Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 12:52 PM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times

Advertisements

Hi! I want to replace the bathtub and surround in my home. (Built in 1983). The current tub/walls was an outdated almond color cast iron tub. I paid about $1200.00 to have them refinished to white. It only lasted a few months before it started peeling off. (The company that did it did not prep the surface correctly, having them come to repair is not an option)

I don't want to keep refinishing and have it not last, so Im wondering if a new tub is a better option. I have 2 quotes so far, $8000.00 and $10,000! Do these quotes seem too high? (Bath remodel companies) This is replacing tub, 3 wall surround, new fixtures, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 01:28 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
I paid $17K in 2021 for tearing out & replacing surrounds, installing new tub, building new shower, all tile work. All plumbing. Installing new sinks & countertops and painting the double vanity.

Just for your comparison. I paid for all materials ~ faucets, all tiles, the bathtub, the sinks, countertops and glass shower enclosure. So basically my $17K was just for labor. So if your $8-10K includes materials and all the surround tiles & installation, it sounds reasonable.

I had my own electrician replace lighting. Just something for you to consider. I got a really nice soaking bathtub mail order from Wayfair. I think a new tub is a good idea, especially if the old one wasn’t particularly comfortable to lounge in.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:36 PM

good info! Im just replacing tub/tile walls/hardware. and these quotes include parts/labor/waterproofing behind shower walls. They basically take everything down to the studs and replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I paid $17K in 2021 for tearing out & replacing surrounds, installing new tub, building new shower, all tile work. All plumbing. Installing new sinks & countertops and painting the double vanity.

Just for your comparison. I paid for all materials ~ faucets, all tiles, the bathtub, the sinks, countertops and glass shower enclosure. So basically my $17K was just for labor. So if your $8-10K includes materials and all the surround tiles & installation, it sounds reasonable.

I had my own electrician replace lighting. Just something for you to consider. I got a really nice soaking bathtub mail order from Wayfair. I think a new tub is a good idea, especially if the old one wasn’t particularly comfortable to lounge in.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I have 2 quotes so far, $8000.00 and $10,000! Do these quotes seem too high?
(Bath remodel companies)
The same bath remodel companies slathered all over the TV?

Old 08-21-2023, 04:25 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Those are usually pulling out bathtubs and putting in showers. This is not the OP’s project.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:25 PM

no, lol. not rebath or bathfitter, bathwraps, etc. Not those companies. So far, I've had 2 quotes, each is a bath remodel company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

Old 08-22-2023, 02:08 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
It would be rather hard to nail-down the specifics of your "remodel"- price wise.

However, I can tell you that a "mid-range" bath remodel in CO is around $24k/average. ROI is 45% (2023 Cost/Value- Remodeling Magazine). So, based on those numbers I would say that the quotes you have are a bit high. Plus, that's a really bad ROI. I'd be more inclined to having the tub re-done... by someone who knows what the Hell they're doing!

Old 08-23-2023, 12:00 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Porcelain enameled-steel tubs, can't you buy those starting at about 300 to 400 dollars?

Installation must involve a lot of work, the price to install a tub is a LOT more than I
thought it would be.

Old 08-23-2023, 12:58 PM

975 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Hi! I want to replace the bathtub and surround in my home. (Built in 1983). The current tub/walls was an outdated almond color cast iron tub. I paid about $1200.00 to have them refinished to white. It only lasted a few months before it started peeling off. (The company that did it did not prep the surface correctly, having them come to repair is not an option)

I don't want to keep refinishing and have it not last, so Im wondering if a new tub is a better option. I have 2 quotes so far, $8000.00 and $10,000! Do these quotes seem too high? (Bath remodel companies) This is replacing tub, 3 wall surround, new fixtures, etc.
Last year I paid almost 60,000 for a bathroom/laundry room remodel. it entailed removing two walls, adding one wall, tile and putting in a walk in shower instead of a tub. Then there was electrical work that needed to be done once the walls were out (one place looked like it could have started a fire and I have no idea why it didn't,there was burned wood) If the walls and fixtures need to be replaced those prices are probably normal for the current time. The price might go up depending on what they find behind the walls or if they have to do electrical work.

I forgot to mention the new water heater and the re-do on the sewer lines.

Old 08-23-2023, 01:12 PM

Im just wanting a new tub and surround. They quoted me for demo of everything down to studs, waterproof coating on walls, replace tub, new shower fixtures. Im still getting a few more quotes. Im jus wondering if 8-10,000 is too high?
Assuming no plumbing/foundation issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It would be rather hard to nail-down the specifics of your "remodel"- price wise.

However, I can tell you that a "mid-range" bath remodel in CO is around $24k/average. ROI is 45% (2023 Cost/Value- Remodeling Magazine). So, based on those numbers I would say that the quotes you have are a bit high. Plus, that's a really bad ROI. I'd be more inclined to having the tub re-done... by someone who knows what the Hell they're doing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House