Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 02:02 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,281,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Is it time to replace our hot water heater do you think? It's acting wonky.

In the last week, the heater suddenly put out scalding water. My husband turned down the setting.

That worked for a day or so. Then there was no hot water at all--only tepid--and the breaker had tripped.

After it was turned back on, we've been getting hot water as per normal for the past day or so, but are wondering if the heater is dying?

It's about 14 years old and we have hard water.

Time to replace? It's an electric hwh...
oh yes.

Ours is basically every ten years. But it is gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 02:23 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
So, what water heater are you buying?
I am interested, because I might need one too. Mine is 35+ years old, and while still working fine, I need to have Plan B.

Ugh... I just notice it. You want electric and l need gas ..

Old 07-06-2023, 03:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
Good move,why take a chance on a 14 years old water heater, wait til it starts leaking and the ceiling collapsed

Old 07-06-2023, 03:17 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
My sister and BIL just replaced their home's original 23 year old water heater Knowing them like I do, I know it didn't have an easy life!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-06-2023 at 03:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2023, 03:37 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,482,549 times
If a new water heater doesn't solve your problem, replace the mixing valve. Mine went haywire when I was in the shower and gave me a dose of scalding hot water.

Old 07-06-2023, 06:02 PM

7,135 posts, read 12,675,471 times
The plumber is replacing with the same brand that we had--a Rheem. Six year warranty. Used to ten years...

Old 07-07-2023, 06:52 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
So, what water heater are you buying?
I am interested, because I might need one too. Mine is 35+ years old, and while still working fine, I need to have Plan B.

Ugh... I just notice it. You want electric and l need gas ..
We've been really happy with our Rinnai tankless units. We had one in the kitchen closet that replaced the old tank unit and freed up a lot more storage space. The second one is an outside unit on the back wall of the house that was installed when we remodeled the kitchen and took out the old closet. Unlimited hot water, and no gas use when we aren't using hot water. The only minor negative is they do require a power connection for the internal computer and the gas ignitor. I am thinking about looking for a way to power the water heater from a battery and invertor.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:32 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We've been really happy with our Rinnai tankless units. We had one in the kitchen closet that replaced the old tank unit and freed up a lot more storage space. The second one is an outside unit on the back wall of the house that was installed when we remodeled the kitchen and took out the old closet. Unlimited hot water, and no gas use when we aren't using hot water. The only minor negative is they do require a power connection for the internal computer and the gas ignitor. I am thinking about looking for a way to power the water heater from a battery and invertor.

But the OP is looking for electric. Several plumbers I know will not install electric tankless units. One will but only if you sign a disclaimer saying that he explained to you the history of problems and went against his advice and did it anyway.

Old 07-07-2023, 09:48 AM

19,134 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yep, you're on borrowed time. (Put in 50 gal, this time.)
+1, on both points.
I would add that I replace my water heater on a proactive basis, about every 12 years. Yes, it's possible that I might get a few more years out of the old one, but I find it much more convenient to do things on my own schedule, rather than having to deal with plumbers who might--or might not--be available if my water heater decides to quit unexpectedly.

Old 07-07-2023, 10:38 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I sure wish we could install a 50 gallon one! Our WATER HEATER is in a supply closet outside the house. It's the only place for it--no basement/garage.

So we're stuck with a "shorty" of 38 gallons. Cannot go taller/wider due to dimensions of supply closet. It works for the two of us. Can't imagine it serving a family with a couple of kids...

But to use a terms that I/you will hate: "It is what it is."

PS I've enjoyed the discussion of "hot water heater" though. Never thought about the term quite that way before. The other day, with no hot water issuing forth, I guess we could have called it a "un-hot water heater." Oh well, off to make a tuna sandwich she says, chuckling
LD- Just so you know, water heaters may come in different gallon sizes, but the percentage of “hot” water they deliver, remains constant. That constant is 55%. Doesn’t matter if it’s oil fired/nat. gas/electric or nuke, the 55% applies to all of them. This happens due to the cool/cold water replacing the hot water that you demand. (Cold goes in as hot comes out.)
So, your 38 gallon heater, delivers about 21 gallons of “hot” water.

I sure hope that sandwich is made of albacore tuna with sweet relish!

On sourdough, ofc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House