Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM

15 posts, read 49,717 times

Advertisements

How on earth do we organize and work in such a small laundry room? Ours opens to the garage and the living area (doors leading to each). It has one shelf above ...and a high ceiling. Any advice on how to make this room more functional would be most appreciated! Does anyone else have a laundry like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katamom View Post
How on earth do we organize and work in such a small laundry room? Ours opens to the garage and the living area (doors leading to each). It has one shelf above ...and a high ceiling. Any advice on how to make this room more functional would be most appreciated! Does anyone else have a laundry like this?
two options..
1. get a stackable washer/dryer combo or
2. they make an all in one unit... single unit that washes and dries your clothes.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:11 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
How much space are we talking about? Are the W/D on the same wall (I'm guessing they are with one shelf)? I'm assuming you have a standard washer and dryer and not stackable? There would be the first place to grab space if you can. Another would be to buy/build a riser with a drawer of some sort to raise the W/D 6" or so...at least it would give you some space underneath for dryer sheets, extra hangers, etc. I'd use that space above all the way to the ceiling for shelving to put little used items. Can you replace the current shelf with a drop down on hinges to use as a folding surface?

I have friends who have the combination W/D that does it all...and takes all day to do it. Perhaps there is a difference in the performance of different brands, but if they do a load of towels it literally takes all morning to get them through the wash and dry cycle...and they are NEVER completely dry. Big pain from their point of view, but I have no personal experience with them.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:16 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
How much space are we talking about? Are the W/D on the same wall (I'm guessing they are with one shelf)? I'm assuming you have a standard washer and dryer and not stackable? There would be the first place to grab space if you can. Another would be to buy/build a riser with a drawer of some sort to raise the W/D 6" or so...at least it would give you some space underneath for dryer sheets, extra hangers, etc. I'd use that space above all the way to the ceiling for shelving to put little used items. Can you replace the current shelf with a drop down on hinges to use as a folding surface?

I have friends who have the combination W/D that does it all...and takes all day to do it. Perhaps there is a difference in the performance of different brands, but if they do a load of towels it literally takes all morning to get them through the wash and dry cycle...and they are NEVER completely dry. Big pain from their point of view, but I have no personal experience with them.
Bosch all in one is huge in Europe and is now starting to get very popular here.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
That's where they first saw this contraption - both military in Europe. They didn't actually own one until they got here and were on limited space. I don't know the brand, but I know they are now building an official laundry room to house a standard W/D set. They bought theirs a couple of years ago...again, the newer ones may be better. I thought it was the coolest idea I'd seen in a while, but my friend spoke so strongly against it that I changed my mind. There are just 3 in their family, two adults and a 14-year-old, and they cannot keep up with the laundry due to the length of cycles.

Flip side is I've always been very pleased with anything Bosch makes, so it might be worth a shot. I'd surely try to find someone who owned one or do a lot of research and read reviews before investing, though.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:17 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,551,138 times
We have the exact same set up. Laundry is in our pass through from garage to kitchen. About 5 feet wide, by 6 feet long - angled, with doors at each end.

We are stacking our new Samsung w/d. then putting a freestanding pantry closet/shelf next to them. No ironing board for us (we don't iron) - but that will give us enough room for laundry and other cleaning supplies.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:33 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
We have a similar issue... my problem is when people walk by to go to the powder room... it drives me nuts... We got upper cabinets and put them above our machines for extra storage. I have a coat closet there that I actually turned into a laundry closet with shelves. On each shelf I have a laundry basket for each person in the house. I fold and put each person's laundry in the basket as it comes out of the dryer... this keeps my LR neater... I also keep all of the dirty laundry in hampers in everyone's closet in order to keep the walkway free from cludder... it is difficult... and takes a lot of order and a bit of OCD to make it all work.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:22 AM

955 posts, read 3,648,894 times
I guess I don't really DO anything in our laundry room other then toss the clothes in and wash them - I don't fold, sort, or hang clothes there - I wash and dry, toss them in the basket and fold / hang / iron / steam while watching TV if the kids are in bed or while they are playing and "helping". Our laundry situation is similar - in the pass through from the kitchen to the garage - the other wall has a door to our big walk in pantry and we have a shelf above the w&d as well as cabnets above the shelf -

All our laundry baskets are kept in the closets in everyones bedrooms and bathrooms so I would never think to keep them in the laundry area and when the laudnry is done we just put it all away... I guess I wouldn't know what to do with more space

I acutally plan to move our laundry to the walkout basement when we finish it and to turn the current laundry pass through area into a mud room

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
What do you need to organize?

When small go minimal.
What do you really need in there and what can go elsewhere?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
How much space do you need to do the laundry? Enough to swing a laundry basket and store a bottle of detergent sounds functional enough to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House