Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 12:54 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times

Advertisements

If this is a Master Bathroom I do not think a bathtub is necessary any longer. As long as there is one bathtub in one of the bathrooms that is all that is required (most people want a bathtub for their kids). What is better is a nice walk in shower in the Master Bathroom. If it were me and I did not want to rebuild the space with a larger walk in shower or larger counter and cabinet space I would take that thing out and put a clawfoot tub in (or other tub where you get in and can fill water up to your neck).

I believe there was another thread on this subject (not sure if it was the same OP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2023, 02:33 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
If this is a Master Bathroom I do not think a bathtub is necessary any longer. As long as there is one bathtub in one of the bathrooms that is all that is required (most people want a bathtub for their kids). What is better is a nice walk in shower in the Master Bathroom. If it were me and I did not want to rebuild the space with a larger walk in shower or larger counter and cabinet space I would take that thing out and put a clawfoot tub in (or other tub where you get in and can fill water up to your neck).

I believe there was another thread on this subject (not sure if it was the same OP).
I’m actually taking the bathtub out of my upstairs bathroom, and putting in a shower. I don’t use bathtubs at all. In my opinion, this house is not good for children, the only people who were looking at it were oldsters like me. So if the next buyer in 15 or 20 years decides that she wants a tub she can put it in. By then it’ll need a remodel anyway.

But, there is an alternative to a jetted tub. Instead of water coming through and then creating the issues with mold, there are bubble tubs. They shoot air the bubbles up.

https://www.jacuzzi.com/en-us/bathro...BoCLrQQAvD_BwE

Old 06-11-2023, 02:36 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I replaced what looked at first glance like a "regular" sized jetted tub with non-jetted once. The house had an older style on-demand boiler system. It didn't play well with the whole soaker/hot tub concept. By the time the tub filled deep enough to cover the jets, the water was tepid. Not very enjoyable!

Be aware that even though the length of the two tubs may be close to or equal, the width (measurement across the tub from back to front) may not. My new non-jetted "regular" sized tub was narrower than the original, so it left 2-3" of exposed subflooring all along the front edge that needed to be covered. The home's previous owners didn't leave any of the original flooring and I couldn't find anything compatible locally.

Replacing the tub may only be part of the project. Be sure to measure and plan accordingly!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-11-2023 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-11-2023, 02:37 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
We have an oversize tub which I love. I would never get jetted (though I would enjoy it), too many things that could break, hard to clean and cleaning is super important so it doesn't grow bacteria and stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-11-2023, 03:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,408 times
I definitely wouldn't put in a plain bathtub. Even though everyone disagrees, I would get a jetted tub or the one that bubbles from below. You should create a spa-like atmosphere in the master bathroom.

Old 06-11-2023, 05:41 PM

817 posts, read 921,679 times
We have jets in one of our tubs. Nice to use on a weekend when we have time but we use the shower 95% of the time.

Old 06-11-2023, 06:41 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Our Masterbath came with a jetted tub but we got rid of it when we did a remodel. Reality was it drained the hot water tank just to fill it and the water didn't stay hot very long. The biggest use it got was the kids like to play in it occasionally when little. Bubble baths. What a pain to clean up after. It was too deep and too wide to clean easily so it just morphed into a clutter catcher. If I could afford it, I'd go with a big curb less shower.

Old 06-11-2023, 07:41 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
We moved into our house when it was new 18 years ago. The MBR had a regular sized-jetted tub. About ten years ago, rats got into the outside mechanism and destroyed it. Since replacing it involved making holes in walls, etc. I just left it, not being a regular bathtub user anyway.

If we sell the house in a year or two, something needs to be done about the tub. If I leave it alone, a non-working jetted tub won't look great for a potential buyer. I could replace it with a plain, regular-sized tub which may solve the problem, unless a buyer would expect a fancy tub.

The house would probably go on the market in the mid-700s. Do people expect a jetted tub in that price range or can I get away with just a nice, new plain bathtub?

Our house has a jetted tub. We've lived in the house over 30 years and have used it in jet mode maybe 10 times. When the house was built, it was the thing to do. Don't know about houses now.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
We moved into our house when it was new 18 years ago. The MBR had a regular sized-jetted tub. About ten years ago, rats got into the outside mechanism and destroyed it.

The house would probably go on the market in the mid-700s. Do people expect a jetted tub in that price range or can I get away with just a nice, new plain bathtub?

Mid 700's? With rats? Ugh.

Depends on the age you are aiming the sale at. Old people never use regular tubs because they can't get in & out. If you already have a shower, get a walk in tub. Many are jetted and there are some that are relatively deep. In that price range I'd expect something upscale.

Old 06-11-2023, 09:37 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I’m actually taking the bathtub out of my upstairs bathroom, and putting in a shower. I don’t use bathtubs at all. In my opinion, this house is not good for children, the only people who were looking at it were oldsters like me. So if the next buyer in 15 or 20 years decides that she wants a tub she can put it in. By then it’ll need a remodel anyway.

But, there is an alternative to a jetted tub. Instead of water coming through and then creating the issues with mold, there are bubble tubs. They shoot air the bubbles up.

https://www.jacuzzi.com/en-us/bathro...BoCLrQQAvD_BwE
I have a 3 br 2 ba house and it is good for resale to keep a bathtub in the second bathroom.

My master bath just had a shower. I had that tiled in. I had the garbage tub taken out of my guest bathroom and put a Kohler cast iron (regular tub that is not plastic and that holds the heat).

Give me a good Epsom Salts or Dead Sea Salt Soak once in a while (especially during cold weather). But, it does not have to be in the master imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House