Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 10:33 AM

69 posts, read 27,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Whatever you do, if you get something like an engineered Brazilian cherry (we got ours from Lumber Liquidators and had a fantastic installer), DON'T put area rugs on top of the flooring until it darkens up a couple of shades, which this wood does.

We made that mistake and had a large, lighter square underneath! ugh. We've pulled up the rug and the lighter flooring is catching up but not nearly as fast as I'd hoped. We've had a wonky weather summer and inconsistent sunlight. I may have to put the rug back on come winter. It's echo'y in here.
I presently have cherry wood floors throughout and do not like the look. It's not awful, but simply not in keeping with my design aesthetic. I plan to go with white oak. I'm just beginning to conduct research on the best installers and types of flooring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? Really, what is so awful about the floors you bought last time?
I'd think this info (FROM THE INSTALLER who sells it) comes before the decision to use their line - vs what another installer uses.
...and just in case NO! Lowes, HD, etc don't qualify.
The floors are not bad, but I certainly didn't pick them. They were put in by the previous owner, who lived in the condo for a number of years.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If you’re asking about brands- I’ll assume you’re talking about pre finished flooring.
Are you thinking 3/4”, or 3/8” engineered flooring?

Do some homework before asking such a general question- otherwise you get anything and everything for answers!

I’m sure your neighbor that lives below you would appreciate carpet- DuPont make several lines!
I have area rugs in the living room, dining room and bedrooms. I have no intention of ever getting wall to wall carpet.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
White Oak.
Quarter sawn or Rift Sawn.
I laid about 800SF of natural prefinished quartersawn select and better white oak in our home 20 years ago, and it still looks great. If we ever tire of it, it can be sanded and stained and re-finished.

https://hickmanwoods.com/floors/cuts...wn-and-grades/

https://hickmanwoods.com/floors/find...-quarter-sawn/

https://hickmanwoods.com/floors/find...-quarter-sawn/

They will prefinish if you want:

https://hickmanwoods.com/frequently-asked-questions/
Of course, prefinished may require some sort of eased edge and ends. Ours are micro-eased. If you have the floors finished onsite, the smoothness is lovely and the boards will almost completely blend together.
The links that you shared are very nice. I have a lot of decisions to make.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:41 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Ill try this again-

Those appear to be site-finished floors. It is most likely white or red oak (the grain and the rays are a dead give away- cherry has a smaller/tighter grain pattern) with a cherry stain. If you have floor registers, you can pull a register up and look at the end cut to see.

If the flooring is by chance not 3/4" thick and is instead about 3/8" thick/with well defined layers- it's engineered.

Site-finished can be sanded clear- and you can stain a new color, or leave natural. Some engineered floors I have seen sanded clear and refinished- but that will be the one and only time it can be done. It has to be done by someone who has decades of wood flooring experience.

I would definitely look into this before going hog-wild on a tear-out!

Old 09-04-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Ill try this again-

Those appear to be site-finished floors. It is most likely white or red oak (the grain and the rays are a dead give away- cherry has a smaller/tighter grain pattern) with a cherry stain. If you have floor registers, you can pull a register up and look at the end cut to see.

If the flooring is by chance not 3/4" thick and is instead about 3/8" thick/with well defined layers- it's engineered.

Site-finished can be sanded clear- and you can stain a new color, or leave natural. Some engineered floors I have seen sanded clear and refinished- but that will be the one and only time it can be done. It has to be done by someone who has decades of wood flooring experience.

I would definitely look into this before going hog-wild on a tear-out!
I have the information on the floors and they are 3/4" thick and were site finished. Perhaps if I had the time and inclination to find an experienced person to sand and stain them, I'd keep it, but at this point, I'm getting my kitchen redone and want oak floors in a chevron style throughout my apartment.

I'll donate the wood flooring that is pulled up.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:29 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
The links that you shared are very nice. I have a lot of decisions to make.
I assumed your condo project is in the east, "Location: DC Metro and NY"
So I picked PA Appalachian hardwood vendors. I figured shipping to your location shouldn't be too awfully expensive.
I don't know either of the owners.

Hickman can provide prefinished or unfinished flooring.
They think most folks will prefer unfinished/finished on-site for a superior appearance.
But, prefinished lets you skip a lot of dust and mess from sanding and finishing, and also time for installation.
Once a board is installed, that board is done.

Additionally, there is a mill in Central PA that will provide prefinished or unfinished white oak flooring.
https://peacheyhardwoodflooring.com/...ift-quartered/

Both probably offer good products. Be choosy on who might do the installation!

Old 09-04-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I assumed your condo project is in the east, "Location: DC Metro and NY"
So I picked PA Appalachian hardwood vendors. I figured shipping to your location shouldn't be too awfully expensive.
I don't know either of the owners.

Hickman can provide prefinished or unfinished flooring.
They think most folks will prefer unfinished/finished on-site for a superior appearance.
But, prefinished lets you skip a lot of dust and mess from sanding and finishing, and also time for installation.
Once a board is installed, that board is done.

Additionally, there is a mill in Central PA that will provide prefinished or unfinished white oak flooring.
https://peacheyhardwoodflooring.com/...ift-quartered/

Both probably offer good products. Be choosy on who might do the installation!
The stained chevron floors in the link are absolutely beautiful. The grain pattern and color matches my design style.

I plan to work with a certified designer. I know that I want real wood and will definitely have the floors finished on site by a vetted professional.

Now I can't stop thinking about how beautiful those wood floors will look throughout my entire home.

Old 09-04-2023, 08:05 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
If I were to install high end floors in a chevron style I would have the ends cut at 90 degrees and interweave them.

Old 09-05-2023, 03:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I have the information on the floors and they are 3/4" thick and were site finished.
Had you started this exercise with a REAL wood flooring contractor...

Quote:
Perhaps if I had the time and inclination to find an experienced person to sand and stain them...
psst... These are the same people who would install the new wood flooring.

Quote:
I'll donate the wood flooring that is pulled up.
Not likely. Even if you paid the money required for the crew to remove them carefully enough that some/most can be re-used...
are you willing to pay that extra bill too?
Quote:
I'm getting my kitchen redone and want oak floors in a chevron style throughout my apartment.
oh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House