tub that the duvet can hang over so the water can drip off and make it a little lighter? Maybe a plastic outdoor chair? Good luck.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:09 AM

204 posts, read 135,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
oh go and bile yer heid.you really are one piece of work... with no manners..
I'm just curious as to why you use the word "bint" as part of your CD name. Do you really think of yourself as a bint?

Old 04-17-2023, 02:03 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Turn the whole issue around and look at it from a different angle. Sounds as if the real problem here isn't washing the duvet but moving it. Hauling a heavy wet heap of laundry out to the garden shouldn't be that difficult, but lifting the weight of a wet duvet improperly can rip the internal baffles that prevent the insulation from shifting around if you aren't careful.

Idea one: If you don't have to deal with flights of stairs (but I'm sure you could manage it in a pinch), pile the sopping thing onto a sturdy smooth surfaced waterproof tarp and slide/drag it across the floor. A tarp that has grommets around the edge would make the chore easier. Run some rope through the grommets to create handle loops that help gather the edges together to form a loose bag, and pull it behind you.

Idea two: Load your wet duvet into a large plastic tote and drag that.

If you are concerned about drag marks on your floor, get a rolling flat topped cart to move the weight around.

Just some visuals to give you some ideas what to shop for:

https://www.uline.com/BL_4039/Poly-Tub-Cart

https://www.uline.com/Grp_322/Platform-Trucks

Some even fold up for storage when not in use.

You could always get a kiddie pool and wash the duvet out in the garden instead of in the tub.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-17-2023 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-17-2023, 02:09 PM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
In summer it might be easier to wash it outside in something like a swimming pool.

It sounds like similar issues I faced the one year I tried to wash horse blankets at home. Once wet, they were like trying to move a body! After that, I paid someone wash them. That's what I would now recommend. Someone with the right equipment to do a better job of it1

Old 04-17-2023, 04:25 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Wash it and rinse in the tub - let it drain.

After an hour start folding it in the bath- the best you can- in quarters or thirds - just try to get it folded orderly - improves water drainage;
there will be more water drained from the top to bottom;

Wait longer, rotate folded duvet? Or duvet cover? ( sometimes what Americans call duvet is misunderstood; on the Continent duvet is actually could be a cover for what Americans call a comforter)

You could squeeze more water out by pushing, stepping, etc.

If you own a steady laundry rack or high back chair which fits inside your bathtub- use it for hanging your balky item to let more water drain.

Now your clean laundry could be much lighter and easier to carry outside in the plastic tub or bucket if folded neatly to finish drying in the sun

The main issue is the weight of water in your item. Once it is mostly removed by gravity inside the tub - you will be able to carry it outside.

Is it stuffed with wool? So your duvet shouldn’t weigh more than 3- 3.5 kg total dry?
Let most of the water drain out - and you should be able to handle wet duvet or at least ask a strong neighbor to help you carry it out.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 04-17-2023 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-17-2023, 06:45 PM

6,873 posts, read 4,873,766 times
Buy or make a duvet cover so you can do less frequent washing of the duvet itself.

Old 04-17-2023, 06:49 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
In summer it might be easier to wash it outside in something like a swimming pool.

It sounds like similar issues I faced the one year I tried to wash horse blankets at home. Once wet, they were like trying to move a body! After that, I paid someone wash them. That's what I would now recommend. Someone with the right equipment to do a better job of it1

How do you know how hard it is to move a body? Is this part of the Real Estate Biz? LOL

Old 04-17-2023, 06:50 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
I buy my washer based on if it fits my comforters. That's my #1 concern when purchasing one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House