Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:10 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,005,761 times

Advertisements

How do I clean that off? I have tried Stainless steel polish/cleaner. Warm soapy water (Dawn Soap) 409, ? I am afraid to scratch it. One burner on my stove top is just yellow and dirty looking around the burner no matter what I do. It is only a two year old stove top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:19 AM

472 posts, read 1,709,699 times
This stuff is essentially polymerized oil, a sort of natural plastic. It's very hard to get off with chemical cleaners. In a commercial kitchen, they hire a steam cleaner guy to get it off, about once a year.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
This stuff is essentially polymerized oil, a sort of natural plastic. It's very hard to get off with chemical cleaners. In a commercial kitchen, they hire a steam cleaner guy to get it off, about once a year.
So do you think if I got a steam cleaner it would come off? Or would only a commercial type do the trick. It is an eye sore for me.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM

472 posts, read 1,709,699 times
The type of steam cleaning I am thinking of is a service rather than a product-- I have no experience with steam cleaner machines. I would not necessarily run out and buy a special tool for this.

In fact, here's something else you could try-- it might work, it might not. But it shouldn't do any harm. Get some Soft Scrub, and put it on a damp (not wet) nylon scrubby pad. Make sure the pad is NYLON only, not copper or steel wool, as that definitely would scratch. Start scrubbing, gently at first, testing on an inconspicuous spot, as they say. Sometimes these "stainless" appliances are faux, just silver painted metal, and won't hold up well to heavy scrubbing.

If the stuff does not come off after a lot of elbow grease, then I would call a commercial cleaning company.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I wonder if a chlorine bleach product would work? Sometimes my stainless steel sink needs a dose of it to remove stains.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:16 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO to the soft scrub.

Seriously NO!

Clorine bleach + hot HOT water + soft rag with multiple wipe sessions and a good rinse will get it.

But easier than that Easy Off oven cleaner. Just spray it on and let it set. Wipe it of with a soft cloth. Never ever use anything that has scrub or grit to it on stainless steel.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:08 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
There is something in the auto supply store called "Wheel Magic". It's green and in a spray bottle and I have seen it take stuff off that nothing else would touch. My husband restores old jukeboxes and it's amazing the stuff that comes off the inside parts..........if people saw it they would NEVER smoke again! The ones that come from the bars are the worst. The tar residue is GROSS!!

Anyway, I would definately try the Wheel Magic.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:14 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
Have you tried those Mr. Clean white pads?

I have been simply amazed at what they get off of my stove.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,043,047 times
Default NO Soft Scrub !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOO to the soft scrub.

Seriously NO!

Clorine bleach + hot HOT water + soft rag with multiple wipe sessions and a good rinse will get it.

But easier than that Easy Off oven cleaner. Just spray it on and let it set. Wipe it of with a soft cloth. Never ever use anything that has scrub or grit to it on stainless steel.
Ditto. No abrasive cleaners!!! I can't believe that they recommended that!

I had SS appliances in my last house. The best cleaner I found for it was Vinegar and Water.

I never had yellowing because mine was a professional stove and the entire stove top was black so you couldn't see the grease build up.

I bet you could get it off with a Shark steam cleaner if you know someone who has one. You shouldn't have to pay anyone to come in and clean it.
In fact, you might try microwaving a wet rag, getting it hot and laying it on there to see if it softens it...

You also might try Simple Green which is a degreaser.

Last edited by World Citizen; 09-14-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Update I used the Easy off oven cleaner. Left it on for about 20 minutes and it wiped off like butter. Thanks for the great tip Pitt Transplant. I would have never thought of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House