Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 02:32 PM

11,148 posts, read 9,787,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Agree with the oven cleaner but why turn this into a multi-day chore? If you want to start the process off with heated glass, just put the dish in the microwave for a few seconds. Then apply cleaner and let it work. If you're not sure the dish is microwave safe you can test it first or heat it in a warm oven instead.
Or just fill it with hot water from the kettle for a few minutes.

I've also heard that you should soak it with a dryer sheet in the water overnight, then scrub. Sometimes I clean my oven racks and BBQ grills with ammonia ... place a layer of newspaper or paper towels in a plastic trash bag, place paper towels, layers of newspaper, or rags on the on the soiled area, wet the paper or rags down with ammonia, seal bag and place in sun, or out in the garage, overnight then the brown stuff scrubs right off after sitting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 03:45 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,003,149 times
Just finished cleaning. The easy-off worked a treat. Sprayed it down fully, in the oven @175 for 1 hr., rinsed the excess off in the sink, scrubbed a bit more with the barkeepers friend, and it looks brand new. Total time: 1 hr 15 min.

Thanks all!

Old 02-17-2024, 03:47 PM

30,478 posts, read 21,337,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
I have scoured yt, but the only videos I find it how to clean from scratch, not get off any excess as in the pic below.

I have scrubbed with brillo pads, Dobe pads with barkeeper's friend, let it soak overnight (multiple times) in warm, soapy water, but I can't get that stuff off. Any ideas? Thanks!
I soak and toke it over nite, Easy off will do the trick.

Old 02-17-2024, 04:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,016,479 times
Another vote for EZ-Off. I've used it successfully for glass baking dishes & even to deep clean an old metal sink in an old apt.

The only disadvantage to that product is the horrible smell (although I have asthma, to be fair) if it has to be used indoors, like on an oven or aforementioned sink.

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2024, 05:39 PM

22,307 posts, read 19,272,896 times
oven cleaners and ammonia are toxic, and i will not have or use toxic chemicals (a) at all in my home, and (b) especially not on a dish which i use for baking and eating food.

so the non-toxic method i use is soaking it in hot water, shake bon ami non-toxic scouring powder on it, let it sit for a wile, then scrubbing it with an old tooth brush. For the really stubborn parts i gently scrape with the dull edge of a butter knife.

this also works for stubborn baked-on stains on my glass-top stove.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,261,881 times
Comet, a green scrubby and elbow grease

Old 02-17-2024, 08:15 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,016,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
oven cleaners and ammonia are toxic, and i will not have or use toxic chemicals (a) at all in my home, and (b) especially not on a dish which i use for baking and eating food.

so the non-toxic method i use is soaking it in hot water, shake bon ami non-toxic scouring powder on it, let it sit for a wile, then scrubbing it with an old tooth brush. For the really stubborn parts i gently scrape with the dull edge of a butter knife.

this also works for stubborn baked-on stains on my glass-top stove.
I hear what you're saying, but to be fair, any chemicals used, including detergents, are toxic if not properly rinsed. I wouldn't want to eat any Bon Ami either. Anything soaked long enough in water will become clear of any chemicals... or put through the d/w a time or 2 will do the same.

But, honestly, in my case it all comes down to muscle strength & what kind of elbow grease you've got. I've seen people scrub pots/pans/carpet stains/etc to perfection, but they were guys & have far more muscle strength. I'm a girl, have never been that physically strong & have at times had to let the chemicals do the work. I've used 1/2-dozen products with no success, then a guy has come along, scrubbed something for 60-seconds with just liquid detergent & it's clean.

I feel the same way with carrying bags from the store. Each 1-2 bags is 1 trip for me... I've seen guys grab 4 heavy bags in 1 hand & 4 in the other & it's one trip.

Old 02-17-2024, 08:37 PM

22,307 posts, read 19,272,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I hear what you're saying, but to be fair, any chemicals used, including detergents, are toxic if not properly rinsed. I wouldn't want to eat any Bon Ami either. Anything soaked long enough in water will become clear of any chemicals... or put through the d/w a time or 2 will do the same.

But, honestly, in my case it all comes down to muscle strength & what kind of elbow grease you've got. I've seen people scrub pots/pans/carpet stains/etc to perfection, but they were guys & have far more muscle strength. I'm a girl, have never been that physically strong & have at times had to let the chemicals do the work. I've used 1/2-dozen products with no success, then a guy has come along, scrubbed something for 60-seconds with just liquid detergent & it's clean.

I feel the same way with carrying bags from the store. Each 1-2 bags is 1 trip for me... I've seen guys grab 4 heavy bags in 1 hand & 4 in the other & it's one trip.
oven cleaner is poison. bleach and ammonia are poison.
Bon Ami is not poison.

"Bon Ami contains 5 simple ingredients and no fragrance, bleach, dyes or other toxic ingredients like those found in Ajax and Comet."

Old 02-18-2024, 12:43 AM

1,835 posts, read 816,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Comet, a green scrubby and elbow grease
I was going to say this, you beat me to it. Ajax works, too. Bon Ami doesn't cut it.

Old 02-18-2024, 06:33 AM

9,481 posts, read 5,259,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I never would have though of magic eraser for a glass cooking dish/bowl.
That's what I was going to suggest!!! those things are amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House