Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 01:13 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,020 times

Advertisements

Yes! lol, but finding a quality company is daunting. I don't want to do an endless cycle of refinish, peels off, refinish again, peels off, etc, etc. I use my tub daily, so I want a very durable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It would be rather hard to nail-down the specifics of your "remodel"- price wise.

However, I can tell you that a "mid-range" bath remodel in CO is around $24k/average. ROI is 45% (2023 Cost/Value- Remodeling Magazine). So, based on those numbers I would say that the quotes you have are a bit high. Plus, that's a really bad ROI. I'd be more inclined to having the tub re-done... by someone who knows what the Hell they're doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 01:40 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I don't want to do an endless cycle of refinish, peels off, refinish again, peels off, etc, etc.
I use my tub daily, so I want a very durable solution.
In 2014 I did a few jobs around here incl the bathroom.
For a variety of reasons the decision on finishes blew up.
My solution, as a "get by well enough until" sort of thing is now nine years old and holding up fine.
Only cost me $30 too (at that juncture in the project)
Attached Thumbnails
Bathtub replacement?-bathroom_shower-sink.png  

Old 08-23-2023, 06:13 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Im just wanting a new tub and surround. They quoted me for demo of everything down to studs, waterproof coating on walls, replace tub, new shower fixtures. Im still getting a few more quotes. Im jus wondering if 8-10,000 is too high?
Assuming no plumbing/foundation issues.
It's high for a basic standard dimensions tub. Really depends what you're doing with the surround. Most people don't. They just get a fiberglass shower/tub and drop it in so there is no surround.

Old 08-27-2023, 02:44 PM

3,502 posts, read 2,665,554 times
Did a bathroom remodeling 7 months ago.

Old 08-27-2023, 06:24 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Yes! lol, but finding a quality company is daunting. I don't want to do an endless cycle of refinish, peels off, refinish again, peels off, etc, etc. I use my tub daily, so I want a very durable solution.
I'd like you to think about "down the road" for a minute. While your ultimate solution may be a new tub, I want you to consider an "ADA" compliant fixture. (Yes, I know you love "tub-time!")
Unless you already have an ADA set-up in another bath, you may want to focus your energies (and $$$$) on this endeavor. (And, IF you're a veteran you may qualify for about $8000 to retrofit your existing bathroom, thru the VA.) Something to look into, if you meet the qualifications....

Old 08-27-2023, 06:48 PM

19,784 posts, read 22,680,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
If we had the room in our bathroom for a walk-in shower and soaking tub we would've done that. When we bought our house it had a ginormous PINK soaking tub. Like outdoor jacuzzi size. And fregin pink toilet.

We had it remodeled and have a big walk in shower now- all tiled up. But I do like a sane sized soaking tub like a cast iron claw foot tub...

Old 08-28-2023, 08:56 AM

It took about 4 months to get everything ordered such as the bathtub, new toilet, sinks, and all figures plus pick the different tiles and floor.

The job took about three weeks to complete the remodel, the water lines had to be moved as did the bathtub drain.

I did not want a door on the shower also added a new exhaust and heather. The job also required some sheetrock work and painting.

The total cost for everything was $21K. I paid the contractor and the sups separately.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post

Saloon swinging doors on the water closet!!!?
That’s absolutely ridiculous!

Old 08-28-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Saloon swinging doors on the water closet!!!?
That’s absolutely ridiculous!
Not for everyone, but could not think of a better solution for some privacy.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:37 AM

8,153 posts, read 8,357,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I'd like you to think about "down the road" for a minute. While your ultimate solution may be a new tub, I want you to consider an "ADA" compliant fixture. (Yes, I know you love "tub-time!")
Unless you already have an ADA set-up in another bath, you may want to focus your energies (and $$$$) on this endeavor. (And, IF you're a veteran you may qualify for about $8000 to retrofit your existing bathroom, thru the VA.) Something to look into, if you meet the qualifications....
This is an excellent comment. Since I was 73 when we upgraded our master bath, and a daily bathtub user, I explored ADA compliant tubs with walk in doors. Problem is, they offer a sitting soak, not a full body stretch. Also one has to sit as the tub fills and empties.

My best solution was a soaker tub that is “built in” with deep edging all around and grab bars so one can swing out unto the ledge. Today its popular to use the stand alone bathtubs (vs. built-in with surround) and I’ve had one…hated it. No place to put a cold drink or bathing products, no place to swing my body to sit along the side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House