Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 09:57 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times

Advertisements

In the Looney Tunes cartoon, "Feed the Kitty" (Bulldog Marc Anthony & Pussyfoot), the Misses is shown getting her flour out of a pull open slot drawer, being next to one marked sugar.

Why don't we do it that way? Was it because they are impossible to keep clean? Too easy for pests to occupy? Some other cleaniness reason?

Or is it just that we don't bake like we once did.....long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 10:08 AM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Drawers like that were found in hoosier cabinets, popular from at least the 1920s. They fell out of favor when "fitted" kitchen cabinets became popular.

Back in those days, people were more likely to bake their own bread, rolls, etc, and have large families. They would buy 50 lb bags of flour, and needed a convenient way to store and access it.

Now, most people have small families, buy bread ready made, and flour comes in neat little 5lb bags that fit in the cupboard.

Check out hoosier cabinets. There were all kinds of accessories available, like built-in sifters...
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5b/8d/78/5...ge-cabinet.jpg
All that for only $33.75!

Old 04-19-2023, 10:24 AM

I have toyed with the idea of the 50 lb bag, due to its cost vs the 4-5 lb bag, but I have never cooked enough to make it worth while....though it would have one advantage.

Back when I was heavy into baking, I was never sure of the status of my flour supplies. It was so cheap and easy to say at the store, "Oh well, buy another!". Well, when I was moving out of that complex, I was finding bag after bag of flour. Maybe with the 50 lb bag, I would have a better idea of what my supplies were.

As it is, the only person I ever met who was buying 50lb bags was a rancher who "had ranch hands to feed".

Now, I bake more with corn meal than flour......and the former comes in only 2 lb bags. This week is an exception since I have divers in the water and I am making 3 or more batches of brownies. But even with that, 3 or so 5 lb bags on hand of flour will cover that adequately....and I use old coffee cans to store. Finally for the left over brownies, they don't come home with me.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:40 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
In the Looney Tunes cartoon, "Feed the Kitty" (Bulldog Marc Anthony & Pussyfoot), the Misses is shown getting her flour out of a pull open slot drawer, being next to one marked sugar.

Why don't we do it that way? Was it because they are impossible to keep clean? Too easy for pests to occupy? Some other cleaniness reason?

Or is it just that we don't bake like we once did.....long ago.
Real life doesn't resemble the life in cartoons, so there is no reason to think anyone would follow it. We have new and improved ways to store our stuff.
There are other TV programs to watch and learn, if you wish.

Great picture, steiconi!.
https://www.americancountryhomestore...osier-cabinets

Old 04-19-2023, 10:41 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,018,225 times
The people that I know who bake every single day will often times have one. Those who dont bake every day, dont. Its not hard to have one installed if you desire one.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:46 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I remember those bin drawers. They also were used on commercial popcorn machines. When there is a constant need, they are great, otherwise they take up space that could be put to better use and have pest issues. What do you do when you find mouse droppings in your thirty pounds of flour?

The old steel canister sets were much more useful, flour, sugar, coffee, etc.

I've been using plastic containers for flour and sugar that are just large enough for five pounds of flour. A problem I have is that I have bread flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, self-rising all purpose flour, semolina flour, yellow corn grits, masa, pastry flour, and more. A simple container labeled "flour" doesn't cut it.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:49 AM

Hoosier cabinets are no longer mass-produced. In the late 30s, demand for the cabinet style dropped as American kitchens shifted to layouts with built in cabinets. To help preserve its American legacy, the Hoosier Cabinet Museum was established.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
.........I've been using plastic containers for flour and sugar that are just large enough for five pounds of flour. A problem I have is that I have bread flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, self-rising all purpose flour, semolina flour, yellow corn grits, masa, pastry flour, and more. A simple container labeled "flour" doesn't cut it.
I have that same problem. These brownies I was making this week? The jar on the counter of a white flour? Is that regular flour, corn flour, or tortilla mix? Went with a new bag of flour for my divers.
Quote:
I remember those bin drawers. They also were used on commercial popcorn machines. When there is a constant need, they are great, otherwise they take up space that could be put to better use and have pest issues. What do you do when you find mouse droppings in your thirty pounds of flour?
SHRIEK!

Well, not quite, but I was not too happy to find a dead field mouse on the floor last week.......but happy in knowing what did him in.....CATS. But, as said, I have moved to Gamma Vittles vaults to contain my non active stores.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:

The old steel canister sets were much more useful, flour, sugar, coffee, etc.

I've been using plastic containers for flour and sugar that are just large enough for five pounds of flour. A problem I have is that I have bread flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, self-rising all purpose flour, semolina flour, yellow corn grits, masa, pastry flour, and more. A simple container labeled "flour" doesn't cut it.
Yeah. You probably need a custom made labels for each kind of flour.

Old 04-19-2023, 11:36 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,671,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Drawers like that were found in hoosier cabinets, popular from at least the 1920s. They fell out of favor when "fitted" kitchen cabinets became popular.

Back in those days, people were more likely to bake their own bread, rolls, etc, and have large families. They would buy 50 lb bags of flour, and needed a convenient way to store and access it.

Now, most people have small families, buy bread ready made, and flour comes in neat little 5lb bags that fit in the cupboard.

Check out hoosier cabinets. There were all kinds of accessories available, like built-in sifters...
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5b/8d/78/5...ge-cabinet.jpg
All that for only $33.75!

My grandmother had a cabinet with a flour bin like that. The crank sifted the flour. She baked every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House