Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2023, 05:31 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone else on here has any experience with older vintage SubZero refrigerators.

We bought the house 6 years ago and it has an older SubZero 532 unit from 1989.
Its a built-in unit that was designed to fit in the space in the kitchen.

In the past week the refrigerator has gone out and is not cooling, the freezer side is fine. Basically have deteremined we have a leak somewhere in the refrigerator side. Got a tech out here and its about a $2500 repair to replace the whole sealed system soup to nuts.

I go back and forth on the repair vs. replace side.
A comparable replacement unit from SubZero is upwards of $12-15,000. That is a non-starter for us.
On the other hand the kitchen was specifically designed around this unit.

I just can't justify putting $3K in a 34 year old unit, knowing that while my refridgerator side is good for the next 5-10 years, my freezer side could go at any point.

Thinking going to just bit the bullet for a less costly unit that while doesn't look right in the space is more ecoomical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2023, 05:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
Just curious if anyone else on here has any experience with older vintage SubZero refrigerators.
1989 is NOT "vintage"

The whole point of buying Sub Zero (and similar high end) is because it WILL make sense to spend on a repair when needed ...
or an overdue rejuvenation by a later owner.

Old 08-02-2023, 05:47 PM

I am not following.....

I didn't put the SubZero in, I am just trying to figure out if its worth putting $3K in a 34 year old unit in a 100 year old house.

My initial thought is no but I'd like to be proven otherwise.

Old 08-02-2023, 06:08 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times
Quote:

In the past week the refrigerator has gone out and is not cooling, the freezer side is fine. Basically have deteremined we have a leak somewhere in the refrigerator side. Got a tech out here and its about a $2500 repair to replace the whole sealed system soup to nuts.

I go back and forth on the repair vs. replace side.
A comparable replacement unit from SubZero is upwards of $12-15,000. That is a non-starter for us.
On the other hand the kitchen was specifically designed around this unit.

I just can't justify putting $3K in a 34 year old unit, knowing that while my refridgerator side is good for the next 5-10 years, my freezer side could go at any point.

Thinking going to just bit the bullet for a less costly unit that while doesn't look right in the space is more ecoomical.
I would lean towards repair. If the repair would basically make the unit like new. Its going to nickel and dime you then I vote no. I would also get a quote on what it would cost to replace the freezer side "soup to nuts". Compare this cost to buying a new unit.

Also add in that a new fridge is going to look out of place since it wont fit the footprint of the SubZero. And then there the cost of a new fridge.

I am not familiar with SubZeros so I dont know their track records compared to new fridges but this one lasted for quite a while before it needed a repair.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:42 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Built-in Subz’s have two independent systems- one for the fridge, one for the freezer.

I question the “soup to nuts”- your fridge is the right age where the change over from R12 to R134 started. So, if you do have the “older” R12 system- replacing one unit with a newer R134 system, and keeping the other R12 system for an unknown period of time is probably not a good use of money and time. Granted, there are fridges out there that are 40,50+yrs old still running- but R12 refrigerant is almost completely gone…

R12 systems “can” be retro-fitted; but it’s not an easy job- and certainly not cheap! So what exactly is being done? Was the problem just low refrigerant, or has the compressor actually imploded?

I personally wouldn’t nickel&dime that fridge. If the box fits the kitchen, is in good nick, and has good insulation and seals, I’d do both systems at once- which should also come with a lengthy warranty. Or, start looking for a new fridge- there are other makes besides Subz’s that are “built-in”.

Old 08-02-2023, 07:47 PM

Compressor is running fine.....but the tech said they have to replace everything and won't do it piecemeal.
I question that, as they didn't even try to see where the leak was at.

I don't know what I don't know about refrigeration systems.

At the end of the day, my head is just saying this is a lot of $$ to through at 80's era tech.
Yeah good for another 5-10 years, but yeah.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:37 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Just buy a new Sub-Zero.
As the owner of one, that is what I would do.

Old 08-02-2023, 09:53 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
I’d buy a new fridge. With such an old unit there’s always the chance of something else failing, and that could be a problem that’s not repairable. Finding replacement parts for very old appliances can be a hit or miss proposition.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:14 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:

I had a sub-zero refrigerator from the early 90's where I live. A Sub Zero factory certified technician recommended not fixing it when it died.

I replaced it with a new modern refrigerator that I liked much much better. It did not fit that space exactly but I gained storage space on the top of the new refrigerator. I also began saving around $50/month in electricity cost after getting the new refrigerator.

I recommend buying a new refrigerator. You might be limited to "counter depth" models to fit the sub zero space.

Old 08-03-2023, 06:45 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
I didn't put the SubZero in...
But you bought a home, likely at a premium price too, BECAUSE the former owner cared
enough to install the higher quality appliances and likely twenty other design choices.

Quote:
I am just trying to figure out if its worth ...
My initial thought is no but I'd like to be proven otherwise.
That's a subjective question.
It comes down to how much you value the appliance itself and how it fit's in with the rest.
If you don't care about any of those subjective aspects... then tear it all out and start over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House