Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 11:27 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,385,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Removing the fake shutters that were not sized right for the windows was one of the best things we did for our exterior.
We chose to NOT replace them and the house looked so much better! Seriously.
However, we DID replace the siding, so I am of no help in that regard.
Best of luck with your project!
Same here. We had vinyl siding above brick and shutters on every window. Took ALL the vinyl siding and shutters off and replaced with Hardie plank siding. No shutters. The house looks much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 04:36 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Two things to consider beforehand:

1. Will you be voiding any warranty for the siding?

2. If you have an HOA, are you allowed to remove them from the side and back of house? If you're changing color, is that acceptable? Essentially, if you live in an HOA, get it in writing; submit the changes to the architectural committee for approval before doing anything.

(Please do not derail this thread with discussions and comments about "evil HOA's).

No HOA, and no warranty that I know of on the 25 yr old siding.

Old 05-26-2023, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
This is the best choice I’ve ever run across-

https://www.whynotvinyl.com/1_4_Viny...p/39-20420.htm

There’s generally a color that is close enough- push right in, done! And no caulk!

Thank you; I don't know why it won't let me rep you, but thanks.

So if not these, I would use caulk?

Old 05-26-2023, 05:04 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
All I know is, Thank you for helping to stamp out stupid looking, incorrect, shutters. It’s a thing that needs to go away.

Old 05-26-2023, 05:19 PM

Agreed, but the house was built 25 years ago and came with them, so they don't have the newer wide window frames. I think I'll take one off in the back and see how it goes.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:23 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Agreed, but the house was built 25 years ago and came with them, so they don't have the newer wide window frames. I think I'll take one off in the back and see how it goes.
My daughter has a 100+ year old 4 square house. Siding and shutters were added at some point in the past. If she removes them it will leave a ghost of where they were, so she’s stuck unless she can replace the siding of paint it.

When we bought our brick house, it had cheap plastic shutters. Those came down so fast it would make your head spin. Fortunately, dh had the skills to make some board and batten shutters that are appropriately sized and actually close when a hurricane is coming.

One time, we had a native Georgian guy from the electric company out to locate the wires before we dug. He looked at our shutters incredulously, and said, “You mean you can just close these if there is a hurricane?” Duh. It’s not only about that though. The aesthetics of 2 narrow vinyl strips on either side of a window is just so out of balance that I don’t get why everybody doesn’t see it.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:09 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Perhaps consider replacing them with proper sized shutters that are functional? They make some nice-looking hardware that holds them open.

Old 05-27-2023, 01:29 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My daughter has a 100+ year old 4 square house. Siding and shutters were added at some point in the past. If she removes them it will leave a ghost of where they were, so she’s stuck unless she can replace the siding of paint it.

When we bought our brick house, it had cheap plastic shutters. Those came down so fast it would make your head spin. Fortunately, dh had the skills to make some board and batten shutters that are appropriately sized and actually close when a hurricane is coming.

One time, we had a native Georgian guy from the electric company out to locate the wires before we dug. He looked at our shutters incredulously, and said, “You mean you can just close these if there is a hurricane?” Duh. It’s not only about that though. The aesthetics of 2 narrow vinyl strips on either side of a window is just so out of balance that I don’t get why everybody doesn’t see it.
I like this guys style advice for old houses, many design principles seem to have been forgotten in modern houses.

Here is what he has to say about shutters…

https://www.oldhouseguy.com/all-about-shutters/

Old 06-02-2023, 08:04 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
The only place you will find strong opinions regarding vinyl shutters is on this forum or architectural shaming groups that exist in other places. Most people don't care and won't even notice. Bottom line is: Will your house look better with or without them? In my opinion - many homes look worst without them.

If you have non-existent (some windows just have a channel around them) trim detail around your windows - your house will look worst without them.

If your house is already vinyl sided - add appropriately sized shutters. You aren't going to fool anyone into thinking they are real or functional, and 9/10 people don't care.

In my opinion it looks worst to remove them and have very obvious plugged up holes or shadows of where the shutters used to be.

Adding functional shutters to a house that is vinyl sided - You can do anything you want, but why bother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House