Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 10:41 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times

Advertisements

Electric pressure cooker, a.k.a. instant pot.

I use it to cook eggs--poached, boiled (so easy to peel!), or cupped, boil water for tea, cook veggies, make potato salad (you cook the spuds and eggs at the same time), make soup, and as a slow cooker.
It will even brown or sauté foods.
I recently came across a recipe for Eggs Benedict, where you poach the eggs, heat the Canadian bacon, and melt butter for the hollandaise all at once.
I'm sure I haven't discovered all the uses yet; there's a metal plate in the top that probably does something clever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 06:01 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I like this gadget for slicing cucumbers and potatoes:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has adjustable increments of slice size. You just need to watch your fingers; after one cut, I have been very wary when I get to the end of whatever veggy I am slicing.
Those mandolins can be very dangerous Here's the development cycle for them

Old 05-22-2023, 07:19 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Those mandolins can be very dangerous Here's the development cycle for them
At least with a guillotine the pain is short-lived. Those mandolin wounds keep reminding you for days what a careless idiot you were.

Old 05-22-2023, 07:26 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Probably everyone's favorite nontraditional kitchen gadget is the citrus zester. Did you know it started as a woodworking file to smooth wood? Some genius highjacked her husband's Microplane wood file from his workshop and used it to zest lemons. The trend caught on. The Microplane company then started a whole other sideline business, making dedicated "woodworking files" for the kitchen, a/k/a "zesters."
It also works well for garlic and ginger!

Old 05-22-2023, 07:29 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Curious if you think this gadget would be strong enough to grate horseradish?
Probably not because of the hand strength required but a zester does the trick nicely!

https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-46...857527711&th=1

Old 05-23-2023, 02:39 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Probably not because of the hand strength required but a zester does the trick nicely!

https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-46...857527711&th=1

I was trying it with ione of these: https://www.amazon.com/Microplane-38...5&sr=1-10&th=1

And it was awfully slow going, I wonder if a zester would be better?

Old 05-27-2023, 10:27 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
To be honest, I haven't seen an electric can opener on someone's countertop in years. My mom went over to using a Swingaway when the one that she received as a wedding gift died sometime in the mid-eighties. She and Dad were married in '65, so it had a good run.

My partner prefers to use the Kuhn Rikon type of manual opener that removes the entire top of the can, leaving the cut edges smooth while I prefer to live dangerously (i.e., sharp edges on both removed top and can! ) and use the Swingaway opener that I've had since my college days.

For those who have arthritis, electric can openers must be a godsend as even the OXO Good Grips manual openers are difficult to use for those who have major issues with using their hands.
I finally bought an electric can opener when our good manual ones wouldn't open all the way around some of the cans. Too frustrating to deal with and very happy to have the electric one.

For my non-traditional item, I say kitchen scissors. I use them for a million things, cutting all sorts of food as well as trimming houseplants and of course paper and food wraps. Lived with an Italian who used them for cutting pizza. And they work especially well for trimming extra fat off chicken.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:34 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times
Mine is our electric can opener that cuts around the outside rim. No dealing with sharp edges on the lid.

Old 05-27-2023, 10:58 AM

743 posts, read 875,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
At least with a guillotine the pain is short-lived. Those mandolin wounds keep reminding you for days what a careless idiot you were.
This made me laugh! In the restaurant with the newbies coming in we always cringed when they would pull out the mandoline. When I was in culinary school I think all of us had scars on our palms. Fun times!!

Old 05-27-2023, 11:24 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Lemon, orange and lime squeezers. I’m not as strong anymore, so squeezing the old fashioned way is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House