Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2023, 05:09 PM

948 posts, read 1,139,153 times

Advertisements

Closing on a property tomorrow, during final walk in inspection, found puddle of water trapped inside kitchen range hood filter compartment. Turned out there was heavy rain/storm the previous night and the water might have got in through the exterior vent pipe. Requested an appliance tech/roofer visit to analyze the range hood working /health condition. It might push down the closing date further.

Now the question, will the water entry affect the functionality/lifespan of the range hood considering there are electrical components involved inside? The unit is 1k+, so not sure if we should just suck it up and go forward with the closing or is it worth a repair credit? Now that we identified the drainage problem/improper vent install, chances are this might have happened in the past as well and could really affect the life of the unit. Also, there was puddle of water on one side of the stove below and one of the burners weren't lighting up as well due to pilot being wet maybe. How you guys move forward in this situation?

What's a reasonable credit to expect for this repair? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2023, 08:53 PM

860 posts, read 438,784 times
This happened after a new roof install where there was a leak around the vent above the built in microwave. Discovered when water was found in the microwave. Dried it, resealed the vent pipe and never had a single problem with the microwave which has more controls than a range hood. If it wasn’t damaged and the leak was sealed, I suspect it won’t affect it at all.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:27 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
There probably is no problem at all.

As you stated, there was “heavy rain storm”- there my have been extraordinary circumstances- winds, rains that exceeded 1”/hr., etc. and the flue got overwhelmed/was not designed to handle that type of exposure.

Since the water was “inside” the unit- I’ll put little emphasis on the roof leaking. Though it’s possible.

As for the hood’s operation- since it wasn’t in use at the time of the water intrusion, it probably hasn’t effected its performance at all. Obviously, it’s worth having someone take a look at the vent’s roof penetration (I’m assuming that’s where the exhaust exits) to make sure all appears to be in good nick. The vent/flue itself should have some type of hood/arrester that would shed water- hopefully it is there and in good condition also. If the vent exits through a wall- blowing rain can certainly make its way into the duct/flue. And if it’s not sealed/caulked well to the structure’s cladding- that could also be a means of water penetration.

As to your closing schedule- I’ll leave that to your personal discretion, and your agent’s advice. S/he will know better as to how to handle in your state.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Our exhaust vent has a one way flapper. Closes when not in use- opens when in use. We get high winds here quite a bit (on the Rocky Mountain front) and sometimes I can hear the flapper opening and shutting more than likely due to the turbulent air flow around the roof and its fixtures attached.

Quite probable the rain could have been pushed in because of the volume and velocity of the wind and made it past the flapper (if there is one). I wouldn't sweat it. At worst sealing around the flashing or installing a one way flapper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House