Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2023, 01:36 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,714,134 times

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas and the water is very hard. I was told to drain and flush my water heater every six months, it will extend the life of the water heater. You should see the sediment that comes out of it, it's gross. I replaced the anode last year, they don't last long here either. Plumbers suggest switching to tankless but they are expensive and you have to maintain them too. It's going to require a lot of work to go tankless, the gas line is not big enough and the gas main is on the opposite side of the house. Not sure what I'll do when I need a new water heater. The house was built in 2017. Grrr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2023, 03:10 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Not sure what I'll do when I need a new water heater.

That's easy! Replace like for like- DONE! Go enjoy a beer!

Old 07-07-2023, 03:23 PM

1,629 posts, read 1,714,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
That's easy! Replace like for like- DONE! Go enjoy a beer!
$1,300 for a new water heater vs $8,000 to put in a tankless water heater and redo the gas and water lines. Easy choice. The first plumber was trying to get me to put in a tankless heater even after discussing the work required and cost. After listening to his sales pitch for way too long, I finally told him to leave and called a different company.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:00 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
New water heater is in, hot water is once ours again! Long may it flow.

Plumber and helper did a nice job. They showed us all the gunky sediment that came out of our old heater. Pretty yucky.

PS tuna sandwich was on Neomonde seeded whole grain bread and I mixed the tuna with some wasabi, mustard, minced red onion and a bit of low fat mayo. Forgot the relish--sorry! But I did add some home-grown tomato slices so hope you'll forgive me...

Old 07-09-2023, 11:56 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
PS tuna sandwich was on Neomonde seeded whole grain bread and I mixed the tuna with some wasabi, mustard, minced red onion and a bit of low fat mayo. Forgot the relish--sorry! But I did add some home-grown tomato slices so hope you'll forgive me...

Oh! Like damn, I'm hungry!!!
Some fresh iced tea and I'm there!

Old 07-13-2023, 11:22 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:

Sounds like a wonderful meal. Enjoy!

Old 07-13-2023, 08:43 PM

7,779 posts, read 6,392,491 times
CR published a chart that said the life expectancy of a water heater is 10 years. After we moved into our condo I found documents that said ours was 17 years old. I decided to replace it before it became a problem. Theyare man made.

In one previous house I installed a timer that shut the water heater off at night and started it up in the morning before we got up. that worked well and saved a bit on the power bill.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:02 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,385,293 times
Quote:
New water heater is in, hot water is once ours again! Long may it flow.

Plumber and helper did a nice job. They showed us all the gunky sediment that came out of our old heater. Pretty yucky.

Be sure to flush new waterheater annually to prevent sediment buildup.

I like putting some diced-up pickled jalapeno in my tuna sandwich/salad sometimes to give it a little kick!

Old 07-14-2023, 11:32 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
CR published a chart that said the life expectancy of a water heater is 10 years. After we moved into our condo I found documents that said ours was 17 years old. I decided to replace it before it became a problem. Theyare man made.

In one previous house I installed a timer that shut the water heater off at night and started it up in the morning before we got up. that worked well and saved a bit on the power bill.
For electric tank water heaters, that is actually not so good. In order to prevent growth of bacteria (legionella that causes Legionnaire's disease) in the hot water heater tank, the water needs to stay heated at or above 120F.

Old 07-14-2023, 12:26 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

Be sure to flush new waterheater annually to prevent sediment buildup.

I like putting some diced-up pickled jalapeno in my tuna sandwich/salad sometimes to give it a little kick!

Agreed. most people do not drain their HWH or replace the sacrificial rod. If you do those two things, you can almost certainly get more than 10 years and.. Possibly MUCH more than 10 years. I've never quite understood.. I can never find the sacrifical rods at Lowe's or Home Depot. You can get them online, but.. You'd think these would be more available.

I certainly hope, if they didn't already have a drain pan under the HWH, they had the plumber install one. When I bought my house, I didn't think about the HWH at all.. Until it leaked and I had to replace flooring.

And.. That's the best thing for Tuna.. See if you can find CANDIED Jalapeno. That's rpetty good, too, just to shake things up a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House