Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 03:18 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times

Advertisements

Mine is the Garlic Twist. I had been using a garlic press but they're not fun to clean and feel a third squirts out the sides or is left inside to be cleaned out. The Twist is easy to clean, I swish it out with water or olive oil depending upon what I'm cooking, and it's an easy hand wash or dishwasher-safe. I use a lot of garlic and after going to the already-chopped garlic in jars because of the labor involved with the press, appreciate having the full garlic flavor once again. https://www.amazon.com/stores/NexTre...9?ref_=ast_bln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 03:57 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Mine is the Garlic Twist. I had been using a garlic press but they're not fun to clean and feel a third squirts out the sides or is left inside to be cleaned out. The Twist is easy to clean, I swish it out with water or olive oil depending upon what I'm cooking, and it's an easy hand wash or dishwasher-safe. I use a lot of garlic and after going to the already-chopped garlic in jars because of the labor involved with the press, appreciate having the full garlic flavor once again. https://www.amazon.com/stores/NexTre...9?ref_=ast_bln
OMG, I love this gadget! It made my most-hated cooking prep chore so easy. It's a game changer. Mine is pink. Thanks for the tip on swishing it out, I've been using a tiny brush and your idea is better.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:11 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,580,425 times
That looks really cool, I hate dealing with garlic.

Old 05-20-2023, 05:33 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I liked the tuna strainer in the past before I started buying a brand that opens like soda can.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:16 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I also love my self-sharpening knife block. It's wonderful to pull out a freshly re-sharpened knife every time.

Old 05-20-2023, 07:29 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Utility knife. Aka petty knife. Saw it on ATK and it's become one of my favorite, most used knives. It's smaller than a chef knife, so it fits better in my relatively small hands. Still need the chef knife, but this thing is great.

Old 05-21-2023, 05:20 AM

936 posts, read 824,492 times
Probably everyone's favorite nontraditional kitchen gadget is the citrus zester. Did you know it started as a woodworking file to smooth wood? Some genius highjacked her husband's Microplane wood file from his workshop and used it to zest lemons. The trend caught on. The Microplane company then started a whole other sideline business, making dedicated "woodworking files" for the kitchen, a/k/a "zesters."

Old 05-21-2023, 07:25 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
Julia Child had a blow-torch, for roasting bell-peppers. I just use the gas ring, but it can be a problem in an electric kitchen. I tried a blowtorch, but I guess I lacked the technique.

If you don't know about this, hold a bellpepper with a fork, right in the hottest flame. The skin will blacken, peel off easily like burnt paper, and the peppers scrumptious. Very mellow in a summer salad, or as a veg side.

======

When I wore out my wood pepper-grinder, I just poured pepper-corns between the folds of a dish-towel, hammered away at them with a claw-hammer until the desired fineness, and tossed them in the pot. Great for crushed peanuts, too.

Last edited by arr430; 05-21-2023 at 07:36 AM..

Old 05-21-2023, 07:35 AM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
The only non-traditional kitchen gadget I have is a Nutri Ninja Pro personal blender, which has this inverted vessel. It works well and makes some nice smoothies and juices that you can drink right from the vessel when you flip it back over - that's to me the main advantage over a traditional blender - less cleanup. Still, I am not found of taking machines apart, cleaning them, letting them dry and then reassembling them. I used it for awhile when I first got it to explore it... and yes, a smoothie made with yogurt and fresh fruit, even frozen fruit is definitely good :-). But it's been gathering dust for the past year - I am lazy and hate extra cleanup chores - I'll just throw my fruit in the yogurt in my serving bowl - it's not a smoothie, but it's simpler and easier and still good too. :-)

Old 05-21-2023, 08:04 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
I don't know if it's considered non-traditional these days, but I think so, since most people don't use them now. I use a manual can opener, not an electric one. I buy the good ones (my current one is a Kitchen-Aid). It's easy to use, fast, and I keep it in a drawer, so fewer things on the counter. They also last longer than the electric ones, so saves money in the long run. It's a win-win for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House