Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 10:56 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I won't buy them. For exactly the reason the OP gave: if the light burns out then instead of changing the light bulb, you need an electrician to replace the entire light fixture.

I have no faith in LED longevity. They don't last as long as the old incandescent bulbs. I've had a few that have lasted years and more than a few burn out in less than a year. The manufacturer of those light fixtures doesn't care if a year later, you are unhappy. They have no motivation to build a high quality product.
Yeah, I replaced all the incandescent bulbs with LEDs when I bought my house five years ago. They're going to last forever, and cost nothing to run, right?

I've had three fail so far.

I came across a YouTube that showed how to repair a failed LED bulb. Apparently, there are several tiny lights inside, and sometimes one fails. You can test to figure out which one failed, then bypass it with a bit of foil, then the rest will light.
I haven't tried it yet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 04:51 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I won't buy them. For exactly the reason the OP gave: if the light burns out then instead of changing the light bulb, you need an electrician to replace the entire light fixture.

I have no faith in LED longevity. They don't last as long as the old incandescent bulbs. I've had a few that have lasted years and more than a few burn out in less than a year. The manufacturer of those light fixtures doesn't care if a year later, you are unhappy. They have no motivation to build a high quality product.

I love the LED lights. I love the bright light to read by or to cook. However, I only have the LED lights where I can change the light bulb and don't have to replace the entire fixture.

What an improvement they are over the old loathsome curly bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
What is worse if you try to have matching fixtures in a room and one breaks and can't be found again. . . then you get to replace all of them or live with a not optimal look.

I have no problem with LED light, just get the color temperature you like best. However, I agree with the OP and others that I want a fixture that takes screw in bulbs. I've had more than one LED fail long before it was suppose to.

I bought a pair of LED porch lights from Costco with built in LEDs and installed them on either side of the front door. In less than a year one of them started to blink in cold weather. I went to Costco to get a new one and they didn't carry that style any more. So, I was looking at buying one and having things look stupid or buying two.

Turns out the problem was not the LED itself but the electronic driver. Through the power of the internet I found a replacement driver that was more robust and ordered two. I had to remove the fixture, disassemble it, replace the driver, reassemble the fixture, and then reinstall it. Six months later I had to do the same thing with the other fixture.

What a PITA. It would have been easy peasy to unscrew the bad bulb and put a new one in if the fixture had been built that way.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:26 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
How anyone holds the new fixture up close to the ceiling on a stepladder with one hand while twisting the wires from the ceiling box to the fixture wires and installing wire nuts with the other hand is beyond me. and then to hold it up to the box and install the screws to the box.
I'm not sure how people do brain surgery, myself, but somehow they do it every day.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:43 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
I bought 50 of these back in January 2016. I also installed proper LED dimmers on ever switch that controlled them. I have yet to replace a single one of these in 7+ years. They have been flawless, no humming, no flickering, no nothing but perfect. Mine are 3000k temperature (warm but white light), which goes great with table lamps at a softer 2800k temperature.

Sunco 24 Pack Retrofit LED Recessed Lighting 4 Inch, Selectable 3000K/4000K/5000K/6000K/6500K 50,000 Hour Lifetime, Dimmable Can Lights, Smooth Trim, 11W=90W, 660LM, UL Certified https://a.co/d/aTIttG7

Old 08-23-2023, 05:58 PM

21,827 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This is why I stick with cheaper traditional bulb screw in fixtures. They’re cheap to buy, easy to DIY install, and you replace the bulb to match your lighting needs or when it goes out.
Same.

We have one over the dining room table. It was an aesthetic consideration that wasn't on my part. Insanely expensive for a light fixture and integrated LED. I think in theory you can send it back to replace the LEDs (not cheap, about half the cost of the fixture) I do have to admit though, it's nice. I'd still have gone with a cheap fixture that uses replaceable bulbs though. Supposedly it'll last something like 20 years @ 8 hours a day which is a lot more than we use it. Then again, supposedly those lithium-ion smoke detectors last 10+ years and they always seem to crap out in a year or two for me as well.

Old 08-30-2023, 07:43 AM

292 posts, read 234,721 times
I know they are supposed to last forever, but when we did our kitchen remodel in our previous home (my daughter owns it now) we put in a bunch of bright white LED disk lights, supposedly good quality ones purchased at a lighting company. In the past 4 years, 3 of them have failed. Fortunately, they are pretty easy to replace (8-foot ceilings) and I have even taught my musician son-in-law how to replace them. I have similar ones in my current house, they haven't had any issues.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:13 AM

4,502 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Quote:
How anyone holds the new fixture up close to the ceiling on a stepladder with one hand while twisting the wires from the ceiling box to the fixture wires and installing wire nuts with the other hand is beyond me. and then to hold it up to the box and install the screws to the box.
Your arms get tired.

Next question?

Old 08-30-2023, 09:31 AM

292 posts, read 234,721 times
Quote:
Lots of workarounds for this. If the fixture is really heavy, think of what ceiling fan kits do. They frequently have an S-hook that will hold the fixture to the box or bracket while you do hookups. Also I once had a fixture that was almost impossible to get the screws in place to hold it up, so I built a deadman out of a couple of 2x4s to hold it up while I got the screws in place. You just have to think about it.

If all else fails, find a buddy to hold it up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House