Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2023, 03:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl4U View Post
It really is a bad dilemma.

You could always use a clothes pin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 04:59 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
This does seem like a first world problem.

Wrap all the piping in the pipe insulation that looks like pool noodles, but first wrap those pool noodles in TWO layers of 6 mil plastic. Once that is done, spray the underside with Great-Stuf foam sealer. It'll expand, so be careful, but it will make a barrier that will contain the smell and make the sink even more sound deadening.

Why wrap the pipes? If you ever need to repair a joint or fixture, or replace a disposal, the foam noodles can be removed - because you used two layers of plastic so the great stuf doesn't stick to it and the plastic can slide against plastic, leaving the spray foam intact and the noodle in good enough shape to replace it in position once done.

Old 07-27-2023, 01:53 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl4U View Post
Thanks, Look4ward, for taking time with the thoughtful suggestions. --There's no moisture problem or mold. The source of the odor is definitely the sound-deadening material that was sprayed on the underside of the twin sinks. When you bring your nose close to the material, it knocks your brain for a look, it's so potent. Even if you hold your palm against it for a minute and then smell your palm, you find the odor on it. The material is a nearly stone-hard white granular material.

I tried to scrape some off at the beginning of this project. With a hammer and chisel with difficulty I could knock off a quarter to half an inch of area, but it looked like if I tried to continue this, I'd end up with dents in the sink tha would show up inside.

After a lot of research about sealing in odors, the Zinsser B.I.N. product looked like the best choice. It is, though, very unpleasant to apply: You have to wear a respirator, the manufacturer warns the fumes are toxic. Fortunately, it dries in about 45 minutes, total cure in a couple of days. -- But, unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem.

Your suggestion, K'ledgeBldr, to cut out the sink is probably going to be our last resort. I'd try contacting granite countertop installers to see if they can do this work, perhaps even lifting up the long granite panel (without breaking it?) to access the sink. We have a ”custom” kitchen, all remodeled, so hope to avoid a drop-in sink, but that may turn out to be the easiest solution.

The big problem with this is that the cut-out shape in the granite is a kind of ”free form” curved shape to match the ”designer” sink. So I don't know if we can even find another sink that will match the granite cut-out shape.

The granite countertop extends on three sides of the kitchen. So trying to match that would be a MAJOR $$ expense!

It really is a bad dilemma.
Try to contact Kindred again. I know it is out of warranty, but you don’t ask you don’t get.They say lifetime material warranty in the link I provide.
The fix is going to be expensive..

There are e-mail addresses in the link as well

I didn’t realize Kindred is an off-shoot of Franke

I have Franke sink and other items - it is going on more than 20 years now..no issues

https://www.kindred-sinkware.com/us/.../warranty.html

The person who just blew you off - “I don’t know” just an uninformed uninterested hourly customer service.

Even you bought it in Canada - they are in US. Deal with the US ones.
I have done that before with some items bought in Canada but issues resolved later in US

Escalate and be persistent - call different numbers, ask for supervisor, write, talk to your dealer, etc: they know what they used and what the remedy could be without you destroying your expensive kitchen

I just looked at my sink - there is still paper label attached to that grey pebbly undercoating with all kind of numbers - doesn’t recall that being a model number, date (of production?) and the size, bar code

See if you could find yours first - will be easier to get a pertinent information for just your specific sink - for a specific resolution

(Pardon for being stubborn in my recommendations but newspapers test as I described still could be telling if there is some imperceptible dampness lifting that undercoating and making a stink. Something has to trigger it - the water chemistry composition may have something to do with it? No matter how insignificant the dampness - it could perhaps do that, especially based on the type of water chemistry you have be it municipal, well, RO, softener?)

Curious if you could attach a photo of that intact undercoating next to the tiny part you were able to scrape?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-27-2023 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House