Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times

Advertisements

I have always had a hard time getting wax out of candle holders when the candle stops burning. I would soak them in hot water and then some of the wax would go down the drain, well I just read to add a small amount of water in the holder and I did it and it works GREAT. When the candle goes out, the left over wax just slips out. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone else has this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 10:16 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I have always had a hard time getting wax out of candle holders when the candle stops burning. I would soak them in hot water and then some of the wax would go down the drain, well I just read to add a small amount of water in the holder and I did it and it works GREAT. When the candle goes out, the left over wax just slips out. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone else has this problem.
Freeze it!!! The wax contracts and pulls away from the glass and out it pops in one piece!

Old 01-06-2007, 07:07 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,161,374 times
Good info. Thanks guys. I always put mine on a lined cookie sheet and heated on the oven, but it doesn't get all the way out. I will try your ways. Again Thanks !

Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,618 times
I Love N.C. - you mean put the water in the bottom of the holder before you put the candle in?

That makes sense.

What I had a hard time with were the glass jar candles which come ready made. I tend to recycle a lot of things, and could not see throwing glass containers out the door. Now, I use the candle burner I have and when the scent is completely gone, I score the left over with a knife, pop out what I can (usually after it has been warmed that many times, it cleans easily) - then use hot water.

I have found so many uses for these jars - and have even filled them with candy and presents to give as gifts.

Wrapped 'melters', tea lights, a few shells or something 'blingy', a little ribbon - and viola'!

I know, too much time on my hands!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-06-2007, 09:20 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,099,804 times
Wow, what great tips! Thanks for posting, I hate having to clean out candle holders.

Old 01-06-2007, 09:26 AM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
I Love N.C. - you mean put the water in the bottom of the holder before you put the candle in?

That makes sense.

What I had a hard time with were the glass jar candles which come ready made. I tend to recycle a lot of things, and could not see throwing glass containers out the door. Now, I use the candle burner I have and when the scent is completely gone, I score the left over with a knife, pop out what I can (usually after it has been warmed that many times, it cleans easily) - then use hot water.

I have found so many uses for these jars - and have even filled them with candy and presents to give as gifts.

Wrapped 'melters', tea lights, a few shells or something 'blingy', a little ribbon - and viola'!

I know, too much time on my hands!

KimmieyKY
Yes, put the water in before you put your candle in. The freezing is good too, but it takes time for it to freeze, this way as soon as the candle goes out, the wax just slips out and you put another candle in, I love it. I was using the hot water, but I found out the wax can collect in your pipes and cause problems.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:22 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,130,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I was using the hot water, but I found out the wax can collect in your pipes and cause problems.
Thanks for the heads up on this. I use to use hot water to clean my tart warmer

Karla

Old 06-17-2011, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 18,472 times
I have accidentally spill wax from the candle on my glass coffee table and I have no idea how to clean it... I can't freeze it obviously . Anyone has any good suggestions ?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:14 AM

50,387 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I would use a plastic scraper to scrape it off and it shouldn't harm your glass.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:24 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwaK View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this. I use to use hot water to clean my tart warmer

Karla
I do too, but I've never heard it called that before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House