Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 01:09 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
When did mugs and plate become so huge? I had to go online to fine more reasonable size coffee mugs. Most of the plates are like what use to be called serving platters. The overall diameter of saucers today are nearly the size of plates in the past. I miss those small size plate sets. We’re currently using one of those huge plate sets (gift from relative) but if we use the plates we only fill
I use current Fiesta as my everyday dishes. The square and round luncheon plates are what I reach for most often, because the dinner plates are 10 1/2 inches and often too big. Fiesta also makes a variety of mugs, from 10 oz. to 18 oz. I do like convenience of the larger mugs, but prefer the classic Fiesta look of the 10 oz mug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Every department store carries European china whichgenerally has the options of two size cups with saucers and mugs. You find inexpensive cups with saucers at places such as World Market, Tuesday Morning, HomeGoods. We use IKEA ones for espresso.
Vintage dishes also have a variety of plate, bowl, and cup sizes, but of course you often have to hunt to complete the set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And that’s when I discovered that the soup/cereal bowl is now in about 22 ounces.
I like the bigger bowls - Fiesta's Gusto Bowl and small Bistro Bowl are 24 and 22 ounces respectively, and leave plenty of room at the top to keep a cup of soup or chili from sloshing over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have a set of dishes made in CA in 1934-1940.
The glaze on those dishes is beautiful! Are they back stamped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 07:05 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I use current Fiesta as my everyday dishes. The square and round luncheon plates are what I reach for most often, because the dinner plates are 10 1/2 inches and often too big. Fiesta also makes a variety of mugs, from 10 oz. to 18 oz. I do like convenience of the larger mugs, but prefer the classic Fiesta look of the 10 oz mug.

Vintage dishes also have a variety of plate, bowl, and cup sizes, but of course you often have to hunt to complete the set.

I like the bigger bowls - Fiesta's Gusto Bowl and small Bistro Bowl are 24 and 22 ounces respectively, and leave plenty of room at the top to keep a cup of soup or chili from sloshing over.

The glaze on those dishes is beautiful! Are they back stamped?
They are stamped. They are Franciscan dinnerware from the El Patio line, manufactured by Gladding McBean.
I learned this is depression pottery, first manufactured in CA, then Fiesta copied the idea. Gladding McBean was the largest manufacturer of several in CA making this type of dinnerware. The idea was to produce an inexpensive dinnerware for everyday use which was bright and cheerful during the depression.

These are the jumbo cup, standard coffee cup, and after dinner coffee cup

These are the coffee servers. The coffee carafe with wood handle, standard coffee server and after dinner coffee server. There were also various sugar/creamers to go with these and matching trivets made for the coffee servers to sit on.

They are interesting and fun to use when company comes over, but they are my everyday dishes as well. They are the only set of dishes I have. People get a kick out of these when they see them for the first time, lol. I have an old house so these are a nice go-along. I was handed down several pieces many years ago and then just added on as I found more.

Last edited by marino760; 05-01-2023 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-04-2023, 06:03 AM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
They are stamped. They are Franciscan dinnerware from the El Patio line, manufactured by Gladding McBean.
I learned this is depression pottery, first manufactured in CA, then Fiesta copied the idea. Gladding McBean was the largest manufacturer of several in CA making this type of dinnerware. The idea was to produce an inexpensive dinnerware for everyday use which was bright and cheerful during the depression.

These are the jumbo cup, standard coffee cup, and after dinner coffee cup

These are the coffee servers. The coffee carafe with wood handle, standard coffee server and after dinner coffee server. There were also various sugar/creamers to go with these and matching trivets made for the coffee servers to sit on.

They are interesting and fun to use when company comes over, but they are my everyday dishes as well. They are the only set of dishes I have. People get a kick out of these when they see them for the first time, lol. I have an old house so these are a nice go-along. I was handed down several pieces many years ago and then just added on as I found more.
Back in early 2000 I bought a dinnerware set at a dollar store for less than $20. It had four of each; plates, saucers, bowls, and mugs. Except for the mugs, I used them regularly. They were of what I considered the traditional size. I liked the simple design of off white with a solid color line painted at the edge (black in this case but other colors were available). Got married and wife got rid of them because we received a set as a wedding gift (HUGE!). The outer rim of the plates are roughly 3 inches wide. We’ve had to overcome the idea of filling the plate and now only fill the center off white circle or less. Sometimes we use the saucers for dinner because of the size and how much we actually eat. We reserve those big mugs that came with the set for hot chocolate since the big size allows us to vigorously stir the hot chocolate without spilling.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:29 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Seems like that increase in portion size and plate size is mainly in restaurants. That's mainly to fool you into thinking you're getting a good value since they overcharge so much for the food. I haven't seen an increase in plate size for home use in the stores. Both of our kids just moved out on their own and there wasn't really any difference in plate size that we bought them than what my wife and I got years ago or with what my mother had when I was a kid.

Individual coffee mugs sold as gifts in the store are bigger than the cups included in a set, but then they are mugs and not cups. Mugs have always been bigger than cups. Some of these super big ones, esp insulated, available today are meant to be used for the entire day and not just a cup o' joe before work.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:00 AM

7,109 posts, read 4,830,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Have been shopping in stores for a replacement coffee mug for my wife who accidentally broke her favorite mug. When did mugs and plate become so huge? I had to go online to fine more reasonable size coffee mugs. Most of the plates are like what use to be called serving platters. The overall diameter of saucers today are nearly the size of plates in the past. I miss those small size plate sets. We’re currently using one of those huge plate sets (gift from relative) but if we use the plates we only fill the center area or we use the saucers. I’ve found companies online that still sell traditional diner coffee mugs like what I got in the ship’s store (US Navy ship mugs) and may order some as my daily mug to preserve my two ship’s mugs as collectibles. Our home was built in 73 and these plates take up nearly the whole shelf.
You can find older smaller mugs and such at thrifts and resale stores.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:42 PM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Wow, cool! It's always nice to be able to ID vintage dinnerware. I had a small set of Franciscan Starburst awhile ago, but wound up breaking them all.

Very collectible stuff! I'm envious (and my vintage Fiesta is saying "Aren't we enough for you?" LOL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House