Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 08:42 AM

69 posts, read 27,538 times

Advertisements

I plan to update the flooring throughout my condo with white oak wood. Does anyone have a good suggestion in terms of brands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2023, 08:47 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
I used a local mill, recommended by my carpenter, for flooring and woodwork.

Are you talking about actual wood, or laminate?

Last edited by Pitt Chick; 09-02-2023 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-02-2023, 12:44 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I plan to update the flooring throughout my condo with white oak wood.
Why? Really, what is so awful about the floors you bought last time?
Quote:
Does anyone have a good suggestion in terms of brands?
I'd think this info (FROM THE INSTALLER who sells it) comes before the decision to use their line - vs what another installer uses.
...and just in case NO! Lowes, HD, etc don't qualify.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:03 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
There are no brands for real wood.
Make sure the wood sits in your dwelling for 2-4 weeks before installation.
Vet the installer.

Old 09-02-2023, 08:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I plan to update the flooring throughout my condo with white oak wood. Does anyone have a good suggestion in terms of brands?

If you’re asking about brands- I’ll assume you’re talking about pre finished flooring.
Are you thinking 3/4â€, or 3/8†engineered flooring?

Do some homework before asking such a general question- otherwise you get anything and everything for answers!

I’m sure your neighbor that lives below you would appreciate carpet- DuPont make several lines!

Old 09-02-2023, 08:11 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
There are no brands for real wood.

Of course there is- it’s stamped on the backside of every plank.

Old 09-03-2023, 05:16 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
White Oak.
Quarter sawn or Rift Sawn.
I laid about 800SF of natural prefinished quartersawn select and better white oak in our home 20 years ago, and it still looks great. If we ever tire of it, it can be sanded and stained and re-finished.

https://hickmanwoods.com/floors/cuts...wn-and-grades/

https://hickmanwoods.com/floors/find...-quarter-sawn/

https://hickmanwoods.com/floors/find...-quarter-sawn/

They will prefinish if you want:

https://hickmanwoods.com/frequently-asked-questions/
Of course, prefinished may require some sort of eased edge and ends. Ours are micro-eased. If you have the floors finished onsite, the smoothness is lovely and the boards will almost completely blend together.

Old 09-03-2023, 07:19 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Whatever you do, if you get something like an engineered Brazilian cherry (we got ours from Lumber Liquidators and had a fantastic installer), DON'T put area rugs on top of the flooring until it darkens up a couple of shades, which this wood does.

We made that mistake and had a large, lighter square underneath! ugh. We've pulled up the rug and the lighter flooring is catching up but not nearly as fast as I'd hoped. We've had a wonky weather summer and inconsistent sunlight. I may have to put the rug back on come winter. It's echo'y in here.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:17 PM

9,143 posts, read 6,196,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Whatever you do, if you get something like an engineered Brazilian cherry (we got ours from Lumber Liquidators and had a fantastic installer), DON'T put area rugs on top of the flooring until it darkens up a couple of shades, which this wood does.

We made that mistake and had a large, lighter square underneath! ugh. We've pulled up the rug and the lighter flooring is catching up but not nearly as fast as I'd hoped. We've had a wonky weather summer and inconsistent sunlight. I may have to put the rug back on come winter. It's echo'y in here.

The UV glass in our hurricane-impact windows has reduced the fading of floors and furniture.

Really helps, especially here in Florida.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:25 AM

69 posts, read 27,538 times
Thanks for all of your feedback. I've attached a photo of the floors that I'm presently working with throughout the living room, dining area, and two bedrooms. The flooring is relatively low maintenance, but it's simply not in keeping with my design aesthetic.

I absolutely hate the look of the vinyl fake wood flooring. I know for certain that I want real wood and will probably opt for a chevron pattern throughout the condo (except of course in the bathrooms).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat_Oenedos
Attached Thumbnails
Condo Wood Floor Renovations-img_6971.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House