Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2023, 08:31 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,423,253 times

Advertisements

You can't just replace a bulb you have to replace the whole thing including connecting the wires. Not easy, they're suppose to last a long time but still. The average person or old person like me would have to call a electrician or handyman, not cheap. But these kind of lights seem to be all thats available.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 10:04 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
I recently replaced most of the light fixtures in my house and ran into this. However, I found fixtures with "integrated LEDs" are not "all that's available". You need to read the product descriptions carefully to find fixtures with interchangeable/replaceable bulbs. They're out there.

Old 08-13-2023, 11:16 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
You can't just replace a bulb you have to replace the whole thing including connecting the wires. Not easy, they're suppose to last a long time but still. The average person or old person like me would have to call a electrician or handyman, not cheap. But these kind of lights seem to be all thats available.
What do you think?
This is why I stick with cheaper traditional bulb screw in fixtures. They’re cheap to buy, easy to DIY install, and you replace the bulb to match your lighting needs or when it goes out.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:24 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
What do you think?
I know there are other options out there.
I chose the LED fixtures. No bugs to clean out, no bulbs to buy/store, nothing to change (So, no ladders or stepstools). So far, so good!

Old 08-14-2023, 08:29 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I know there are other options out there.
I chose the LED fixtures. No bugs to clean out, no bulbs to buy/store, nothing to change (So, no ladders or stepstools). So far, so good!
I went with LED for ALL of our ceiling fans and a few other ceiling fixtures because the light is MUCH brighter. Huge difference.

That the bulbs don't need changing is a positive attribute - at our age, ladders are done. (Finding someone to change the air filters has become a quarterly challenge.)

That you can't replace the bulbs and need to buy a whole new fixture is a non-issue to us. By the time the thing breaks, it will be out of style, we will have moved or we will be dead.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:38 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
What do you think?
I'm with you in that I would rather be able to change a bulb than an entire fixture. Fortunately, in spite of your experience, there are still plenty of options out there for traditional fixtures. We only keep a couple of light fixtures in stock, but we have literally hundreds of options available from our hardware wholesaler.

Old 08-14-2023, 11:04 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I went with LED for ALL of our ceiling fans and a few other ceiling fixtures because the light is MUCH brighter. Huge difference.

That the bulbs don't need changing is a positive attribute - at our age, ladders are done. (Finding someone to change the air filters has become a quarterly challenge.)

That you can't replace the bulbs and need to buy a whole new fixture is a non-issue to us. By the time the thing breaks, it will be out of style, we will have moved or we will be dead.
My mom's home has one of those fans. The bulb blew out after 7 years. Sadly, she is dead, but now I have to replace the entire unit and it isn't a cheap fan. Not cool. Don't understand why the light had to be integrated. I'm sure the manufacturer knew it wasn't going to last even a decade.

Old 08-14-2023, 12:24 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
My mom's home has one of those fans. The bulb blew out after 7 years. Sadly, she is dead, but now I have to replace the entire unit and it isn't a cheap fan. Not cool. Don't understand why the light had to be integrated. I'm sure the manufacturer knew it wasn't going to last even a decade.

It’s called “built-in obsolescence”!

But, a lot of fan manufacturers are using a sort of “COB” type light- there are generic type replacements- so the whole fan (or light fixture) maynot have to be replaced.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:14 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
I bought a regular ceiling fixture and used LED bulbs. When they burn out, I can replace the bulb if I want to keep the fixture.

Lots of ceiling fixtures that accept an LED bulb. You pick the size/color/temperature. Easy to replace.

For example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Maxax-Ra...531386#overlay

Old 08-14-2023, 02:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,654,521 times
Quote:
What do you think?
I ran into this problem. I bought LED bulbs to replace fluorescent bulbs. I removed the ballast, replaced the tombstones, and all I get is a very dim light. I'm debating whether to call an electrician or replace the light fixture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House