Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:20 PM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

I'm currently dreaming about a teeny, tiny house--in my mind it looks like a little cottage or bungalow with window boxes filled with flowers and a white picket fence--I feel like I've fallen into a Disney movie or something and the deer and the butterflies are about to enter the scene...

But I was wondering--does anyone else have this fantasy--or does anyone live in a tiny house and loves it?

It would be great to hear from you...! And why a tiny house fantasy in the first place??? What does it mean??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 03:29 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I live in the woods, deer eat flowers......

Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
There's a couple of sites that you should check out if you want to indulge your fantasy:

Tumbleweed Tiny House Company

TinyHouses

Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Then you can play Don Ho's song "Tiny Bubbles" when you are in your tiny home.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,899 times
I live in a tiny redbrick two storey house; living room, kitchen, bathroom, double bedroom, single bedroom, patio & garden. Cute as a button, (tourists are always photographing it) easy to heat, easy to clean. Had tons of room when I first moved in, as time has gone on I've had to get creative about shelving and storage. You always need more room than you think - or dream.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Google Ross Chapin's designs. His firm has come up with some of the most cunning little houses. Several cities with plans for high density, low impact communities have used his plans.

Personally, I'd love to get out of our 1800 sq ft waste of space. Having no kids, we "live" in a 12x15 room for media/relaxing, have a kitchen of similar size; use the 5x7 bathroom and sleep in the 9x10 bedroom. The rest of the house is just "space" for "stuff", 99% that I look at and say "why in the sam hill did I buy that?"

Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Yes, Silverwing, you hit the ol nail right on its head! We're in about the same space as you--have a formal dining room and a formal living room we never use---our family room has an alcove with a dining room table there that seats four--and when we entertain, it's either one other couple or a big bash that's a buffet so we don't use the formal dining room but maybe 2x year...figure we could do with 600 Sf less than we have. We kind of need three bedrooms as we each work from home and have our home offices--but those two offices can be tiny--or, if the house were well-designed, could be alcoves that fit a desk and a file cabinet and some shelving...maybe a house with 2-3 bay alcoves--that would be kind of cool...

Or multi-use rooms that have fold-away beds like Murphy or cabinet beds...kind of like that concept, too.

Never made sense to me to have dedicated rooms with regular beds that take up all that floor space for only 8 hours or so of use in a 24-hour period...I read once that Thomas Jefferson, at Monticello, had his bed rise to the ceiling by using pulleys when it wasn't in use--smart man...

Old 07-23-2008, 10:53 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
Here's one for sale in Sarasota, Florida

MyFox Tampa Bay | Mysterious house on sale in Sarasota (http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7020100&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1 - broken link)

Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 AM

14 posts, read 39,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'm currently dreaming about a teeny, tiny house--in my mind it looks like a little cottage or bungalow with window boxes filled with flowers and a white picket fence--I feel like I've fallen into a Disney movie or something and the deer and the butterflies are about to enter the scene...

But I was wondering--does anyone else have this fantasy--or does anyone live in a tiny house and loves it?

It would be great to hear from you...! And why a tiny house fantasy in the first place??? What does it mean??

It means you hate to clean.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,781 times
I know I couldn't live in a house that small with my 12 year old daughter. I'd go insane but the idea of those tiny houses really fascinate me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House